PDA

View Full Version : caples and red report 5/17

Mark_Woodard
05-17-2009, 09:06 PM
My dad and i decided to escape the heat today and do a scouting trip up to the sierra's. we got off to a late start coming up to caples around 1230. The lake has turned over and debry was all over the surface of the water making it extremly difficult to cast.

Even up there though it was hot as a mother so i said what the heck and took a dip in the lake. Now keep in mind there is still alittle bit of ice on the lake and all along some of the bank. I jumped in and I cant tell u the exact temp but i can say its *FREAKING COLD!!! but now i can say i did it.

stuck around for a bit longer saw one fish jump but no bites at all. We decided to head down to Red and see how it was doing. Got there and there were quite a few bank fisherman out there but almost all with little or no success.

Tossing my gold kastmaster for about a half hour I hooked up with something and I just thought finally a fish! But i ended up accidently snagging a small 5 inch mountain white fish. What were the chances of that happening? I threw it back and kept casting. About 15 mins. later i caught a small 6 inch brook trout and felt a bit more accomplished about that.

After that we left to go and check out the carson river and indian creek resivor. Spent about a half hour at each spot with no success and just ended up sight seeing. So we headed back to Red lake to end the day with. Still tossing my gold kastmaster i managed to land a nice 18 inch cut throat off the dam. *We took a pic and threw him back. I have pics on my cell but don't have the right equipment to load them on the comp. If i can get them up I will asap.

Overall little fish but great day. Trip was just meant to see how everything is doing and its looking slow right now but its doing just fine. Gonna hit it again in a few weeks and see if things are going any better.

Jetspray
05-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the report MarkdaShark19, things have to improve a little at Caples as water flows in. I know it will take time to refill and hopefully with the trout plants things will look up. Going up there this week for the Stockerfest. Will take a look at it.....Jetspray

rpwlaw11
05-18-2009, 04:39 AM
The water line at Caples wasn't that bad considering the way it looked last year. With the newly planted trout, it should be a blast in the coming week. Hopefully the debris will settle back on the bank and not be floating around all over the lake. Water clarirty was a little murky between the run off and pine pollen or whatever pollen that was on the lake. The ice patches were mostly slush and should be gone within two days. They were mostly down by the spillway.

Red Lake was murky a little also. Did hear a rumor that somebodt limited out at Red. Was it you C.C. ? :)

The Carson looked void of fish for the most part at Hope Valley, 66 bridge, and down by the General store. Water was running fast, but very fishable.

Indian Creek was windy as usual and murky. Saw a pelican and a commorant out on the reservoir, so there had to be some fish lurking by. We didn't stay long since it was more of a scouting trip to just get away. One tooner was getting to launch as we were leaving. Hopefully he did well.

You guys have fun at the stockerfest. Mark and I will be at Davis. That was a nice looking Cutt that Mark caught. Guess about two pounds and all red. It's still swimming out there at Red. Last note, the Carson Lodge Resort was still all blocked off, and the road after Caples leading to the inlet was blocked also? The campgrounds on the left side of the highway above Caples was open.

fat_fish
05-18-2009, 08:37 AM
thanks for the scouting trip...nice work on the cutt...caples cg is open...good news. i can't wait...sf09 wooo hooo. did u happen to see how deep the snow looked @ the woods creek fishing access (the blocked road on the east side of caples lake)?

thanks again,
ff

Mark_Woodard
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Fat fish . . . . when we drove up the resort camp grounds (atleast the ones by the marina) and the wook creek road were all closed off. I myself didnt see any snow back there but there was a gate with a no parking sign. Im sure it will be open with in the next few days here. next week for sure

fat_fish
05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
i was thinkin if there isn't much snow, i'll hike back there to the inlet.

thanks again,
ff

Mark_Woodard
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Ive never been back there but i've heard it is a good spot. How is it when u normally go?

JimBow
05-18-2009, 04:51 PM
End of May I bet both Caples and Silver heat up!

fat_fish
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Ive never been back there but i've heard it is a good spot. How is it when u normally go?

it's probably my fav spot on that lake and i have only been skunked there once. usually not to many people either. lots o skeeters though.

ff

Mark_Woodard
05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Yea im gonna be camping up there for a few days so i might go around and explore the whole lake.

haha yea the skeeters are next to impossible to avoid just have to load up on the bug spray . . . maybe eat a lot of garlic haha

JimBow
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Caples was stocked this week, and fishing anyway should get better. Good luck..

Mark_Woodard
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
If any one goes up to caples please let me know how its doing now that its been stocked