PDA

View Full Version : St. Croix Trout Rod vs. G Loomis Trout Rod

panther
09-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I want to buy a really good, sensitive trout rod. St. Croix sells a 7" Ultra Light for $160. G Loomis sells a 7" Ultra Light for $320. How good are the St. Croix rods? Are they comparable to a G Loomis?
Panther

truot_chaser_2
09-13-2009, 03:45 AM
you can build a g-loomis for around $225.00. to $400.00 if you know how i build a 6' st croix for $75.00 to $125.00 .call mud hole tackle at 1-866-790-rods or go to wwwmudholetackle.com and order all part you need get catalog . george aka troutchaser

Zebco Kid
09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Panther,

I use a 7' St. Croix rod. Below is the link. It is medium. I've used it to bring in everything from 1 lb trout to 7 lb trout. All have been enjoyable. I use it in my downriggers, and the rod has plenty of action to flex, and show strikes.

I like the rod so much that a month ago I lost my rod and reel in Upper Klamath Lake. I ordered two rods from LL Bean on my cell phone while on the water.

By the way, I've paired the rods with Shimano Symetre 2500 reels. So smooth!

I just love catching fish with this setup.

Good luck.

DG

Rod -
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=50253&storeId=1&catalog Id=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

Reel -
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=5CWVDA0ODV0ILLAQBBKCCO3MCAEFKI WE?id=0060367123667a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm _ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0800502&cm_it e=0060367123667a&_requestid=119530

ryanerb
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
woody got me onto the shakespeare agility rods. i love the 7' UL. great rod, however, 29.99. Might not be good enough of a rod for you.

Jfitalia
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I have both rods in the same action and they are totally different. My concern is the price you gave for the Loomis. I have the 6'6" GL2 and it was $155, and the St. Croix was a little cheaper. They are both light action 4-8lb test and extra fast action.

The Loomis is a true fast action rod and loads quickly with the very soft tip. It allows me to cast my 1/80oz jigs a country mile with my 2lb test, as well as having enough back bone to even through a bubble/fly combo. The Loomis is by far the best rod and with that soft tip it has allowed me to land a 9lb, 11.02lb and 12lb trout all on 2lb test.

The St. Croix is alot softer and not as sensitive and therefore I very rarely use it for anything other than bait. It is still a good rod but I dont find myself using it as much because I mainly throw lures and the rod just isnt as sensitive and is too soft even though again they are the same rating.

Hope this helps! :)

Jfitalia
09-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh also I checked online and the Loomis is selling still for $155

Trout_Terminator
09-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Rods are personal preference. When you buy loomis, or crox, you are buying the name. I have made multiples of both, but when fighting amabows i still go back to my synergy made by Shakespeare.

tonyscog3
09-14-2009, 12:38 AM
gloomis will give you the best feel. you shouldnt have to spend more than $200 for a good trout rod for the loomis. i rec going to a local store and looking at their models and pic the one u like best. the sensitivity is unmatched to me and u wont miss anymore hooks sets, lol

fisher5000
09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
St. Croix builds an excellent rod. I have built rods on just about every manufacturer out ther over the last 30 years. I build about 15-20 rods a year. Stay with American made. Years ago, Cabelas line of blanks were great and they were made for them by Loomis. They have since outsourced over seas, as many others have. The quality controls are just not there! I stopped using their blanks after four in a row snapped for no apparent reason below the ferrule >:( Not a good experience after spending 30 hours building a rod, particularly for a customer).
You can't go wrong with Lamiglas, St. Croix,Loomis Rogue. I started building downrigger rods on St. Croix's 7 1/2 ft, 4-10# 1 piece spinning blank in their SC 2 and SC 3. These are built with casting reel seats and guides. The extra length really allows the rod to load up in the rigger.A one piece blank eliminates any weak area and downrigger rods take a ton of abuse. The extra power of the 4-10# blank over the 4-8# gives you plenty of muscle in in the butt for sanapping loose a stuborn downrigger clip, especially when fishing deep. Hope this helps.

panther
09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
You guys are super! You've given me some great advice and a lot to think about. Many thanks,
Panther

Jfitalia
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
if your just dunking bait then you could probably get away with the synergy rod. They are a decent rod however if you want a sensitive rod then go with loomis. There is a HUGE difference that you will notice right away

John_heyd
09-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Panther - both are a good choice - I owned one of the G Loomis GL2 rods myself and it was great - loved it until I lost it - ya it was stupid I left it by a stream and when I went back it was gone. :'( But after looking at other rods I eventually bought a Finwick ultralight for about $50 buck less :) and it is every bit as good as the GL2 - frankly like someone else said it's personal choice - whatever rings your bell. I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $160 buck again for a rod which I might break or lose again. But hey 8-) get what you want.

phil_rydell
09-16-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm with jfitalia I have a friend who started w/ loomis rods and I told him he was crazy for spending 200 plus dollars on a "fishin pole" he said to me just fish with it for one cast and hookup,so I did ... that was in 1994 I went home and threw all of my rods in the trash! I say get a gl2 or gl3 which arent much more than the others but you will surely be able to tell the difference! once you try them you won't be able to go back. :o

Sloughboy
09-16-2009, 02:58 AM
I* really like my* St. Croix's on the downrigger. For kokanee and Trout they're great on the downrigger. Ther're* compsite constucton of resins and graphite productes lighter actioned rod great on the downrigger and playing soft mouthed kokanee.
For casting I like my G-Lomis graphites for sensitivity.
RON

SteelHunter
09-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Hey Panther I have a great rod for you.

Shimano Clarus has a 7-foot, UL, fast action, 2-8# line weight.

this rod is great. Very sensitive. I use it for all my trout fishing...from casting very small spinners and spoons to just dunking some bait in a lake. This rod handles it all. I also use this rod for shad on the American Rv. I pair it up with a Shimano Sedona with 4# test....awesome!

Plus it has a lifetime warranty and only costs about $79 dollars. I have two of them and just love em.

check it out!

dinos marine
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
i love my st croix. i have 3, five foot ul. they are the premier series.
i use them for trolling, bait, and lure fishing. just change the reels :)