PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish Tahoe from Shore

iSpy
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Heading to Tahoe this weekend. Leaving the boat at home :( Would like to fish from shore to catch some Rainbows or Browns. I fished Cave Rock before with some success. Would like to try a new spot with a little less traffic. Taking my son and nephew for some Tahoe action.
Thank you for your suggestions ;)

DWT
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Tahoe is tough whether from a boat or the bank. I know locals that swear that Sand Harbor to Kings Beach is all good for bankies.
Emerald Bay is the other choice.

Another good spot to fall back on is the stream that runs into Fallen Leaf Lake. Angora lakes above FL is another good one. They even rent row boats to troll with. It requires a 1/2 mile hike in but will reward you with homemade lemonaide & snacks to buy and a great setting.

iSpy
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I've been to Fallen Leaf before. Is the lake above the waterfall the one your talking about or is there another lake farther back on the hiking trail?

DWT
06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
They are not connected. Angora drains down the Hwy 50 side. It's on the map and it's not a secret. Lots of folks go there.
The solitude is renting one of the rowboats and pulling flashers & crawlers away from the crowd, which likes to just hang on the beach and enjoy the views.
They'll even cheer when you hookup.

The key to a sucessful trip is having several backup plans. This is a backup plan area for me but always enjoyable for the views alone.
Fish are a bonus.

Mackattack
06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Check the NDOW plant page for intel on plants as that will get you onto fish faster but if you can get or trap some live minnows and be patient you can catch some huge trout from shore at anytime just keep an eye on your rods cause you never know when a beast is swimming by and hungry,it will take your rod out to the depths of the big blue if your not carefull.

Mackattack

knot scot
06-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Being a resident of Kings Beach from 1968 off and on until 1988, I know the North Shore can be good.
As DWT mentioned, from Sand Harbor to Kings Beach has usually been productive. *
This time of year, in the late afternoon I'd get a minnow trap, some dry dog food, and a bobber, a short hike down to the huge boulders on/in the lake just before Sand Harbor. *You should have plenty of bait in no time. *Cast out, and like Mackattack said you never know what's gonna swim by.
In the winter, the Kings Beach Boat ramp. *Toss out some salmon eggs, and wait for the big one!
Good Luck!

iSpy
06-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a minnow trap so I will try by the bolders. Wish me luck :)

JimBow
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Good tips, and the nice thing about Tahoe, it should be easier to be patient and 'wait for big one' since many folks like to just sit near beach anyway. My family used to vacation once a year and picnic at Sand Harbor, I remember always thinking "gee, if I'm going to be here sitting, I'd rather have my pole here!".

A few years back we stayed near Tahoe city and a resident had caught some trout and advised somewhere near Dollar Pt, but can't recal specifics. I wish I had asked, but going back about 20 years ago, I worked with a guy that told me he ALWAYS caught big trout on inflated crawlers off a dock (home dock) on North Shore, including some big ones. I wished I had gotten more specifics but at time didn't fish as much

The_Big_Sinus
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I've hiked down the road to the point on the North side of the mouth of Emerald bay- maybe too much of a haul with a youngin'. On the lake side, you can cast spoons off the rocks on the lake side North of E Bay and hook up every so often. Wouldn't call it fast action, but you can usually see the fish come and take it. Works best when there is somewhere between a breeze and a gale blowing...

DWT
06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Being a resident of Kings Beach from 1968 off and on until 1988, I know the North Shore can be good.
As DWT mentioned, from Sand Harbor to Kings Beach has usually been productive. *
This time of year, in the late afternoon I'd get a minnow trap, some dry dog food, and a bobber, a short hike down to the huge boulders on/in the lake just before Sand Harbor. *You should have plenty of bait in no time. *Cast out, and like Mackattack said you never know what's gonna swim by.
In the winter, the Kings Beach Boat ramp. *Toss out some salmon eggs, and wait for the big one!
Good Luck!

Wow! I may have fished with you. Was there a small gas bbq & babyback ribs in that story somewhere?