PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake 6-5-09

Phishinfool2
06-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Cut work early Thurs pm to head to Silver for a nice day of fishing on Friday.On the water at dark. Slight breeze, clouds and plenty of fog coming off the water. Heading out of the marina in appx 18-21' of water with line feeding out "Bang" fish on, brought it to the boat small size , released of course.

Set sail for one of my favorite spots and hit several more small fishies.
Trolled for several hours the wind started to kick up the hail came in and all of the sudden the Ugly stick bent almost in half, Ooohh boy we got Moby Dick on the other end, just as I was pulling the rod out of the holder "SNAP" goes the line , Moby is gone along with one of my favorite flasher setups.

The hail got worse(and I do mean worse) and a little rain mixed in, then all of a sudden it started to SNOW, to heck with this I am outta here.I was shaking so bad once I got in the truck from the cold, as I was tying the boat down several people drove up wondering how it was, my shaking was enough to scare one group back to Sly Park.

Oohh well, maybe next weekend. I did bring half a dozen or so to boatside for a release. Water level is quite high, from the old kays parking lot the water is only 6-8' away.

Jimbo

Trout Tracker
06-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Jimbo.
Glad to hear that your day started off with a few fish.And i know you wanted to see the one that snapped your line.
I know what you mean my shaking freezing cold,your hands hurt,can't wait to get the boat on the trailor and just in general hatein the day.Braved a day like you are talking about at Ice House a few years back....Never again.
TT

hammerdog
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Nice to hear you made it out there......I have been waiting for the weather to settle down....gonna try and make it Wed or Thursday....I hate losing flashers like that, especially my favorite ones with a big fish dragging them away....

atavuss
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Jimbo,
I would recommend some insulated coveralls. I fished Silver Lake last Memorial day in the snow all day long with a wool cap, insulated boots, and insulated coveralls and never got cold.

Jetspray
06-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Too bad the weather made the day miserable. Catching fish made it better. Hope to give the lake a whirl on tues. Good times a comin.......Jetspray

HBFishin
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I never have fished silver, but thinking about heading there this weekend.

My concern is that I have a canoe that I will be paddling around fishing from. Is this reasonable for this lake?

Is the wind and waves from other boats going to make things too challenging?

Thanks!!

Phishinfool2
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I never have fished silver, but thinking about heading there this weekend.

My concern is that I have a canoe that I will be paddling around fishing from. Is this reasonable for this lake?

Is the wind and waves from other boats going to make things too challenging?

Thanks!!

Hb it really depends on the weather (of course) I have seen many kayaks and canoes on the water. You should be able to navigate the waters with no problems.

Jimbo

HBFishin
06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks Jimbo!

Yeah, weather is the big variable with any mountain lake. Just wanted to get a sense of how the boat traffic is. Was at UVR a week ago and almost got swamped by another boat that had no manners.

Thanks again.

Treebeard
06-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Just wanted to get a sense of how the boat traffic is. Was at UVR a week ago and almost got swamped by another boat that had no manners.
HB, Silver is very different from UVR, at least in my experience (I keep my roots on shore)... it's a smaller lake, boats seem smaller and fewer too. At Silver I've never had anyone come roaring up with music blasting, then land and jump out not 50 yards away and start target practice *>:(

Silver seems to have less roaring and more rowing... more like a peaceful mountain lake than a lowland recreation center!
ymmv...
;)
TB