PDA

View Full Version : where to BBQ and fish in stevens creek reservoir?

Dimsumboy
06-08-2009, 11:59 PM
hey guys, bunch of my friends decided to go stevens creek reservoir this sat to BBQ and hand out and being a fisherman I am I always wanna look for opportunities to fish! ;D but since I've never been there and so are my friends, I would like to ask any fellow sniffers who had been to the spot and share with me. Prefer somewhere that's like right next to water with a grill. I'm guessing if no such spot, then we can bring our own grill and a canopy to chill next to the water but it has to be flat enough to set everything up. Any info will be appreciated, Thanks!

tejedarichard
06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
I believe the pits are before you reach the dam if your coming from the dam side its a left turn. I've always fished here for trout when they stocked it I would fish off the dam with a 6 foot leader and a marshmellow and worm dipped in berkely corn dip. Every time we would be reeling in a trout about 3 monster largemouth bass up to 10 lbs would be hitting our trout and even peeling it right off. Goodluck that's all I have. Try trout imitations if going for bass.

Dimsumboy
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
that sounds like a great place! I just have to find out if there's a spot we can setup the BBQ near the lake and then we're set. Thanks for the info friend!

CJC
06-09-2009, 09:33 AM
There is a picnic area 1/4 mile past the boat ramp. It's a nice shaded area and you do have to pay for parking unless you park on the road side. The self serve machine is a little down the hill before the dam.

I think DFG stopped planting trout in there this year because of that law suit going on. There might be a hold over or two but I'd doubt that there are many left since the water levels go down a lot and the water gets too warm. Stevens Creek is now a self sustained fishery. There are bass and pan fish. Also it is listed on the mercury warning list in the DFG regulations booklet.

Dimsumboy
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I see, I just wanted to have some fun fishing and for sure I won't take any home ("IF" I catch any heh... ). It's great info here, I think I'll mainly target the bass for the lure action, and maybe some pan fish action for my friend's kid. last time I fished with that kid, he talked about it for months about the 3 lbs trout he caught and been asking me to take him fishing soon, hopefully he get some bass this time and it'll be his first.

Also do you recall if it is possible or allowed to setup BBQ grill and canopy near water?

CJC
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
("IF" I catch any heh... ).
Also do you recall if it is possible or allowed to setup BBQ grill and canopy near water?
Stevens Creek is a tough fishery and skunks are more the rule for the newbees. But you may be lucky and land a big fish, who knows. I have only landed a limit there once although I have only fished it a dozen times.
I should say this is for bass.

The BBQ areas have tables set up and are right next to the water. You don't need a canopy since the area is shaded. Just get there early enough to grab a spot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cupertino,+ca &sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=25.981365,45.263672&ie=UTF8&ll=37.2 94647,-122.081028&spn=0.000794,0.001381&t=h&z=19

PapaGreg
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
:)Haven't been there in years, but it used to be our hot spot.

Just past the quarry you'll see the picnic area to your left, we used to fish there a lot and caught a lot of crappie.

I believe DFG is planting trout there this year, they have been listed on the weekly plant schedules.

Good luck and kudos for taking the younster.

cattfish
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
hi where is stevens creek reservor thanks

PapaGreg
06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
:)Cupertino.

skunky
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Foothill Blvd off 280 up the hill, lake is on the left across the gun range. Happy fishing and catch the big one.

Texan211
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Really watch out for that Mercury warning at Stevens Creek I hear that it is one of the highest in the bay area! :o

CJC
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
:)

I believe DFG is planting trout there this year, they have been listed on the weekly plant schedules.
According to this they are not:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/

Dimsumboy
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
here's the link for Stevens creek reservoir on Google map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Stevens+Creek+Reservoi r,+Santa+Clara,+California+95014&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=44.971398,79.101563&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ge ocode=FVoYOQIdyzm5-A&split=0&z=15

And here's *link for the PDF map

http://www.sccgov.org/SCC/docs%2FParks%20and%20Recreation%2C%20Department%20 of%20(DEP)%2Fattachments%2FStevensCreekGuideFinal. pdf

PapaGreg
06-09-2009, 06:40 PM
:)My bad, just going by the newspaper, obviously not accurate!

JefffromLivermore
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
If you want to taste great wine, take a right and head up Monte Rosso Road to Ridge Vineyards at the top of the hill.

raider_naytion
06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
aaaahhhhh....stevens creek, brings back memories of many many limits of trout and my PB of largemouth bass (11 pounds )....there are also very big carp there. try a spinner bait or inflated night crawlers at the far side of the dam ( i.e. across the parking lot where the black float tube is, hopefully that out-house is still there. ) and good luck!

S_L
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Really watch out for that Mercury warning at Stevens Creek I hear that it is one of the highest in the bay area! :o
No fish - no mercury!
(I'm from Cupertino)
They did NOT stock any trout there this year.
It only makes sense to terget panfish and bass out there.

Dimsumboy
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
just an update for last saturday at stecens creek reservoir, not even a bite on powerbait, eggs, nightcrawlers or kastmastmasters, spinners, and water was warm and there's a sign saids you "CAN NOT" eat the fish from this lake, just letting you guys know. I'm sure many knew about it already ;D

raider_naytion
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
thanks for update, was the water high or low?