PDA

View Full Version : any info on Lexington Res. near Los Gatos?????

Tigerfox
05-21-2009, 05:28 PM
A friend of mine wants to go here this weekend with his daughters. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Darin
05-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I use to fish Lexington all the time in my Float Tube with good results for Bass. I never target trout and I have no idea the last time it was stocked. If they have stocked it with trout fish the Dam area. For Bass/Crappie I would start at the south end of the lake where the creek runs in and work my way north towards the Dam throughout the day. Here is a map I made to help you out. Good Luck

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/553/lexingtonresivor.jpg

FFG

blue_chrush
05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
save yourself the gas and time,
if you want to fish a local lake for the same fish, *
you would be better off fishing Loch Lomond in scotts valley area.
that lake at least has some fish to catch and you can get a boat for cheap.
there's good camping and picnic grounds there too..
another local lake that may be a choice is stevens creek...

Lexington was drained so low last yr and the cormorant's did a number on
the fish population. *it did not receive trout stocking and the bass fishing
is very slow by reports I have had...
I drive by that lake everyday for the last 38yrs and have had some
great fishing days there, *but its not healthy at this time.

Darin
05-21-2009, 11:53 PM
save yourself the gas and time,
if you want to fish a local lake for the same fish, *
you would be better off fishing Loch Lomond in scotts valley area.
that lake at least has some fish to catch and you can get a boat for cheap.
there's good camping and picnic grounds there too..
another local lake that may be a choice is stevens creek...

Lexington was drained so low last yr and the cormorant's did a number on
the fish population. *it did not receive trout stocking and the bass fishing
is very slow by reports I have had...
I drive by that lake everyday for the last 38yrs and have had some
great fishing days there, *but its not healthy at this time.

Thats a bummer. I haven't fished it in at least four years. Bummer they let it get so low. There was a healthy population of bass back then. I grew up in SJ and I can rember that lake bone dry many times as a kid. I have pictures somewhere of me rideing quads on a bone dry lexington back in the 80"s. The only benefit was that I knew every rock and crevis in that lake when it filled back up. Loch Lomand was a great lake for trout. Glad to hear its still going strong.

FFG

ryanerb
05-22-2009, 12:54 AM
They aren't stocking loch lomond this year for trout, so it might be pretty slow with only holdovers left.

chefchandler
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Been to Loch Lomand a few times this year and havn't seen much really going on. The opening day there were alot of holdovers that were caught but really nothing since then. The bass are always hot in Loch Lomand but nothing else really. As for Lexington I havn't heard or seen anything come out of there since it was so low last year. For fishing in San Jose the best place to go would be Perk Ponds in Los Gatos or Sandy Wool in Milpitas. Since the stop of stocking not very many places around here..

Fish On,
Chef

rivertamer
05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
That's a shame about lexington, have some great memories of fishing there growing up. I grew up in San Jose like foresthill fly guy and when I graduated from HS moved to Los Gatos and fished Lexington quite a bit. What was cool was the river/creek behind the spillway at lexington where I used to catch some great trout. Also caught lots of trout, bass, & crappie at lexington itself.

PapaGreg
05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
:)Caught a lot of crappie there in the late 60's, remember seeing some huge bass that would hang-out in front of a steel culvert that went under the road after you crossed the dam.

Stevens creek was another place to catch lots of crappie, to bad they ruined those reservoirs.

Way up Stevens canyon used to be a place called Smitty's, bar, campground, swimming pool, my uncle used to rent a house there and man, the fishing in that creek was unreal, all on private property.
Not to far from there, Smitty had a reservoir on his property that was loaded with fish, my uncle used to take me there and we caught as many fish as we wanted.

Haven't been there in years, used to ride my Harley there when I got older, good times.

Anybody remember when there was a boat rental/lodge at Stevens Creek?

Tigerfox
05-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I thank you all for your comments. I will let my buddy know to find another lake totake his daughters to. It's funny, he lives minutes from quarry lakes, i'm guessing he wants new scenery.