PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Report 6/14 (W/ PICS)

ParadisePontoon
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
My wife and I started at Lake Almanor, on the water at 6:30am. *Caught 1 bass after an hour of fishing, so decided to drive the extra hour to Eagle. *This would be our first trip this year, after a great season of fishing last year up there. *
We left the marina and headed to the left out of the jetty towards Merrill Campground. *My wife had a hit, but lost hers. *I then caught this fish...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/EagleJune14002470x313.jpg

We continued fishing and I caught another on a callibaetis nymph...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/EagleJune14003470x313.jpg

That fish jumped about 7 times before getting him into the boat. *I lost another big fish halfway to the boat. *I caught a smaller, 16"er, in front of Camp Ronald McDonald. *Unfortunately, my wife could only get hits, nothing seemed to stick for her.

Had a great time, water was 61 degrees. *Saw the sheriff rescue some suicidal lady who swam about a quarter mile into the lake. :( *She was extremely combative and intoxicated. *Made for some good entertainment when we were putting the boat away.

All fish were released to grow...

- Paradise Pontoon

cgagex3
06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Nice fish and report, just like we always expect out of you. Eagle is on my list this year as a must go to destination.
The fish out of there are beautiful. Soon, very soon.

CG

Jetspray
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice full tails on those Eagle Laker's. The intoxicated lady story was a good one, glad they did a excellent retrieval on her. What size net did they use?.......Jetspray

Captain Compassion
06-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Nice trouts per usual PP. This year I might, just might get up to Eagle.

CC

mrsockeye
06-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I was up there, and I was thinking to myself how much a fly rod could have came in handy. Today, the fish were rising or slurping some kind of emerger right in the surface film. Actually, I think I may have seen you out there. Were you in a baby blue or teal colored drift boat?

ParadisePontoon
06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, Mr. Sockeye, that was us. There was a callibaetis hatch going on. Other bugs were popping as well. Were you on the jetty or in a boat today?

- Paradise Pontoon

mrsockeye
06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Myself, Hooks, and Zhands were in my White North River. Kind of hard to pick it out... White North River's aren't that common are they? The Callibaetis, that is also referred to as the BWO correct? I also saw some kind of very dark colored caddis laying its eggs on the surface. We also hit Almanor on Saturday, and we saw the famed Western Green Drake. God, those things are huge! No wonder the biggest trout rise up out of the depths to eat those things. They are like the size of butterflies. Apparently though, the trout didn't care about them. We didn't see a single one come up and slurp a Green Drake.

ParadisePontoon
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
The BWO is known as baetis. *Callibaetis are bigger and have an up and down flight pattern with big tail antennae, I believe. *Yes the hexagenia (Huge yellow mayfly) hatch has started at Almanor...

Is this what you saw???
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/HexOnIceCustom.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/HexCathyHand1Custom.jpg

- Paradise Pontoon

mrsockeye
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Man, they are huge, and yes, that is what I saw. *They weren't quite prolific, but there were enough of them that I would have thought that something would have came up to eat them. *

I've kind of got one foot in on the fly thing, and one out. *I just am a fan of what works best, and I absolutely love it in the spring time at Pyramid Lake. *There is nothing like the fight on the fly rod. *When I was in Arizona pursuing Apahce Trout, I found the fly rod to be my weapon of choice. *I think this winter when I'm looking for whitefish in the Truckee the indicator rig may be the tool as well.

Nice photos of those huge yellow/green mayflies. *That really puts them in perspective. *So the bugs with what I thought were huge antennas weren't caddis, the were callibaettis? *I didn't capture one, and I saw antennas, so I thought caddis. *So, were you targeting the fish that were feeding in the surface film, stripping buggers, or were you indicatoring, maybe even chasing them with dries?

GOLDENTROUT
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Nice Fish! I cant wait to fish Eagle, I've never been. Thanks for the post and pic's.

troutfan
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Ditto! I can't wait to get into some of those ELT. Soon, very soon! 8-)

Jetspray
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I smoked some Sunday about time to re-supply the freezer......Jetspray

leroy2
06-21-2009, 12:43 PM
You should try to attend the July 4th weekend event. In Spaulding, there is everything from a parade, BBQ, horse shoe tournament and on Sunday, the yearly round table of guides at the Marina. All this is to support Project Eagle Lake trout and keep the fishery productive.

This has always been a fantastic event

Goodtimes
06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
PP,

Nice looking fish as ususal pontoon.

GT