PDA

View Full Version : a nice limit w/pics

paokhang
05-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Like I said in my last thread I went back to Collins Lake today and man was it packed...I got there at 8:30 AM and the campers have arrived and so have the ski-boats. I took my GF with me and we had a fun time, catching only 12 trout(it woulda been more like 20+ 3 weeks ago), releasing 4 and keeping 8 of the bigger ones. The only thing that sucked was carrying the fish back to the car cuz I did a lot of moving around...you'll see what I mean with the pics.

This pic does not do these trout justice.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/pgkhang/fishing014.jpg?t=1243058905

These pics do.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/pgkhang/fishing015.jpg?t=1243059523

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/pgkhang/fishing016.jpg?t=1243059585

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/pgkhang/fishing017.jpg?t=1243059637

This trout is small but it had a free ice cream tag, wish that it could have had a red tag instead of a silver tag
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/pgkhang/fishing018.jpg?t=1243059682

If you plan to go after this report I would suggest going now...lol...with all of those campers (A LOT!) there I would say that if the trout do not get fished out then they would go into hiding from all of the boating that is going to take place. After this weekend, I would probably say that the action will slow down a lot, though I did catch small DFG planters into June last year. Time to target another species now.

Darin
05-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Right on paokhang. You definitely have Collins dialed in on where to get some nice bows. Your freezer must be overflowing with trout ;) ;D. better to be full then empty. How do you cook them up?Did you get them on Power bait again? I was thinking of taking my pontoon boat out there this weekend to try something new but it sounds like I might get ran over out thereso I think I will stay close to home. I was reading through your posts and it sounds like your a true fish addict..that's awesome and welcome aboard. Keep up the great posts and pictures. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FFG

Hooked Up
05-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Another nice outing I see. Yeah, you weren't lying. That 1st pic doesn't do them fish justice (nice grass BTW), but the 2nd one shows how slabish they were.

Yeah, yeah target new species. Let me know how the bass,cats & crappies (or whatever) are before I get there in a couple weeks.

Jetspray
05-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Paokhang nice looking fish, too bad you had to deal with the crowds. I wll not be going on any lake this weekend. BBQ will be Sun or Mon for my Son and Daughter and their families. Yes we can cook outdoors with charcoal or gas. I think you have Collins on the dial......Jetspray

Jetspray
05-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Oh BTW when posting fish by themselves put a ruler in the picture to show length. I am tall and big so many fish look like minnows if I hold them up. The ruler works.....Jetspray

crank_bait
05-23-2009, 07:03 AM
man, pao...you have been on a tear !! good run on the trout !!

paokhang
05-23-2009, 10:27 AM
The fish were caught on powerbait, any color seemed to do well. The bite was weird, sometimes I would have to wait <2 mins for a bite while other times the wait was more like 45+min. I heard from the store workers that crappie and bass are hanging out in the big cove so if you gotta boat then i would go there. I like to cook trout in a variety of ways. BBQ, baked, but mostly fried. The freezer is not quite full yet cuz i have been eating them before they can get frozen...lol. If anyone sees me at Collins, don't be afraid to ask how's the bite. I was thinking about the ruler thing but couldn't find one.

paokhang
05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
forgot to mention...one of the 3 lbers than I caught had a treble hook still in its mouth. I didn't notice until I went to retrieve my stringer and saw about 1 foot of line sticking out of its mouth...lol. It coulda been a C&R but I doubt it by the amount of leader, it had to have been a fish that broke off. So if any of you recently lost a 3lb trout at Collins lake recently then I have your trout :)

FisherMi3nh
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I haven't been to Collins in years. I remembered just going there for the ice cream.

btw, is it true that you can't have more than 10 trouts in your possesions? meaning no more than 10 at home in your freezer.
a friend told me the DFG told him. this was like 2 years ago. even if this is true, how would they know. LOL

Jetspray
05-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Can you imagine a freezer inspection? You would have to break some serious rules to have them checking your freezer for fish. I have seen them check coolers at Eagle Lake before and usually there is a sheriff there to check your catch during busy times.......Jetspray

BIG_ONE
05-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I haven't been to Collins in years. I remembered just going there for the ice cream.

btw, is it true that you can't have more than 10 trouts in your possesions? meaning no more than 10 at home in your freezer.
a friend told me the DFG told him. this was like 2 years ago. even if this is true, how would they know. LOL

i know right, that's a lame law. what are they going to do, go to every single fisherman house and check in their freezer for limits? LOL.
anyways, back to the topic...nice fish though. ;D

paokhang
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Never heard of that law, needless to say it would be dumb. A lot of these lakes promote people who come and camp there and end up with 2,3,4,5 day limits...that would be like 25 trout...lol, major ticket? I hope not. Well I should be fine cuz I just cooked 4 trout, if they really wanna inspect me then they'll have to wait 1-2 days ;D

Prowler
05-23-2009, 07:54 PM
if they really wanna inspect me then they'll have to wait 1-2 days
OH http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/000201D8.gif that was funny ;D

LuckyIrishFan
05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice pics of all the fishes pao. You're definitely on fire with all the fish you've been landing the past few days. FISH ON!

paokhang
05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Well my friend went up to Collins today to check it out and my suspicions were confirmed. Hecka lot of people camping and hecka boaters/skiers tearing up the water. These ppl make fishing hard, esp when they disrespect us fishermen by not obeying the rules(written and unspoken)! When he texted me asking questions I knew that it could not be good fishing...lol. At least he did not get skunked...He ended up catching a huge 26in rainbow...Thanks for all the posts

Jetspray
05-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Fishing in those conditions you can only Mooch fish. The wave action from the skiers and PWC users make it work for you. Dodger with a worm on a spin flash setup will do, but you have to fish under your boat while anchored......Jetspray