PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been by Spicer Meadows?

hdwhoa
05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi,
I am curious if anyone has been by Spicer Meadows. If so, Is it still frozen over? Is the road open? Is anyone fishing there yet? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Another_Mike
05-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Tried it today ( the road)....no locked gate this time but at least one truck stuck in a snow drift about a mile in from highway 4. The road was about 50/50 open or under snow drifts about 2' deep. I was on a south slope however so it could still be ugly in the north slope grade going up from the Stanislaus. *An ATV would be handy there right now.

Otherwise....if no more snow, give it a few more days. If it stays dry it should be fully accessible and NO reason to see a locked gate across the road what-so-ever. >:(

Lake Alpine was still mostly frozen over....give that one a few days also.

hdwhoa
05-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Mike,
I am going up to check out PineCest Wednaesday. I will also check out Spicer. I'll let you know what I find.

Mackattack
05-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey Another_Mike did you happen to get down to Sourgrass / If so can you share a pic of the North Fk Stani with us .

Mackattack

Another_Mike
05-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Mack...

Didn't go that way, but talked to one guy at Alpine who said Boards crossing was do-able. Secondhand info there however so take it as that.

Jeff213
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
So we should be able to go down to the stanislaus soon? That is good news. I cant wait to go down there. I camp there every year around the first week of june.

reeltor
05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
MackAttack- decided to get out of the office for a couple of hours today and took a quick run to Sourgrass and Alpine. Sourgrass looks good, but the water is moving pretty fast. Alpine should be thawed by next week. Don't know whose canoe this is but they are in for a little surprise. I'll also post the fishing report from Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods.

http://i41.tinypic.com/16bhhqw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/rhqsqp.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2m33dqu.jpg

Fishing Report
HWY 4 Corridor
May 12, 2009

Ebbetts Pass is now open.

Lake Alpine should thaw out by next week, but will still have snow around the lake. Lake Alpine Lodge will officially open for Memorial weekend.

Access is limited to Calaveras Big Trees State Park and Board's Crossing Road in Dorrington. The NCPA anticipates having Spicer open by Memorial weekend depending on snowmelt and weather. For an update on the road to Spicer you can call 209-728-1387. If you are able to make it to Spicer, Hobart Creek is off limits until July.

Alpine County will be planting all lakes and streams in their County including Lake Alpine and the The Carson River. The Dept. Of Fish & Game will be planting Mosquito Lake, Kinney Lake, and Spicer Lake this upcoming fishing season. The North Fork of the Stanislaus River and Beaver Creek was planted *for the opener. As of right now White Pines Lake located in Arnold will not be planted until completion of the Environmental Impact Report scheduled during the first week of May, then planting will take place shortly thereafter. There is still fish in the lake.

The North Fork of the Stanislaus River was planted this past week. The planted fish have been really nice this year. The N. Fork is running higher than normal due to this years snow melt. Try split-shotting night crawlers or crickets with a 12" to 18" leader.Bait casters should also try Power Eggs, Gulp Power Eggs, Gulp Nightcrawlers, Gulp Worms, *Gulp Power Bait, and salmon eggs. *Lure casters should try Kastmasters, Panther Martin spinners, Rooster Tail's, and try Rapala's. Fly fishermen should try bead head woolly buggers, bead head nymphs, and black ants.

Beaver Creek has been producing some beautiful rainbows. Bait casters should try split-shotting night crawlers, crickets, and salmon eggs. You can also try Gulp Nightcrawlers, Gulp Eggs, Gulp Maggots, and Gulp Worms. Lure casters can try Rapala's, Panther Martin Spinners,Kastmasters, Rooster Tails, and Mepps. Fly fishermen should try bead head nymphs, woolly buggers, black ants, humpy's, and blue wing olive flies.

White Pines Lake located in Arnold was tough on the opener as there were no fish planted for the opener. *Bait casters should try inflated night crawlers, Gulp Eggs, Gulp Nightcrawlers, Gulp Worms, Gulp Maggots, and salmon eggs, using a cast-a-bubble and 30" leader. Lure casters should try Kastmasters, and Panther Martin spinners. Fly fishermen should try woolly buggers, sparrow nymphs, blue wing olive, bead head nymphs, and black ants.

Campgrounds in the Stanislaus National Forest are not officially open, but there are spots available along the river. Camping is available at Big Trees State Park and Golden Pines just beyond the on Highway 4. You can call Big Trees State Park at 209-795-2334 or visit their website at HTTP://www.sierra.parks.stte.ca.us/cbt/btfacts.htm. Golden Pines website is http://www.goldenpinesvresort.com

For more information you can contact us at Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods at 209-795-1686 or visit our website at HTTP:www.ebbettspasssportinggoods.com. Join us at our annual Father's Day Derby at White Pines Lake on June 21st. We are also soliciting funds for the the Father's Day event to assist in the planting as we lost one of our big sponsors. We appreciate all of our customer's support.

Our Fly Fishing Seminar will be May 17, 2009. The event will start at 10:00am at White Pines Lake. There will be a $5.00 charge per person. We will have several top notch fly fishermen to teach casting and other valuable information regarding fly fishing. Don't miss this event.You can sign up at our store.

Bill Reynolds
Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods

Reeltor

hunkfisher
05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Anyone got any updates on Pinecrest I have seen scattered postings but wondered if anyone has had a good look at the lake and level, they are planting regularly. Meeting a buddy down in Sonora on the 19th next week, looking to fish either Pine, the Ditch, Beaver or one of the Stani Forks. Thanks again!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

JimBow
05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Spicer is sore subject for me - that LOONEY lawsuit and decision by OUT OF STATE "green" groups that caused no more planting there! Absolutely NUTS! >:(
Not to mention no more at Ice House, Prosser, Scotts Flat, Donner, Sly Park.........as if there were not enough problems in our State.
Sorry to go negative, but we need to fight this!

hammerdog
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Jimbow, i also heard there was no more planting at Spicer, but if you look at the below link to the DFG planting schecule, for Alpine County, Spicer is on the list for planting schedule until 2010.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/

steveo79
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Jimbow, the answer is right in this post ;)

Alpine County will be planting all lakes and streams in their County including Lake Alpine and the The Carson River. The Dept. Of Fish & Game will be planting Mosquito Lake, Kinney Lake, and Spicer Lake this upcoming fishing season. The North Fork of the Stanislaus River and Beaver Creek was planted for the opener.

Relax, read more slowly.... ;D

Mackattack
05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks reeltor lots of good info there. I've caught fish with the river that high and fast,draggin a lure though fast water in front of boulders and fish on baby. Again thanks.

Mackattack

Another_Mike
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
With all of the tributary creeks, and an active spawn, Spicer is no where near reliant on a plant truck as most other lakes are. Kudos to Alpine County for stepping up for the other lakes in the lawsuit.

I would also bet at this point (Thursday), Spicer is very, very close to being accessible, if not right now. With 3 days of hot temps coming up it'll be a sure thing next week.

Stanford Lawyers and treehuggers from Oregon....gotta' love em'... >:(

JimBow
05-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Steveo79, yes I didn't read the earlier post on planting, hope it's correct - HOWEVER, read the Fish Sniffer write up (three months ago) on this whole looney issue and you'll see Spicer was a main topic of the write up, and that DFG was cutting off plants. So, unless they "reshuffled" the deck of what was "off" and what was "on", the data earlier this year indicated no plants. I hope I'm wrong.

JimBow
05-14-2009, 05:07 PM
THIS IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO, SEE BACHER JAN 2009 -
If Alpine county is helping stock (as opposed to DFG), then I think that's great and I'll gladly support their tax base!!!!

Sierra Businesses Strongly Oppose Stocking Ban

In the Central Sierra, owners of fishing businesses were outraged because 11 out of 22 waters formerly stocked in Alpine County will no longer be planted and no waters in Calaveras County will be planted.

“Catching a fish of a lifetime or having your children or grand children enjoy the pleasures of catching their first fish may be only a memory of days gone by,” emphasized bill Reynolds, owner of Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods in Arnold. “This court ruling passed down will affect hundreds, if not thousands of people including all of the businesses that are dependent on our fisheries up and down our Highway 4 corridor.”

The list of waters where trout won’t be planted in Alpine County include Lake Alpine, Upper Blue Lake, the East and West Forks of the Carson River, Markleeville Creek, Meadow Lake, Upper and Lower Mosquito Lakes and Silver. Two of my favorite reservoirs in the entire Sierra, Spicer Meadows and Union Reservoir, won’t be stocked.

“This will be devastating to not only our business and surrounding businesses, but will have a trickle down affect to suppliers and manufacturers,” said Reynolds. “I am in this for the long haul and I am prepared to fight for what has been a heritage for most families, including mine, passed down from generation to generation.”

Reynolds criticized the two environmental groups for having little concern for the economic impact the litigation will have upon local businesses, as well as the dollars that recreational fishing generates for conservation and local fish restoration.

“This lawsuit was initiated by groups that not only do not care about us, especially in these tough economic times, but are not even located in our state.,” said Reynolds. “The Pacific Rivers Council is located in Portland Oregon and the Center for Biological Diversity is located in Tuscon AZ. Tuscon AZ.”

Bob Boucke, owner of Johnson’s Bait and Tackle in Yuba City, said a halt to DFG planting in Feather River watershed lakes including Rollins, Scotts Flat, Englebright and Collins lakes will have a big impact upon tfishing businesses already hammered by the unprecedented salmon closures on ocean and Central Valley rivers this year. He also noted that suspending plants at many lakes and streams could have the opposite effect intended, putting more fishing pressure on wild trout and other fish populations.

“Now these waters will only have wild fish to fish for,” he said. “I fear that the wild trout populations will get caught and the groups will use this as the excuse to close all fishing on these waters. The hatchery program, in my opinion, actually helps the wild trout populations by taking pressure off them.”

Although some have portrayed the decision to stop stocking as a “frogs” versus “fish issue, the ban was enacted to “protect” not only frogs, but 16 fish species, including California golden trout, southern California steelhead ESU, south-central California steelhead ESU, central California steelhead ESU, summer-run steelhead trout, McCloud River redband trout, arroyo chub, winter-run chinook salmon, coastal cutthroat trout, spring-run chinook salmon, Goose Lake tui chub, hardhead, Modoc sucker, Owens speckled dace, Owens tui chub and the Santa Ana sucker.

Amphibians that the ban was designed to protect include the California red-legged frog, Cascades frog, foothill yellow-legged frog, northern leopard frog, mountain yellow-legged frog, northern red-legged frog, Oregon spotted frog, the tailed frog and the arroyo toad

El Dorado County was also hard hit by the planting ban, with 16 waters taken off the plant list. These include the Silver Fork of the American River, South Fork of the American River, Dark Lake, Upper and Lower Echo Lakes, El Dorado Forebay, Ice House Reservoir. Jenkinson Lake, Kalmia Lake, Lost Lake, General Creek, Stumpy Meadows Reservoir, Taylor Creek and Wrights Lake.

hdwhoa
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks to Everyone for replying with some great information in regards to Spicer and that area of the Sierras. Taking your advise I ended up going to Pinecrest for a two day fishing trip Wednesday and early this morning with my wife.
Pinecrest is full of small 8-9 inch fish. The report claims about 4000 pounds last week were planted and more on an earlier stocking. I did see some larger fish up to about 15 inches being pulled in but these were definitely exceptions. The majority are these fingerling planters. I did terrible. Trolled from the inlet to the dam and only caught 4 tiny little planters and threw them back. I did catch a beautiful looking black bass which is probably a bad thing for the lake.
Another thing to be aware of is there are some controlled burns taking place in the area. The wind turned direction mid afternoon covering the lake with smoke almost making it un-fishable do to the lousy air quality giving me a headache.
Today me and the wife hiked completely around the lake and fished for about 20 minutes near the inlet. Had a couple bites on eggs and nothing on crawlers. We watched a boat about 100 feet out from the inlet limit out quickly on those little suckers.
A piece of real good info is for the next week or so the motor boats are half off during the weekdays. $40 bucks for a boat after lunch until closing is very reasonable.
Below I have attached the link to the DFG planting website. You can see exactly what lakes are scheduled to be planted by region. Again, Thanks for all the inputs. Cheers, Harry

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/