PDA

View Full Version : Camanche 6/1 My B-Day w/son & Pics

iSpy
06-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Well my son who is 11 years old and never wants to go fishing because it boring asked me what I wanted for my Birthday. I told him I wanted him to go fishing with me on our boat for my birthday. After heavy thought he said OK. He hates to get up early and gets bored easy. If its not on his IPOD or XBOX then he wants nothing to do with it. Well today I wanted to show him how fun fishing can be.
We got to the lake at 8:00AM. Thats the earliest I could get him there by being he will not get up before 7:00AM. He's never been to Commanche before. He wanted to know if it was as big as Tahoe. When we drove by the pond I told him that's it. That's Commanche... He said WOW, was a boat really required to fish here. ;D
We started off by heading to HAT island. hooked up right away. He was stoked. Caught a couple more by the dam. Moved over to Hat again and thought we had a double hook up but it was the underwater island that caught my downrigger. That was fun trying to get it unstuck. Finally we got it loose. Headed back towards the dam when both rods started bouncing. I thought "Great, were stuck again" My son says that were in 75' of water. Well he got to see his first double hook up and we landed them both *;D Later we hook into a large fish. He says he can hardly hold the pole. We get the hog to the boat and once he sees the net he dives and catches the lure on the outside of the net. :-[ Fish is gone. We got to see the hog. My son says for me to leave the netting to him, I can just real in the big fish from now on.... I said OK *:)
We caught another to make 6 fish in the boat today and we lost 7.
We caught all but one on Firetiger with one on Hot Steel. OTW at 30'

I couldn't ask for a better Birthday present after seeing the joy in his face today.. :)
http://rqszxg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ppqJbXx-9FXo6yY9Tu-GvjEM1Fkp0WcD8t_qKqNY3KoOjJRGUOu4v5QeCtCcwblGg2Bju ObC4b02vod3Ziu4uPpUGhlVflntM/brettpic.JPG
How was that Double/Double?
http://rqszxg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP4yGW3usTTUSR2g4Zy5Z6WCPywSeFvkbe_pRa1Kx5-DxQNwB-slUcyV94sTTA2twyyLqJ0NCivxtRgt-Ua8Bc-XpADjnkKVh/brett2.JPG
Nice Day
http://rqszxg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pokGzq_d38U60aOXH3hxsVcTCSNsz87hjsEDXRJglUDv-9676sh2FbAk64prCVYkXzGQxBgsSSBYz-8weHzZkPngRn3vsjCsU/commanche.JPG
http://rqszxg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJ49RR2Xzy49uH_hUuCzpUV5Vmen3pMEX78bJYbTcfaFBO6L AldTPpYa-MuOGyNp7R_X_DdkktKdNj6T3RFqLARhFJ9vRJYZU/fish1.JPG

jsharman
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Happy B-day iSpy and congratulations on getting your son into fishing. *My 18 year old son feels the same way about fishing, too boring. *I plan to take him out this summer once I have some more experience with my boat. *Hopefully we will have a great trip like you and your son and he will be hooked for life. :)

iSpy
06-02-2009, 05:25 AM
The hardest part is getting him up early enough. He said he needs at least one fish an hour to keep from getting bored. :-? :o He now has downloaded a fishing application for his IPOD. I think he's hooked now 8-)

paokhang
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM
It's great whenever you can get someone hooked on fishing because fishing is fun and the time goes by like nothing...but the pressure is on you to hook the person. I think that the key is to hook them early on when they are still young...catching endless supplies of bluegills really help. The older they get the harder it is to hook them cuz they want everything right now...Just remind your son that in 5 years he's going to have to pay >$50 just to get a rod in the water. Now he'll understand why we wake up early.

GutHookd
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
That's awesome man. I hope you hooked him good... ;)

kokemachine83
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
iSpy: Awesome job getting your son into some action. Now he can't say it was boring. Downrigger stuck and doubles, doesn't sound like a boring day to me. Hope he will join you on your next adventure. Firetiger has been the hot color as of late. Keep moving around the west end of the lake and you will find them. Again Congrats to the both of you!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Jetspray
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Those are some nice looking fish. Good that you got your son to enjoy what you do. He only has a few years more and then he can get up early like the rest of the working folks. This was a special occasion and hopefully he will adapt a new liking to fishing as well. Doubble hook-ups are a good instigator on that......Jetspray

fat_fish
06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
the cool thing was that he got to play and see a hawg...on your b-day...tell him the hawgs only bite really early and he's very lucky to get that one. nice post.

ff

LuckyIrishFan
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Happy Birthday iSpy!!! What a great birthday gift...to fish with your son. Sounds like you and your son had a blast, and it's okay...you and your son will have many more chances to land the big one again together. Pictures of the fishes look great. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. FISH ON!

arima_fan
06-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I feel your pain and sorrow...
My son, now 17, no longer wants to go out with me :'(

I tried blackmail telling him that he needs the experience so he can take his girlfriend out on the boat, that wont work either!
Well, I was told that it will change when he is in his 20's ;D

fishmaster
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Happy Birthday! Couldn't think of a better way to spend the day. Wish you many more fishing trips with your son.

TJ_Perkins
06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, I was told that it will change when he is in his 20's *

It did for me my teenage years I never touched a fishing pole. *I was only interested in girls girls girls * *but in my mid 20s my step dad and I were fishing non stop * * he just kept asking and when I finally went again I was rehooked. ;)

BuckSnort
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Very cool. Days spent in the outdoors hiking fishing and hunting are far better than any video game..

iSpy
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you all for all the help. If it wasn't for this board I would have never found Camanche this year. Reading where to fish and what to use at Comanche made the trip a success. For a update my son asked when we can go again :)

I also notinced the fish we caught have full tails but when I see others post pictures of the larger fish (Hogs) there tails are clipped. Are they actually planting 10lb trout? I would expect the opposite.

kokemachine83
06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
iSpy: Yes they do plant them that big. The big one last year that i caught was 13.76 and its tail was dinged up a bit. So they do plant them that big. Just fillet and skin and debone and enjoy!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...