PDA

View Full Version : Lakes Basin,Mem Weekend

catcher_on_the_fly
05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Taking off today,will stay till mon. evening.Gonna try Gold,Little Gold,Sardine,maybe salmon,and if the salmon creek has slowed up a little,im sure ill give it a whirl.Looking foward to making a full report on tues. By the way,has anyone caught catfish out there? Any bullheads?

Mackattack
05-22-2009, 08:17 AM
How about Packer Lk too ?

Mackattack

catcher_on_the_fly
05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
The hike to little gold will take too much time,but my buddy has been braggin for years about the biggest fish of his life,and it was at Litttle Gold,hope its worth the hike.Packer has always seemed to be the most shallow of the basin,upper sardine is a huge ??? for me,ive heard theres no fish there,others have said different,its suppose to get stocked this year,theres a nice supply of brooks that replenish themselves very well in the basin. We shall see what species is the most willing to be eaten, we will be the loud campers(me and my 2 best buds) in the gold van if anyone wants to have a cold one and B.S.,our fire should be rollin deep into the night,and the first one rippin in the morn.

GutHookd
05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
That sounds like a blast man. Enjoy these outings before you have kids. Turns out babies can't hike for nothin'..... :)

tejedarichard
05-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I canceled my reservations at Salmon Creek campgrounds. I got heat exhaustion this weekend in the Yosemite Wilderness hiked 23 miles (damn global warming) anyway I decided to take it easy in Santa Cruz this weekend. Please let me know how you did. I was going to hit the North Yuba, lower Sardine Lake and Gold Lake fro brookies.

Mackattack
05-22-2009, 09:23 PM
If you kids have enough steam left in you from stoking wood all night and fishing all day take a hike up to the Butte's Lookout and show us a pic ?

Mackattack

dboucree
05-22-2009, 10:00 PM
went to lower sardine last weekend and all i caught were lil stocker fingerlings.....brookie after brookie...

piscolabis
05-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Catcher, my bro.-in-law and I caught lots of native catfish in Snag Lk. last summer .5 miles from Gold Lake. They are about 6" on avg. You can catch them fishing PowerBait or dragging flies on the bottom while trout fishing. I checked with DFG to see if they belonged there and he said they are native there.
Tom

tttr83
05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Fished Packer Lake this Sunday with no results. A couple we met said they caught 8 brooks the day before. Fished the Yuba river just south of Downieville, no luck, but saw some action in the water. I've also heard conflicting rumors about Upper Sardine. At least according to official sourcs, they stock that lake with Rainbow and Brook fingerlings. I heard the lake had only just thawed a week or so before and no one was having much luck. I caught 2 rainbows and 2 brooks out of Lower Sardine Lake but they were all hatchery fish.

catcher_on_the_fly
05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Well,here we go! Friday evening we caught a buzz,early sat we hit up the yuba for an hour,first cast a 3 lbs. brown off a kastmaster,nothing after that.then off to sardine,caught a dozen little bows,walked over to the other side and wham,hooked up like a towtruck,lots of brookies the biggest were in the 3 lbs. range,nonstop till evening.Everyone on that side of lake were protected from the wind,and the stream flowing in helps find the bigger fish in the lake. Sun morning we hit up gold,windy cold and skunky,yet the beer was ice cold.Off to salmon because the trail to little gold looked like a river,3 bites in 4 hours and then wham a 4 lbs. brook for my buddy,back to sardine in the evening for some little bows and brooks near the cabins.We decited to leave early on mon.,it was the most packed ive seen it up there ever! My stepson went on monday with his friend to hike the butte,getting ready for a P.C.T. adventure,my friend was to bring the camera and failed to pack it [smiley=angry.gif],I do have pics of the butte hike,will work on it afterwork,All in all it was a huge success and some downright fun,fish on sniffs!!!

Mackattack
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice trip there bud. Waiting for the pics !

Mackattack