PDA

View Full Version : ?Cleaning the fish

LuckyIrishFan
05-25-2009, 02:52 AM
How soon should you begin to clean and gut your fish the moment you take it out of the water, and begin to transport it home. I live about 10 mins away from Lake Chabot, and a couple of times I had to toss the fish in the fridge before I could get around to cleaning and gutting them. Again, thanks for the advice and FISH ON!

johnbfishin
05-25-2009, 04:21 AM
The sooner the better, but if they are bled out and can be kept cold that time frame can be extended without impacting the meat too much.

Jetspray
05-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Main thing as JB said is to bleed the fish by cutting the gills and having it in water or ice. The fishes heart continues to pump blood and most of the stress toxins leave at that point.....Jetspray

Mr_Ed
05-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree with bleeding ans on ice if possible...........

nothing worse than fish on a stringer in 70 degee water or
warmer all day, to "Pre-cook" the fish.

Zebco Kid
05-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I've been told that leaving it in water is a bad idea. Once dead, the natural occurring salt in the fish draws water, causing the meat to become mushy. Ice is good.

DG

bigdewy
05-25-2009, 07:42 AM
The sooner the better.http://www.pic4ever.com/images/dancing1.gif

crank_bait
05-25-2009, 08:13 AM
as soon as i catch a fish that i am going to keep....i cut the gill and bleed it out. after a couples on minutes, when the lines are back in the water, i clean the fish and put the meat in the cooler on ice.

by doing this....it elimintes one less thing you have to do at the end of the day when you are tired and burned up from the sun. ;)