PDA

View Full Version : Caribou and Thousand Lakes Wilderness Areas

panther
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
In Lassen County...I want to get out, walk and fish some back-country areas that I am not familiar with. Anybody know how the fishing is in these spots?
Thanks, John

mrsockeye
08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I used to fish some lakes in that area, namely Caribou and a few above Silver that I believe fall into the Caribou Wilderness Area. Most of the lakes in that area have populations of rainbow and brook trout. They will be on the smaller side, a big fish would be something over 16". Getting to the lakes in that area is generally easy walking as far as wilderness lakes go. The fish are pretty oppurtunisitic feeders, a fly rod and general Sierra fly patterns is a good choice, or a spinning rod with Kastmasters, Panther Martins, and other small spoons and spinners will get the job done.

panther
08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Mr. Sockeye. I don't care if the fish are small, I like the combination of hiking, fishing and seeing new (to me) country. I'll head up there in early September, and if it's worth it...I'll let everyone know.

Panther

TNT
08-24-2009, 07:12 AM
I used to spend a bunch of time in the Thousand Lakes Wilderness Area. It's been years since the last time I went. The fishing was always fantastic. Barrett Lake was usually especially good. Magee and Everett lakes are beautiful. Hufford lake is off the regular trail, but if you can get to it, you will probably find the best fishing there. The problem you will find in late summer/fall is fooling fish. There are alot of people who go into that wilderness area. Be prepared for mosquitoes.
--Tom

kpl
08-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I've been to Caribou several times, but not recently. Everytime the fishing was good, though the fish are really shy. largest I ever got was 16". Seemed like early in the season I'd get into brookies, then later rainbows. Fished all the lakes except Silver. Long lakes wasn't stocked, but I've had bites there. I've always gone in at the Hay Meadow trailhead. I remember being there on 4th of July weekend once and only seeing one other group of people over 4 days. The cinder cones are fun (not easy though) to hike up for great views.

panther
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Just got back from this country. Stayed outside of Chester, and found out that the Thousand Lakes Wilderness Area was just too far away from me. It will have to wait for another time. I hiked two days in the Caribou Lakes Wilderness. Only saw one couple, otherwise I had the place to myself. Nice country and not difficult hiking. The first day of fishing I entered from the Cone Lakes trailhead and the fishing was disappointing. Lots of little lakes, but I never saw any fish in the shallows, and never saw one fish jump. Finally managed to hook a really good rainbow...probably about 16 inches. I had him on for about 30 seconds (Kastmaster), but lost him. I'm satisfied that I played him well, but he must not have been hooked well.

The second day, I hiked in from Hay Meadows. Same as the first day (saw no fish in the shallows, no fish jumped), but at Posey Lake I nailed a couple of good ones. The best was a 17" rainbow. Almost all of these lakes seemed to be very shallow near the shoreline, and sloped very gently for a long distance. I like Kastmasters and they were almost a necessity here because it was necessary to make really long casts to hit deeper water.

The third day I decided to rest my body and not hike. So I put my little 9 foot Klamath with an electric motor in little Crater Lake. The lake level was way below the small boat ramp, so getting the boat in was a little tough. But I really enjoyed this lake. Caught a few nice rainbows. The best one was 15". It really is a crater. Shallow at the edges...67 feet deep.

Nice, pretty country. Not great fishing, but enough success to keep you interested and "on your toes".

Panther

YakMotor
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Good report! Sounds like very scenic country. Did you take a camera? Would LOVE to see some pictures!