PDA

View Full Version : Pinecrest 6/3 - 6/6

Matt_G
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Headed up Wednesday afternoon and staying through Saturday. I normally fish the river below, as well as the inlet. Considering renting a boat, is the trolling that much better? Any other recommendations for this time of the year. I limited out last year(from the shore), would like to keep the streak alive.

Cheers,

Matt

GutHookd
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey!! Pinecrest is a great place to be!!

I was there last year and I did pretty well in the Stani, but I had very limited results in the Lake trolling with a rental boat. Hopefully they stock it right before you go there.

Good luck and bring your needlefish in rainbow to troll around.

Athlete24
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
We were there memorial day weekend and didn't do very good trolling. The stanislaus isn't stocked anymore but I heard that there should be plenty of fish because the reservoir is spilling. One word that describes pinecrest fishing. Inlet ;)

Matt_G
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
We were there memorial day weekend and didn't do very good trolling. *The stanislaus isn't stocked anymore but I heard that there should be plenty of fish because the reservoir is spilling. *One word that describes pinecrest fishing. *Inlet *;)

We found that inlet, I even did well in the pools above it too. Trying to get some trout on the end of a 5 year old pole this year.

Thanks for the Info!

STRIPER_STEVE
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
OK can someone please clear things up for me!!! I have seen that the stani is on the no plant list yet I was told it is still being planted???? Please someione send me a PM to clarify if you have any info. --Steve

Athlete24
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I think that the only way it could still be legally planted is if it was done by private sources. *The DFG plants tons of fish in pinecrest, and like i said if the spillway is open there probably are a lot of fish that are going over into the river. If anyone goes be sure to post a report, I might head up that way sometime soon and I'll be sure to post about it.

Matt_G
06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I'll be there tomorrow, I will attempt to post via Phone.

dilbeck
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Go figure, Pinecrest WILL be stocked but the S. fork of the Stanislaus will NOT be stocked. *How is that for an oxymoron.

Here is the link. (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/) *On the left is what will be stocked and on the right is what is no longer being stocked. *Scroll about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the page. *Look under Central Region, Tuolumne County.

Michael

Matt_G
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Go figure, Pinecrest WILL be stocked but the S. fork of the Stanislaus will NOT be stocked. *How is that for an oxymoron.

Here is the link. (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/) *On the left is what will be stocked and on the right is what is no longer being stocked. *Scroll about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the page. *Look under Central Region, Tuolumne County.

Michael

Looks like its getting stocked this week ;) They plant keepers or little guys up there?

hunkfisher
06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Matt you will catch some dinks as per usual with DFG fish but there are plenty of eating size fish caught them as big as 18" three weeks ago, use green Gulp for bait fishing, Woolly Buggers on top, and a single Red Label Pautzkies Salmon egg at the Inlet should have that 5 year old rod screaming by the end of the trip. ;)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

GutHookd
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, you should be there by now Matt. I hope you guys are slamin' those bad boys. :o

BenLo
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
While your'e on the subject of Pinecrest, is anyone else upset about the fact that there are now Smallmouths in the lake? I have softened up some, however, I'm still not thrilled.

Salvage
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

Fished the lake couple of times this season from a kayak and was amazed that DFG stocked it so heavily so early in the season. Brad H's recommendations are right on. Trolling did not seen to do better as stationary fishers. The stocking level is high enough that even the bankers should be able to do well now.

Cheers,
Salvage

Matt_G
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Well we braved the rain and snow for some excellent fishing. *Wasted a few hours trolling with no fish. *The bite was on at the inlet. *Caught 15 or so in the 13-15" Range. *Had an absolute blast trying to keep the salmon eggs on. *The hits are extremely light, bring a very sensitive rod. *Fished under the bridge at Strawberry with no results.

The water is still going over the spillway extremely fast. *The lake is very full. *I plan on heading back in the next few weeks.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=447218&stc=1&d=1244430 324

Jfitalia
06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
I dont really have any issue with smallmouths in there. What is the major complaint about them? Its not like they are eating the trout...

Bass_Fisherman
06-12-2009, 04:22 PM
HA...thats what fish do...eat other fish ::)
But a no big deal...caught one last year...good little fighter.
Maybe some day they will get some size on them.
Now we have two species to fish for up their *:P

JimBow
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Stampede has smallmouths, and it doesn't seem to hurt trout or kokanee based on my fishing. Pinecrehest and the drive up there is very beautiful....

STRIPER_STEVE
06-14-2009, 08:41 AM
So when did they stock Smallies in there? How Much? I would love to be able to target more than one species. what more could you ask for as the catch and release of smallies is much better than catch and release trout that may or may not make it. Also the fight would be much better with smallies. ;D

Slim
06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
So when did they stock Smallies in there? How Much? *I would love to be able to target more than one species. what more could you ask for as the catch and release of smallies is much better than catch and release trout that may or may not make it. Also the fight would be much better with smallies. ;D

I believe they were stocked illegally by one of the guys that has a cabin on the water (?) not sure by whom?

I first caught them about 7-8+ years ago. Caught 9 @ 9inches first, then I caught an 18 incher... It was a total surprise.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Pinecrest/fbee5619.jpg
I then looped around the back of the lake in the float tube and caught my first catfish on a fly rod. I finished off the day catching 20+ trout at the inlet.

Slim

Bass_Fisherman
06-15-2009, 09:27 AM
LOL yes Slim...I didnt believe you last year...then I caught one myself :o
From what the sport shop says. It was someone that worked for the marina that was mad at them or just wanted more species to fish for??

Who Knows..they are their now! Have fun fishing for them. Fly rod is probably the best choice ....but i did catch mine on a castmaster 8-)

biggvic
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Is there a strong enough population of smallies to target them or are they just caught occasionally by trout fisherman? It might be a good idea to troll #5 Rapala's in the morning for trout and smallmouths. I use to catch a lot of bass and trout at McSwain doing that.