PDA

View Full Version : McCloud road through hell to Fort Brag

John_Rodgers
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Fished McClud Mon and Tue last weeek. Very slow-all less than 12". Headed for Fort Brag about 4 Tue. Badddddd travel plans. I 5 south to Red Bluff and headed across-ended up almost to Fortuna and then south to Fort Brag. The DRIVE was my all time worst. Most of the time curves 15 to 25 Miles per hour. Over 6 hours.
Bottom fishing was slow-abb diving was great-vis. 20'. Every day,ocean was like a lake-we could have water skied. Sat and Sun, busted the tuna. Fish were around 25 miles out. Great Trip, except for the drive. johnny boy

Prowler
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
It sounds like the fishing was good anyway. Great job!

I live in Red Bluff and the only time I take 36 to the coast is when I'm in a sports car. I once made it to 101 in 2 1/2 hours ::) The better way is to take I-5 to Williams and go over on 20.

PapaGreg
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
:)Would 299 be better?

I haven't been over 299 in years, but I understand a lot of work has been done on that road.

Prowler
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
:)Would 299 be better?

I haven't been over 299 in years, but I understand a lot of work has been done on that road.
299 is the road I use to go to Arcata and Eureka. Very nice road that follows the Trinity for quite a ways. For Fort Bragg, however, HWY 20 is about 1 1/2 hours faster.

GW208
06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh man, does this bring back memories. My wife and I took that road from the coast to Red Bluff about 20 years ago. We didn't think it was ever going to end. Is the little town of Dinsmore still there? We stopped there for ice or something and boy did I get a bad feeling about the place. I swear I heard banjo's playing somewhere back in the woods. *:)

John_Rodgers
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
It was Redding where I started west, not Red Bluff ( I was confused). 299 and then the baddd. 3 south and on to 36 west. 101 south-(bad stretches of road) and highway 1 into Fort Brag. Don't remember going through Dinsmore-did not look to stop anywhere

Prowler
06-15-2009, 09:19 PM
So you went through Hayfork? :-?

John_Rodgers
06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, halfway down highway 3 passed through the booming city life.

fish04
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes I remember that road well. We left Reno then went to Redding then to the coast to Fort Bragg. That road is where the rubber meets the road 100 miles 6 hrs. I was never so glad to get to the coast after being on that road from He$$. It was done on my Honey Moon What a miserable day!
Fish04
Don

BigB
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you made a wrong left hand turn onto Highway 3. You should have stayed on 299 all the way to Eureka.

Unlike Prowler, I moved out of Red Bluff when I had the chance. :) I took Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna back in '75, but I was on my motorcycle. We left on a Sunday to avoid the logging trucks. there was even a section of the road that was gravel and included some large rocks.

Brian

Prowler
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Unlike Prowler, I moved out of Red Bluff when I had the chance. *
Heyyyy :( You get used to it here after 30 or so years ;D

HWY 36 has also had problems with landslides in the past. And don't try it in the Winter because it doesn't get plowed regularly like 299 does.

BigB
06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah, I was headed to Red Bluff on Friday, but when I got to Qunicy I turned around and went home. It had nothing to do with Chico telling me the Sac River was too dirty to be catching Shad.

Brian

kstone44
06-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Its funny seeing this post I spent 4 days at Ruth lake fishing about 10 days ago, it took me almost 3 hrs to go 97 miles from Redbluff on highway 36. I was towing the boat and a couple of car sick kids made for a grueling ride.Great place to go ,excellent fishing,great campsites right on the lake . But I understand why its so empty ,one heck of a ride

GeneO
06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I live off of 36 about 4 miles before 101 and time wise it is a toss up taking 299 or 36 to 3 to 299. I can make it to Whiskeytown in 3 hrs but that is when I leave at 3 in the morning. The compass on my rear view mirror hits every point on the compass when I take that route. The Dinsmore store is still there but I think most of their income is from the growers. First time across my wife puked twice and my daughter once. 299 is easier on their stomachs. Plan on fishing Ruth Lake next week, how was the fishing and what worked Kevin? Thanks for some info. GeneO

kstone44
06-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Started out trolling dodger or flashers and a 1/2 night crawler, it never took more than about 5 minutes before we hooked up, numerous doubles. Did not use the down riggers, got tired of using a worm, put on a small crappie jig a glitter silver and white still hooked up. I tried 6-7 other lure combinations and same results,we only fished one day as the kids got bored catching fish. I heard that Ruth go alot of the unstocked fish that were slated for other ares. Nothing big all 12-14" but the kids had fun.We caught them from the boat launch area up to the dam, at the dam I tried the D/R but only caught the same size fish so retired them .Crappie fishing was great as well right in front of the campsite during the middle of the day , I took the wife Bass fishing for a couple hours and she caught 5, I was guiding ;D, what ever it takes ;)to make em happy right!