PDA

View Full Version : LAKE DAVIS.....BEWARE!

dHb
06-11-2009, 10:49 PM
if anyone is planning on taking a trip up to davis anytime soon, beware! apparently, for the past few weeks now, some rat *******s have been burglarizing campers. they have been targeting fly rods and generators. we went earlier this week and the guys next to us got hit in the middle of the night, losing 10 fly rods. the thieves know what they are doing and doing so in the middle of the night. if you go, be careful and store everything of value in your locked vehicle or inside if you can. rumor has it, gold truck silver rims.

on a better note....there are tons of fish in the lake. trolling night crawlers behind flashers at about 5+ feet worked best for us. we caught alot of fish but only a few quality(16in).

dboucree
06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Thank you sir for the info. load up the rounds when out there eh? on my scale, a thief is lower then a carp. throw it away. again, thanks, and good looking out for fellow sniffers!

dHb
06-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Posting suggestions of other illegal acts to deter the original illegal act is not allowed on these boards. ;)

MM

dboucree
06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Amen!!!

rpwlaw11
06-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up dhb. I fish that lake often. Would hate for my stuff to be stolen. If it's really a yellow old truck instead of gold. The CHP guy that patrols up there should have it solved in no time. The vehicle that comes to my mind is right down there on Grizzily Road.

Bummer deal on the small guys still. Thought the big boys would be cruising the shallows by now. Is the damsel hatch going on?

auburnfisher
06-12-2009, 06:40 AM
DHB- can you help me out?? how do you troll crawler behind flashers at 5' down? mine seem to snag the bottom when I troll in depths shallower than, say, 18' (I top line very slowly w/ no weight and maybe 100' set back). I had similar success at Davis a few weeks back doing the same thing as you between the launch and island and between the dam and small island. thanks!

dHb
06-12-2009, 08:23 AM
rpwlaw, it seems as though some kind of hatch is going on. not sure if they're damsels. the shallows at the north end of the lake looked to be producing some quality fish for those tossing flys.

auburn, we let out 1-2 colors of leadcore. for the lighter tackle, set the downriggers to 5' or we toplined. we were near the launch and island as well.

Jetspray
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
That's too bad, theives always put a damper on things. I will probably not go that way if it is not handled in a timely fashion. Do not want to loose anything money is too tight......Jetspray

billfisher
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
DHB- can you help me out?? how do you troll crawler behind flashers at 5' down? mine seem to snag the bottom when I troll in depths shallower than, say, 18' (I top line very slowly w/ no weight and maybe 100' set back). I had similar success at Davis a few weeks back doing the same thing as you between the launch and island and between the dam and small island. thanks!

af - If you are hanging up on the bottom in 18 feet of water with flashers but no weights then you must either be using a heavy flasher system or going too slow. Try a small bladed, light weight flasher system, go fast enough to get a good spin action going on the blades, and if you are still hanging up then try a little shorter set back. You don't need big, heavy flashers for Davis trout. Heck, a Wedding Ring with a worm or crawler usually works good there.

auburnfisher
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks billfisher! good advice. i do troll very slowly, but that works for me. probably don't need such a long set back. i'll shorten it up. i've avoided a couple of skunkings with a wedding ring tipped with a peice of a crawler with no flashers/dodgers. minimally i use s 1/16 oz keel weight to keep the line from twisting. cheers!

billfisher
06-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks billfisher! good advice. i do troll very slowly, but that works for me. probably don't need such a long set back. i'll shorten it up. i've avoided a couple of skunkings with a wedding ring tipped with a peice of a crawler with no flashers/dodgers. minimally i use s 1/16 oz keel weight to keep the line from twisting. cheers!

af - Many of the commercial flasher rigs have a keel built right into them and you can separately buy plastic keels that will keep your line from twisting. They weigh next to nothing. Are you adding weight to your keels or are you using the weight as a keel?

auburnfisher
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I use the keel weight pretty much to keep the line from spinning only. at 1/16 oz, i really don't think it takes the bait down much at all. and it's smaller than plastic keels. (i apologize for hijacking thread)

Jetspray
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Auburnfisher there is no Hyjack involved when you post fishing information on how to do what we do.......Thanks.....Jetspray