PDA

View Full Version : Fuller Lake 6/20?

Gromulin
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I've checked the DFG website, and it shows they will stock Fuller this week. I'm planning on taking my 7Y/O up there for a day-before-fathers-day trip. I've stopped by the parking area by the dam, and seen a few folks fishing from the bank (as I will be). Any tips as to good bank fishing areas with a 7 year old? Near the dam? I've never been all the way down the road to the boat launch, and don't want to waste much time getting to the water, so any tips are appreciated!

Captain_Morgan
06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure about the bank,I always float tube it. If you can borrow a canoe, that would be the way to go! Your kid ,would love it too! :)

random hookups
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I also float tube it but everytime I show up, there seems to be a ton of bank anglers with limits at the first opening on the side of the road, next to the dam.

dHb
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
there's a little cove on the opposite side of the "parking lot". it's a fairly short, easy walk on the trail.

King James
06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I was there a week ago..go across the dam to an easy trail around to the cove...you will see many fishing pole sticks for holding your rod all along the shore..thus this will give you an idea of where to fish...I ran into two fellas with limits of rainbows that were baitfishing with green power bait...I was casting castmasters and caught two small bows...if you go to the other end I think they charge you for day use....those fellas were the only fisherman I saw....Good Luck.
Fish On..

Gromulin
06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info, guys. First time out with the little dude this year...wish me luck. I'd already planned to go to Fuller before I checked the DFG site...so I'm taking it as a good sign that they are stocking this week!

Denny1969
06-15-2009, 05:10 PM
You have more bank to fish if you access on the dam side. The boat ramp area is better if you fish from a watercraft.

Denny

catcher_on_the_fly
06-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Took the long way home yesterday,stopped by fuller,was amazed at the level of the lake [smiley=sad.gif]it was down alot,they must be working on the flume. As of wed even. I dont think it was stocked yet,caught 1 small bow,the same size they planted last time. If your bank fishin it means that your sitting in the sun. [smiley=sad.gif] Water was warm,hope its still stockable. Lots of hatchings going on,bugs aplenty,good news for the fly guys,saw some tubers having trouble hooken em because the fish were so small,hope the next stock is bigger,wish they would stock some brookies,but they wont. Good luck Gromulin.

bigdewy
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds a little grim.http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif

hunkfisher
06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Fuller is where is learned to fish with my grandpa rex his dad took him there as a kid in the early days, good fishing. U[sets me a bit to see how over fished it has become along with the 5 dollar day use fee, bu ill always fish it. Catch some fish I always do well in my tube with coachmans and cyrtal buggers in the purple variety. right by the dam or the sandbar and inlet. Have fun ill be fishing up in Trindad on my birthday as well. Good Luck!!!!! Love to hear a report.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Gromulin
06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Took the long way home yesterday,stopped by fuller,was amazed at the level of the lake [smiley=sad.gif]it was down alot,they must be working on the flume. As of wed even. I dont think it was stocked yet,caught 1 small bow,the same size they planted last time. If your bank fishin it means that your sitting in the sun. [smiley=sad.gif] Water was warm,hope its still stockable. Lots of hatchings going on,bugs aplenty,good news for the fly guys,saw some tubers having trouble hooken em because the fish were so small,hope the next stock is bigger,wish they would stock some brookies,but they wont. Good luck Gromulin.

Arrrrgh....so how low are we talking about? I'm going up a O'dark thirty, so I'm not too worried about the sun, and I can't see the water temp being above the stocking temp this time of year (hopefully...)

Any suggestions for a Plan B, in the general area, if I get there with the little Dude and it's a bust? Is the bank fiashing at Spaulding, near the parking lot any good? Any suggestions appreciated.

Cofaxtroutman
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Grumulin,

Spaulding bank fishing can be okay. I've caught a couple nice rainbows with worms off the bank. A guy caught a nice 3-5 lb brown off the bank using a crawler last summer. He was out left of the boat ramp a ways, over towards the dams. If you want to catch fish with your son you may try the Bear River below the meadow just past the Bowman exit on Hwy 20. It's loaded with small rainbows. Nothing to get to excited about, but your son should be able to pull something out of the water. Good luck.

Gromulin
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Grumulin,

...If you want to catch fish with your son you may try the Bear River below the meadow just past the Bowman exit on Hwy 20. *It's loaded with small rainbows. *Nothing to get to excited about, but your son should be able to pull something out of the water. *Good luck.

That sounds good too...is there an identifiable parking area on 20 near the river, or is it off a side road?

Cofaxtroutman
06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll PM you.

Gromulin
06-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll PM you.

Much appreciated, brother.

auburnfisher
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
my 2 cents would be go to fuller, walk across the day, follow the trail a little and then cast out an inflated crawler on one rig and pb on another (sliding sinker rig w/ 4' leaders to keep the bait out of all that sea weed down there. i gotta believe you will limit out doing that. to keep things fun, you could toss out a gold 1/4 oz kastmaster with a third rig. good luck!!

rpwlaw11
06-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Definitely go to Fuller. It's easy limits over there where everybody is telling ya. The water can be low or not, you'll limit easily. 2-3 feet leader with your egg sinker and rainbow or chartreuse powerbait. Oh! 4 pound line, no more than 6. You'll limit out in two hours. Should be less. The kid will have fun. I will give you the exact spot and everybody else who just chases the reports. Hopefully you won't be crowded out.

Park at the dam. Go across the dam to the other side where the trees are. Go half way between the point and the cove that's farther down. Set up right in this area and it'll be fish on. Do not be tricked by the numerous rising trout in the cove. Lots of snags in there and they don't bite as well on bait as the area I mentioned. Last note, keep an eye on the little one. There are small rattlers up there. Not many, but I have seen them from time to time. Not really enough to stress over, but better to know then be surprised. Have fun and get 'em hooked!