PDA

View Full Version : loon lake?

dodge
06-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Well i want to say hi to everyone being my first post. I'am thinking of heading up to loon lake on Monday or Tuesday, i normally fish for bass but i'am getting interested in fishing for trout more and more. I have a shimano sahara 2500 reel and also a shimano medium 6ft pole do you think that is a good combination. They just stocked loon lake right? What type of lures and other takle should i bring i will be fishing from shore and what areas are good. Sorry for all the questions, take care! 8-)

sprint86
06-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm taking the kids to Ice House tomorrow It's a lot shorter drive, freshly stocked and easy to get around the whole lake take #10 hooks, 2 ft. leader with bullet weights. We will be at the back of the lake where the creek comes in the Dam is good as well. Good luck and welcome to the boards

sprint86
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
And Berkley yellow power eggs

Jfitalia
06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Well Loon is only like 7 miles past ice house.... I was at Loon on wed and did well at the first cove and the first dam with green gulp and a 4ft leader. My buddy tried a shorter leader but got nothing. Oh and yes they stocked both lakes for the first time last week

dodge
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
thanks everyone for posting but what do you mean a leader? If i use say 6lb test use put a swivel on with 4lb line attacked then then the hook? sorry but iam new to this type of fishing.

JMat
06-21-2009, 10:37 PM
thanks everyone for posting but what do you mean a leader?
The distance between the swivel/weight to the hook. Basically it's the distance the bait can float off the bottom when you're using floating baits. Hope this helps.

JMat

GoneCountry
06-22-2009, 04:48 AM
7 miles? feels like 20 but its hard to say which is better the reports Ive read indicate Ice House has been slow and yes it got its first plant.............. Loon on the other hand has had some good reports. As usual havin a boat makes a big diff..........As for me Ice House was ruined for me this year and my window has passed so I have to wait till next year.............................................. .......Thats a tough choice Good Luck and waiting for your reort

Silver_Streak
06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I thought that Ice House wasn't getting plants this year? Did the DFG finish the enviromental impact study? ::)

Jfitalia
06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah the list has changed and now ice house was stocked last week! Now we can all fish the lake again

dodge
06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Finally going to loon tomarro morning work got in the way of me leaving earlier, i picked up some Spring Green powerbait and Rainbow Candy gulp bait, what do you think of these baits, should i use a treble hook or single hook on these baits?

leroy2
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Here is a report on both the lakes in question Best of luck

http://www.sepsprofishing.com/Seps_bite_report.html

Never
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Single hooks are a bit lighter and will float with a small amount of pb. Size 10 or 12 or a salmon egg hook. Try the rock at the end of the fist dam. Or between the powerhouse and the dam. Or off the granite at the spillway. Walk a bit just around the corner.

Never
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Loon is 19 miles from icehouse. 1/2 an hour at least

Bring some worms and a 1/4 oz castmaster.

Jfitalia
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
your right i came in through georgetown so the sign said 7 miles. Although 19 miles really isnt that far and Loon is alot nicer to look at. plus no lake lice

retiredrookie
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
But ROCKS!!!!!! No one warned him about the rocks. Stay in the very middle of the lake from the launch to the old lake. Stay away from the islands until you get your bearing and a good look on your depth finder. Major mountains can appear when you think you are in the middle of a channel.

retiredrookie
06-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Just reread the post and saw no mention of a boat, so I'll shut-up. :-X