PDA

View Full Version : June Lake Loop Help?

budnad
06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
HELP! My 3 sons will be here to take me on a fishing trip to the June Lake Loop area on the 18th of June for 3 days. It will be the first time in over 40 years that we will be fishing together. It may never happen again. Where to fish? What to use? How to fish? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. We will have a boat and all types of gear. Hope this helps.

PS All are from out of town, Phoenix AZ, Raleigh NC, Jacksonville, FL

notenufffishn
06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Well you picked a great area, I can hear the excitement in your message. June lake itself is great fishery. I would say rent a boat if you are not bringing one. Troll a night crawler and seps flasher. Kastmaster, panther martin and of course power bait should work well.... also don't forget the woolie buggers. I have found the bronze flahers/lures works better up there than the silvers for some reason.
go another exit up into the town of Mammoth and there will some tackle shops that will also point you into the right direction. I will be camped at Lake mary that week with a toyhauler fifth wheel. Mary is a great fishery also and there is also Mamie and George right there. Cherck out the previous posts on Mammoth.
Do you know the route you are taking to get there? If you have not thought about it the ME trail to 88 to 395 is real nice route.

budnad
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
NEF, Thanks for the info. I will be trailering a boat and have googled a route. I have never gone over 88 but I am game to give it a try. The directions look easy enough, but you do have to make several climbs to over 7000 ft. Wish us luck and I will report on the trip to the sniffer.

notenufffishn
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I like the ME trail because it is a mainly a stright shot to the summit instead of alot of switchbacks like on highway 50. From there it is all downhill to Carson city and 395. i have not looked into going into Reno then out from there but I think it will be longer.

budnad
06-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Do you tow your 5th wheeler over that route? It looks like it has a lot of switch backs.

Jetspray
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
You can pull a 5th wheel rig over 88 (Carson Pass), after you pass Caples lake you have a steep drop to Red lake on 88 that is where you will use the brakes the most. Use lower gears in that steep area and there is a pullout to let other traffic pass in that area - use it. If you go through the downtown areas of Minden/Gardnerville make sure you follow the traffic speed signs and go slow or tickiepoo for you. Hope you have a plesant drive......Jetspray

notenufffishn
06-05-2009, 07:15 AM
I do pull a fifthwheel through there. The switchbacks are minimal compared to going over the 50 summit and I think I am a good 45 minutes quicker than going to Reno and doubling back around. Highway 88 is a very easy tow once you get up to Kirkwood through Minden. If you go that way get gas at Topaz lake. it usually cheaper ther and it holds me until I get back there on the way home.

budnad
06-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. I really appriciate it.

Bud

MattMan
06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the input. *I really appriciate it.

Bud
Bud, are you camping that week. If so, I can give you much info on camping sites, including pics. Let me know. ;)

budnad
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Not camping. We have a rental cabin in June Lake, but THANKS FOR THE OFFER.
Bud

Geckoman
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Not camping. *We have a rental cabin in June Lake, but THANKS FOR THE OFFER.
Bud

Hi Bud,

I was just up at June Lake May 14-17th. We just fished from the banks but did real well. They were hitting Yellow PB consistantly while ignoring most other colors for some reason. Have a great time and don't forget, you always have the tiger bar! :D

random hookups
06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
On June I prefer to topline wooley buggers, muddlers, hornbergs or bouyants.

I like Grant in the evenings from the shoreline. I will use the three above-mentioned flies on a 6 foot leader behind a half filled bubble. I cast out and slowly retrieve the fly and about every three turns I twitch it.

I have also had good luck in my float tube on Gull using bouyants. My biggest was 6.5lb.

And, if you have the time, check out Virginia or Little Virginia. I have had great luck on both lakes in my float tube with the same flies. Big fish come out of those lakes every year.

kgphotos@pacbell.n
06-07-2009, 12:45 PM
It is worth the trip over just for the fries at the Tiger Bar.

Geckoman
06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
The fries are good but the onion rings are way better! 8-)

budnad
06-08-2009, 07:56 AM
As my boys and myself are beer drinkers, I guess we will have to try them both, THANKS.

iggybob44
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
The tackle store next to the Tiger bar,Ernies is really good with a good selection of gear and knowledgeable staff.......Gull Lake has the most reasonably priced boat rentals on the loop......i was up there about 3 weeks ago,and i saw quite a few nice fish cruising Gull.

random hookups
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
+1, Ernie's is an excellent shop. Their staff should be able to tell you what the fish are hitting on, where at, and how to set up your rigs. Buy a hat while you're there.