PDA

View Full Version : Buoy Names & Locations

hansolo2009
10-29-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm reading reports that mention "Buoy 2" or "Buoy 5". I'm assuming we're talking about buoys in the SF Bay. Are these unique buoys because common sense tells me that there's got to be numerous "Buoy 2"s in the bay?!?

So, if i'm wrong and Buoy 2 is unique, where is Buoy 2? Where on the net can i get a list of these SF Bay buoys? A quick google search for "SF BAY Buoy" and "SF BAY Buoy list" leads to lame results.

I bought the Navionics app for my iPhone (great app by the way), but a search for buoys comes up with nothing.

Thanks! -han

chrism
10-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Good sources of buoy information include the "hard copy"
fishing maps (sold at most bait shops), as well as most gps navionics charts.

You are correct that there are numerous buoy 2's around the Bay area. So I think to make a good id, it takes some general knowlege about the context of the post it's referenced in.

If they're talking sturgeon or stripers I would think they're most likely talking the buoy mid channel in 15' of water 1/2 mi northeast of the Benecia Bridge that marks the western edge of the shallow mid strait bar. (I'm just saying that because I crossed the bridge last weekend and there must have been 100 boats anchored there.) pure guess.

Can you reference a specific post?

Here's just a quick partial of #2 buoys:

Off Dillon Beach Bodega
Off Tennessee PT. N of Pt. Bonita
SW end of Angel Island
1/2 way TI and Alcatraz
Southhampton Shoals
Pt. San Pablo
etc.

GCinGV
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Could also be the buoy 2 across from Chain Island.
Like Chrism said a set of hard copy charts are good to have. I think something that should be on every boat. The Yachtsman Chart books are a great value. The Norcal Book, which includes the bay and delta, has about 40 or more charts for around $40.00. Individually they are $10.00 to $20.00 for each chart. If you just need the Delta and Bay as mentioned the Fishing maps are pretty good as well.
GC

hansolo2009
10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Thanks. i do have the Bay map that everyone sells at the local shops; it's on the boat however.

Here's the reference for Buoy 5.

"He and his deckhand have been adding to the stores by jigging up more bait from around Buoy 5 and off Sausalito."

chrism
10-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Hans, in the Sausalito context, there is a number 2 bouy (Fl R 4sec) about 1/4 mile off Sausalito Pt.

There is a (Fl G 4 sec ) #5 buoy just off the tip of Bluff Pt. at the N end of The Raccoon Strait on the North tip of the Tibouron Peninsula. very close to shore.

b1gbadbass
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
last week we jigged up a bunch of sardines off fort baker pier, which is in that vicinity (sausalito side of the GG bridge). they seemed to be schooling closer to shore. the furbags were diving around the pier, coming up with sardines in their mouths. we used plain 'ol sabikis (3 hooks of course) with a cast, jerk and slow retrieve method. Go get 'em!