PDA

View Full Version : I Need some lake chabot and del valle tips please

monhwd510
05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
hello my name is ramon iam 22 years old from Hayward Ca and i really like fishing and iam new to fishsniffer, i have not been fishing in about six years. I went to lake chabot yesterday and to del valle today. i fished at lake chabot from about 6:30 am to about 1:00 pm from shore and not a single bite. i also did some bass fishing with a 6" senko and a 3 1/2" popper and nothing maybe i can get some tips? *Today i rented a motor boat at dell valle for about 3 1/2 hours and i threw out some yellow powerbait on a 14" treble with the sliding 3/8 oz and a swivel, my leader was about 3 1/2 feet long and my line is 8 lb test, is that ok? to short? to long? i would really like some advice and maybe an illustration if possible. i also had my second rod rigged with some of that smely magic bait from walmart trying to catch catfish but nothing? then on shore i walked a bit to some fallen down branches and trees on the south east side of the lake and used the 6" senko nothing, a strike king frog popper nothing and i also used earthworms same, and last i used the lake fork magic shad 3" long and nothing i left the lake at about 2:30 and got skunked again..... i love the outdoors and love fishing and i see people all over both lakes catching fish so i assume i must be doing something wrong..... if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it thanks...

Jetspray
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the boards ramon510. Del Valle is tricky this time of year because of the surface temperatures. The sliding sinker set-up you are using is OK. If you have a boat access as you used I would move around the lake and try each spot for about 30 mins max if sitting fishing. Also be on the shadow side of the lake in the early part of the day this is where the minnows hang out and big boys come in to feast. Good luck out there.....Jetspray

ccalls
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey Ramon, if you see guys catching fish around you, just walk up and ask for some help and see if you can fish next to them. *Most folks are friendly and would be glad to have a neighbor to talk to while fishing. Also keep track of who's catching fish and where so you can hit these hot spots next time you go the lake. *

BTW, yellow powerbait has never worked for me for some reason. *My "goto "color is chartreuse.

Hooked Up
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm just getting back into trout fishing so I'm far from an expert. I can't stand to see someone give up on fishing, so don't (I'm not saying you are). NEVER give up. Try different things. Ask people around you before you go, during and after you fish. Everyone likes to help. *

Maybe I can help with some of the simple, sometimes over looked things. When you cast, get that bait out there where you want it. Don't settle for a bad/short cast. After you cast, make sure your bait is settled and untangled by reeling in a bit. Tight enough to see a bite but not so tight that a fish is going to feel something is wrong. You want a little slack. I get distracted, so I use a bell on the rod tip. Many times the bell was the ticket. Sometimes it's just the little things. Give it some thought, you'll figure it out.

justonebite
05-31-2009, 09:26 PM
When fishing at chabot i use UL rods with 4lb. mono mainline , 1/8 or 1/4 oz. egg sinker with a small bead tied to brass swivel. Then use a 18"-24" 4lb. fluorocarbon leader and a size 12 bait holder hook. Buy every color poweregg you can get your hands on. Walton's pond has an excellent selection. Some procure wouldnt hurt either. The Dam, Alder point, Indian cove and raccoon point are always top producing spots. After casting, reel in most of the slack and put a bobber and snap swivel on the line between two guides.(almost everyone there does this, just check out your neighbors) this will help in detecting a bite. I usually land fish with a 99 cent nylon stringer, when the fish is close enough stick the metal part through the gill and out the mouth.
hope this helps.

Blktailhunter
06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
This is what works at Del Valle......

Get a 2 rod stamp and walk to the entrance of Badger cove or the back of Swallow Bay. *On one rod use a size 12 treble and *4ft leader with 6lb test line tied to a swivel. *One the main line put a small egg sinker. *Use Green/chartreuse glitter power bait or gulp. Better yet just cover the hook with the power bait and then surround the power bait with the gulp. *That will get you some trout.

On the other rod use the same setup but instead of a treble use a #6 baitholder hook. *For bait use chicken livers or cut anchovies. *That will get you some cats or stripers.

That should just about guarantee that you catch some fish.

catcher_on_the_fly
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey your fishin and thats all that matters,now lets get you catching.The 8lbs. line is fine but I would use a smaller lbs. leader,always make sure its floating before you stank it,you might try powereggs and power worms with procure-gravy-homemade stank.You might wanna try powerbait blood nuggets,they float,and that seems to help,Id use a smaller leader with the cats(1 foot). The powereggs and powerworms are reusable and I can catch a fleet of fish with the same eggs.(money saver) If all else fails,try a kastmaster! Chabot is a oasis in the middle of $#@!land,and all these pointers have worked for me throughout the years at chabot.By the way,if you push the stringer thru the jaw flesh,the fish will survive longer in the water and you leave with fresher fish,Good Luck!!!

monhwd510
06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
wow! i never thought a fishing site so helpful existed, this is a great site, with helpfull members, thanks for the tips guys! i will probably go to chabot tomorow around 6:am and rent a boat all day if not i will fish from shore. i have a few more questions should i fish the same way from shore as from a boat? as in the leader set up with the sliding weight? do trout bite all year long? and catfishing from boat same setup as from shore? any tips will help thanks.... Ramon

Texan211
06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Ramon, I like chabot and del valle but you could also go to los vaqueros in Livermore. Use the strategies that the guys are listing here and you'll do fine. I use a similar setup like justonebite minus the bead. If you do go to los vaqeros fish the south cove or near the rockwall area. These guys know their stuff and are very helpful people your gonna find what you'll need.

NorCal2500HD
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Some good info was posted here. Dont forget about quarry lakes on the fremont/UC border. Now that the water is warming up, the catfish bite is gonna turn on.....good luck. If you ever wanna go out there, shoot me a message.
Brian

FisherMi3nh
06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
This is what works at Del Valle......

Get a 2 rod stamp and walk to the entrance of Badger cove or the back of Swallow Bay. *On one rod use a size 12 treble and *4ft leader with 6lb test line tied to a swivel. *One the main line put a small egg sinker. *Use Green/chartreuse glitter power bait or gulp. Better yet just cover the hook with the power bait and then surround the power bait with the gulp. *That will get you some trout.

On the other rod use the same setup but instead of a treble use a #6 baitholder hook. *For bait use chicken livers or cut anchovies. *That will get you some cats or stripers.

That should just about guarantee that you catch some fish.

I hate the word "guarantee" when it comes to fishing. it has come back to bit me more than once. Yeah man, you will catch fish i guarantee it says a friend. YEAH RIGHT!!!! there are simply days that you would use everything you could think of but if there aren't any fish in the area you won't catch anything simple as that.

but anyway if you do rent a boat Ramon, go back to the dam and or bass cove area. you can't go wrong back there. on bank indian cove is a great place to start. and having a 2nd rod stamp comes in real handy. if you fish inland water its a must to have!

Jetspray
06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree that things and set-ups can be duplicated. You can be on the same spot as a guy right next to you using the exact same stuff. He is slamming fish and you are just watching it. There is a fine line of presentation that makes the fish strike yours. Just get out there and keep it up, that is what it is all about. In most of the east bay municipal distirct lakes the prime color for PB (Power Bait) is a green or chartruese in either PB, Turbo PB, or Gulp. Others work, but up here we use green PB with Gulp surrounding it this keeps the bait on the hook when casting. As a matter of fact it is hard to get off when you decide to move to another location (lake, stream)......Jetspray

monhwd510
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
hey guys thanks again for the help. today i went fishing just for fun at the hayward shoreline i got there at around 4:30 pm and on my first cast i got a sting ray within 5 to 10 minutes man those things put up a fight i was using 20 lb test line a 4 oz lead and two hooks on 6 inch leaders about 10" apart. i was there till 7:20 and the fish were very active till about 6:45 then they calmed down but were still biting till i left. i also caught 3 leapoard sharks all about 2 ft long, and around 5:45 my girlfriends pole was biting she set the hook and the fish was literally pulling her so i took over and started the fight and about 100 feet offshore i seen it rise to the top and this thing was a monster and all of a sudden the line just snapped, i think it was a sting ray it must of had at least a 4 1/2 wingspan at least..... i think i will get some very strong braided line especially for bay fishing. But it was fun as hell ill be going back tomorrow around the same time. i have some pics but do not know how to post them

Blktailhunter
06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
FisherMi3nh posted:

I hate the word "guarantee" when it comes to fishing. it has come back to bit me more than once. Yeah man, you will catch fish i guarantee it says a friend. YEAH RIGHT!!!! there are simply days that you would use everything you could think of but if there aren't any fish in the area you won't catch anything simple as that.

Never been skunked at DV. *Never. We have been fishing DV at least once a week since mid February and we have limited every single time, usually by 1030. *We had to fish to noon once, but we had three fisherman that day and it was a slow day. *When we go we know we are guaranteed. *Maybe you're doing something wrong. The techniques for fishing DV successfully have been mentioned in various threads. *DV can be a tough lake to fish for someone new to the lake, but if you read the posts and take advice from those who have figured it out it is a "guarantee". *Take that advice for what it is worth. *Good Luck......

Dimsumboy
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
man, I'm thinking about heading out to quarry lake today from 6pm till 9ish. let's see how the traffic is once I get off work, gotta stop by the chinese super market on the way for some chicken liver. I've yet to catch 1 catfish from there, mainly because I can never stay late enough without the GF calling and complaining ;D

Dimsumboy
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
well... went to quarry from 6pm till 10pm... skunked! started with charteuse power bait, white power eggs w/pro cure trout scent. then around 8pm moved to chicken liver, anchovies. and not even 1 bite. also worked the area with kastmaster. My back is killing me *>:(

ccalls
06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
well... went to quarry from 6pm till 10pm... skunked! started with charteuse power bait, white power eggs w/pro cure trout scent. then around 8pm moved to chicken liver, anchovies. and not even 1 bite. also worked the area with kastmaster. My back is killing me

I had the same luck at Chabot last night at one of my hot spots.