PDA

View Full Version : First trip up 88 this week????

marko44
06-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Hello:

This is my first post on the message boards. *I've been reading for quite some time and I want to thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge that I have gained from this site.

I haven't fished since I was a teen until last year when my 7 year old fell in love with fishing. *We have a neighbor who is retired that loves to fish although he doesn't get out very often any more. *He has spent a lot of time with my son showing him the ropes. *Last year, I took my son to the Carson River (under the bridge at the 88/89 junction) where he caught his first fish. *He had a smile that went from ear to ear. *He was so excited and now all he wants to do is fish. *

I would like to take him up 88 this week but I have some questions. *My neighbor will let me use his 12" aluminum boat if I wanted. *He has a small gas engine as well as an electric motor for it. *Would you recommend borrowing the boat or fishing from the shore? *It appears from a majority of the pics I'm seeing here, most of you are shore fishing and having great success doing so. *I see on the Caples map on FishSniffer that no motors are allowed . . . .does this apply to electric as well? * *Does Silver, Caples, and Red all have boat launches? *Since I would be there with my son, I would be on my own to launch and trailer the boat.

I also have another son who is 11 that has special needs. *He can only walk with the assistance of a walker. *I met some really friendly folks at Saw Mill pond last year who had recommended Woods Lake for its beauty and handicap access. *From what I understand, the road doesn't open until later in the summer so I'm hoping to take the entire family up there this summer and hopefully the fishing will be good for both kids.

Thanks

Mark

ajaxfishing
06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Marko, I'm sure there are more qualified sniffers who can give you a better answer, and even though I fish Silver from a boat, under your circumstances I'd pick bank fishing. Here's why: 1) the boredom factor; if you are not having a lot of action in a boat, a seven-year old can get really restless. On shore he can move around without rocking the boat, so to say. 2) Movability; if things aren't happening at one spot or one lake, you can always move on to another. 3) Simplicity; if you are trying to troll or even still fish, it can be a little more complex in a boat. But from shore, you can cast out a couple of outfits with assorted baits, and even be there to help your son cast or rig-up. My motto; keep it simple! Hope this helps, Brojo. By the way, welcome to the boards.

pizzaman_288
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
As far as I know they all have boat ramps and if you read the map of caples closely you will see thit says no motors on kirkwood lake other than row boats and canoes good luck up there hope your son has fun and catches a big one.

PaulN
06-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Another suggestion for small aluminums...Morningstar Lake. Its right next to sugarpine res near foresthill. great place to catch fish with kids from either shore or boat. you can only use electric motors so no worries about crazy drivers out there. nothing fancy is needed but a splitshot and worms. just an idea... some good fish in there too.

marko44
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you brojo and pizzaman *. . .. I think I will keep it simple this time and fish from the shore. *The 7 year old does get pretty restless when the fish aren't biting. *I will be coming from Woodland so that would be quite the haul towing a small boat. * I'll have my hands full just getting him out of bed early in the morning. * ;)

Hopefully we will be up there Wednesday or Thursday.

marko44
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks PaulN . . . as I said in my last post, we live in Woodland so having a good place to go a little closer to home would be helpful. *I will put that on the list of places to go.

In looking at some maps, is Morningstar the same as Big Reservoir?

hunkfisher
06-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I would say based off what I can asses of your kids and thier needs ( access and CATCHING!!!) I would recommend Silver right off the bat, its getting planted this week as well as easy place to set up your fishing sight at the boat ramp and the dam (the fish usually hangout around there), Caples is another good choice right now due to the numbers of fish being put in from DFG and EID Private Stocks. I think that Caples allows gas powered motors, Red is electric. Red doesn't really have a "good" launch, dirt road rough drive in. Caples and Silver both have good launches, however Caples launch doesnt open till about 730 or 8. *
* So if going in a boat I would give Caples the nod, bank fishing Caples (corner of the dam and the spillway) and Silver (boat ramp and dam) would be good choices Red a close second. I would go on Thursday DFG should have the area planted by then hope this helps. Send a message to Captian Compassion he fishes the area regularly with us he could meet you up there give you a few pointers. Pick up some 1/4 oz gold and blue/silver Kastmasters, Green Gulp and can of worms and bobbers.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

marko44
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all of the info Brad. . . . Bryce will be so happy to read all of the reponses I have gotten so far. *I will take him out tonight to pickup some of the tackle recommendations you have made. *I went to the Berkley website to see what Green Gulp is . . . is it trout dough?

I will also take a look at the boat launch area at Silver to see if I would be able to take my other son up there in the future. *He loves going with us and I want to be able to take him as long as I know it will be safe for him.

Captain Compassion
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the Sniffer MarkO. You have gotten good advise here. Later this week all the 88 Lakes should be full of fish. Use Gulp or Powerbait or works for good results. Hunk told you the spots. I'll be at Silver tomorrow and the other lakes and perhaps the Carson River later in the week. Look for the old(er) guy in the ratty Dodger hat. 8-)

CC

marko44
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Thank you CC . . .when you run Gulp or PowerBait. . . .do you use a treble and a bobber? If so . . what's the distance between the two?

I will keep and eye out for you on Thursday.

hunkfisher
06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Mark
The Gulp is trout dough, much like its Powerbait cousin. Usually when fishing the Gulp, I fish it off the bottom with a regular slip sinker set up or a larger Split shot, I don't use trebles (unless they want to join me for dinner ;D) but when I do size 12 or 14, I use a size 14 bait holder or egg hook, same results just easier to get the hook out. Make sure when you use the Gulp that its enough to cover the hook BUT be sure to put on a small ball of Powerbait on the hook then cover it with the Gulp. Myself, CC and Cgagex have had issues with the Gulp, tends to be softer than Powerbait and the fish have this uncanny ability to steal it off the hook.
Using bobbers and worms I usually run the worm max about 20 inches under the bobber on average I run the hook about 14 inches under the boober (length of your forearm is a good start), the fish at both Silver and Caples after being stocked that week like the worm and bobber combo I've had a lot of success with them (I was at Silver 2 weeks ago about two days after the plant and the worm was in the water for about 30 seconds before my bobber started dancing).
Those are my suggestions good luck to you and your kids. Go get em'!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

marko44
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Brad: thanks for the the gulp/PB and worm/bobber setup tips. *I will add some of those bait holder hook to my shopping list for this evening.

Thanks again!

Klamdog
06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
MarkO,
I"m planning my first trip up to Caples/Silver later this month, I never thought twice about either lake not allowing outboards, I just assumed you could! *I did find this site, and it shows Caples with boat rentals with outboards, if they're renting them, I don't know why you couldn't use your own? *Hopefully someone has the answers! http://www.capleslakeresort.com/store_marina.htm

Captain Compassion
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Both Caples and Silver allow the use of outboard motors. They are restricted on Red Lake.

CC

Salvage
06-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi,

Not to talk you out of 1) fishing the 88 region or 2) fishing from a boat but I would consider fishing Pinecrust Lake on 108. Read some of the posting on this location for more information; it is a relatively small lake and DFG stocked it heavily. The inlet and near the dam have always been the hot spots and it is accessable on foot or by boat. The boat launch is free and it has very nice shoreline facilities. I would not troll since anchored boat seem to do better than the trollers.

Best of luck were whereever you go.

Cheers,
Salvage

TJ_Perkins
06-08-2009, 05:39 PM
For whats its worth I've fished 88 the last 2 thursdays from the shore with good success (thank you CC and Jetspray) I highly recommend this area because of all the options close together. Between Silver Caples and Red you should be able to keep the little guys attention. just my 2 cents

Float_N_Fish
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Welcome aboard MarkO! *If you go to Woods no motors are allowed, even electric. *I take my canoe for better access, just make sure you take insect repellent.

You can fish off the dam at Silver for easy access with a walker. *Up H/W 4 past Bear Valley you'll have Lake Alpine, Mosquito Lakes and Kinney Res. that all provide easy shoreline fishing access as well.

Have fun Marko & Boys *[smiley=angling.gif]

CC, If you need a new fishn' hat I've got a nice SF Giants one for you! *;)

Captain Compassion
06-08-2009, 05:50 PM
CC, If you need a new fishn' hat I've got a nice SF Giants one for you! *;)

You will have to pry my Dodger hat from my cold gray head. :D

CC

cgagex3
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM

CC

I guess I will have to wait until the ice-in next November to get that thing off that old gray head.. *;D ;D ;D
A nice new shiny Giants cap would look so good on that dome..

CG

atavuss
06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
MarkO, welcome to the sniffer hood, you will find lots of friendly people and advice here!
Woods lake does have good access for your son, but parking can be a problem during the summer, mosquitos will start to get bad if not already bad so make sure you have plenty of repellant. also, if you use trebles for the PB and Gulp make sure you have long forceps to remove the hook. I only use trebles when I am keeping the fish for dinner as the trout usually swallow the hook too deeply to release. it can get chilly and the weather can change very quickly so bring warm clothes even if it is 100 degrees in the valley. Kirkwood lake also has good access right at the front of the lake by the parking areas but again parking can be a challenge during the summer months.
gas motors are allowed on Caples and Silver Lake, both have good launch areas. Caples lake is 20.00 to launch and park, Silver is 10.00.
I don't know if you and your boys like to camp but there are many beautiful spots to camp and fish in the highway 88 area.
also, Upper and Lower Blue lakes have easy access for your son, a little more of a drive though.

hunkfisher
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM

CC

I guess I will have to wait until the ice-in next November to get that thing off that old gray head.. *;D ;D ;D

CG

Well CC I know a way we could warm that head of yours.....Corey ill hold him down you get a at home tattoo kit we'll make his head all black with a nice bright SF on the forehead. CC the black will attract all light from the sun therefore reliving you of this cold dome syndrome. ;D ;D ;D :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fat_fish
06-08-2009, 10:26 PM

CC

CG

Well CC I know a way we could warm that head of yours.....Corey ill hold him down you get a at home tattoo kit we'll make his head all black with a nice bright SF on the forehead. CC the black will attract all light from the sun therefore reliving you of this cold dome syndrome. *;D ;D ;D :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hypnosis works wonders i hear. that seems a lil cruel brad.

ff

hunkfisher
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Jeff- Payment for the years of following the god foresaken Deegers, I wish the was another way.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Jetspray
06-09-2009, 03:57 AM
My My My so violent over a silly cap....No boat motors on Silver, man will I be in trouble today. Hope to see you fellas up there again and hope the weather will suit......Jetspray

catcher_on_the_fly
06-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Bring warm clothes [smiley=cold.gif],find a spot protected from the wind,sometimes I bring a little tent and keep it open for a little windproof shelter. I love the Giants,but how many world series have they won in S.F.? I beleive were second in the futility list behind the cubbies!!! [smiley=cry.gif]

marko44
06-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Klamdog, Salvage, NTBD & COTF . . . thanks for the input . .. . I was able to take Thursday off from work so we are all set. *We went to WalMart and Big 5 last night in search of the tackle recommendations we have received. *I was amazed to see that WalMart has greatly reduced their fishing tackle inventory. *I couldn't find a size 14 baitholder hook at either place for the PB/Gulp setup as HunkFisher suggested.

WalMart had lots of PB but no Gulp and Big 5 had 2 different colors of Gulp including green but I think it's an older color green in a fairly dated container. *I will try Long's tonight and see what they carry.

atavuss
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM

CC

CG

Well CC I know a way we could warm that head of yours.....Corey ill hold him down you get a at home tattoo kit we'll make his head all black with a nice bright SF on the forehead. CC the black will attract all light from the sun therefore reliving you of this cold dome syndrome. *;D ;D ;D :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Hey, you can't do that to the Captain! do you want to go to jail for elder abuse? :D

Captain Compassion
06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey, you can't do that to the Captain! *do you want to go to jail for elder abuse? * :D

Thanks Ed..... I think. :-/

CC

Jetspray
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Catcher on the fly I am very sorry to report to you that my boat has an onboard heater. I can also erect a full cabin for the winter time stuff. I would only get Richard another Dodger hat if he lost his while on the boat anyway.......Jetspray

troutfan
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
CC, If you need a new fishn' hat I've got a nice SF Giants one for you!
Hold your ground Captain. Don't ever give in to wearing that ugly black and orange monstrosity! ;) :D ;D ;D

MattMan
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
CC, If you need a new fishn' hat I've got a nice SF Giants one for you!
Hold your ground Captain. *Don't ever give in to wearing that ugly black and orange monstrosity! ;) :D ;D ;D
Never! Never, I say! ;D ;D ;D