PDA

View Full Version : Calaveras below New Hogan Dam

k9mark
09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Anyone fished this area lately? What's the current regs for this area?

YakMotor
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the Sniffer forum!

Sorry, I can't help with info as I've never fished that area before, but hopefully someone will respond that does. Just wanted to say Hi and welcome.

Oh, yeah, and DFG regulations can be found online via a Google search.

gbslade
09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Currents regs are
(35) Calaveras River downstream from New
Hogan Dam and the diverting canal (Mormon
Slough) from Bellota Weir downstream to
Interstate Highway 5 (Calaveras and San Joaquin
cos.). Fourth Saturday in May through Mar. 31. Only
artificial lures with barbless hooks may be
used. 1 hatchery trout or 1 hatchery steelhead.

As an anadromous water you will need a Steelhead reporting card. You must also have a Bay Delta Enhancement stamp.

Prince nymphs and micro mayflies work well. Mayfly and caddis emergers can be good for rising fish.

robonthefly
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
It would be best at late evening this time of year. Although my buddy that knows and guides me there likes to nymph it. I would imagine it being really low and spooky type water now. Use light tippets there and a the flies gbslade mentioned were on the money. Try dries . with those droppers . Really fun. There are some nice fish here. Just gotta be stealth mode. Good luck.

cadman1978
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I fished this location with my Dad last monday 8/31. We got there around 9:30 in the morning and started downstream of the bridge. We fished with panther martin's, cast masters and super duper's. I caught 2 bow's and my Dad caught 4 bow's. All around 10-12" each. Gold Panther martins worked really well.

We talked to a couple of real friendly rangers that just generally asked what we were fishing with.

Barbless lures, no bait. Allowed to keep one hatchery fish but you won't get to keep any fish since they don't plant this river at all. Catch and release everything. But these fish fight really good. First one I caught jumped about 3 feet out of the water!

So there's my first ever fishing report! ;D

dilbeck
09-04-2009, 08:17 AM
So there's my first ever fishing report!* ;D

And a terrific one at that! ;D* ;)

Michael