PDA

View Full Version : 5/1 - 10.25 lb Tahoe Brown Trout! (pics)

Sierra Fin Addicts
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
My very good friend, Karl Kristkeitz, came up to Tahoe to do some river & lake fishing with me. *Neither the rivers nor the lake let us down. *

After a very successful morning on a local river (check the flyfishing board a bit later) we headed back up to Lake Tahoe to hit the late afternoon / early evening bite. *We decided to start off toplining with live minnows on 6# floro leaders pulled behind attractors up in the shallows. *Well, on the second pass along an area where I've been having pretty good luck on the Browns of late the inside rod doubles over violently and we're on. *The fish made a long steady run with big head shakes right off the bat and I was pretty sure at this point that we had hooked what we were looking for. *After gaining some of the line back and getting the boat out into deeper water the fish came right up to the surface with it's dorsal fin & tail clearing the water 100' up wind of the boat. *Now I knew what we had on and a good idea of the size. *After another 10 minutes of making runs & quick dashes we were high fiving Karl's new personal best. *As a very girthy 28" hook jaw German Brown Trout came to net. *Also, for those of you who haven't met Karl his 6' 4", a big guy, just for comparison sake!

Neither of us would ever even consider eating or keeping a trout of this size so we released it with no questions asked. *It looked to be in great shape as it swam away so maybe it will be another anglers dream come true in the future!

Good goin Karl!

Go fish & fish hard!

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5590/dsc1234v.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc1234v.jpg)
Big Karl's Big Brown!

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8341/karlsbrown5g.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=karlsbrown5g.jpg)
Prerelease Closeup!

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4638/karlsbrown6.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=karlsbrown6.jpg)
Girthy Fish!

LuckyIrishFan
05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
What a fish! Congrats!

Captain Compassion
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
That is one beautiful fish. Look at the tail. You can tell that the fish fought a ton. Thank you both for returning it to the lake of the sky.

CC

metroutfanatic
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
wow what a goregeous fish congrats

shadbuster
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
What a beautiful fish! Congrats.

Blktailhunter
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Bravo on the catch and release. Great fish!

hooks
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks SFA for posting this report and picture. You guys had a great day of fishing. Congrats on the beautiful brown.
:)

troutfan
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for sharing a picture of that beautiful specimen. That is one of the nicest hen Browns I've ever seen. Congratulations on a fish of a lifetime! 8-) ...and for the release a big fat dose of good karma! 8-)

fishingfan
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
wow, sweet looking fish. congrats! *;D

Topaz_Tom
05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Gerald, That is one beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. It's great that you were able to release it. Those Tahoe browns have a look all their own. 8-)

fat_fish
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
wow what a beautiful fish...you are one lucky man...nice work on the release also. That's a trophy fish for sure...which brings up a question. not to derail the thread, so pm's r great too. what should you do to have some one make a replication to mount a fish like that? tons of pics and measurements? and how to do it w/o harming the fish?

thanks,

ff

red_perception
05-06-2009, 04:35 AM
:oThere it is!!! :oWOW Brother, she sure is a pretty girl ;) Love the square tail!!! Big Congrats again and Good luck, Eric :)

Sierra Fin Addicts
05-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Hey Fatfish, I know that these days there are taxidermists that still do the old style skin mounts (you'll need the actual fish), fiberglass mold replicas (where a fish was used to make the fiberglass mold at one point), and even cheap mounts made from plastic which I'd stay away from (not very realistic).
In my opinion the best looking final product which will last a lifetime is the fiberglass mold replicas. The guys that have been doing this for awhile have storage rooms filled with these molds hanging all over the place since you can reuse them. So if you catch a nice fish and take a few nice photos (for color patterns & shape), and take its measurements (length x girth), there's a good chance that you'll find a guy who has done a mount of a fish very close to yours in the past and can make a nice mount for you without even needing the fish. Though, if you catch a fish that has a unique shape or look to it and have your heart set on your mount looking exactly like the one you caught I'd recommend keeping your trophy and making sure the taxidermist uses your fish to make a new mold.
Both myself and friends have had experiences in the past where we caught & kept our trophies (big largemouth bass) and brought them to a highly recommended taxidermist in S. Cal. The fish that we got back were not made from what we brought them. The taxidermist still ended up using a mold from a previous mount that he had done and you could tell. My bass original was a hair over 13lbs. and it's measurements were (24" x 24"). The fish that I got measured nearly 26" long, but 22" in girth. Though, the taxidermist clained it was a 13 lber., which it was but didn't look like by football!! So be careful and ask alot of questions so you get what you pay for.

fat_fish
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
thank you gerald...now all i have to do is get one. i'd just hate to kill a brown like that.

ff

Sierra Fin Addicts
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Fat Fish, It's like I said you'd probably get a mount that will look very close to the one that you caught if you decide to release it. *Length, girth, good pics, and maybe over the fireplace mantel if the wife allows it!!

fat_fish
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
that's what i'd do. i just couldn't kill a fish like that. she already knows it's comin...just when is the question. probably would be sooner if i booked a trip with you...gotta save....and i have a b-day comin up. thanks again.

ff

4bes
05-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Gerald,

That sure is a beautiful brown, my congratulations to you and partner.

Hope all is well!
Forbes

Big_D
05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Right on Gerald!

I hope there's one of those in my future one of thse days 8-)

Big D

stonesfan
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
What a beautiful fish! Congrats.........

* *"DITTO"

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

Sierra Fin Addicts
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Big D, You know the drill. This one was taken from an area that should be pretty familiar to you! :)

mrsockeye
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Way to go Gerald. You are the man on Tahoe. That is an amazing looking brown. I love the look of those silvery big lake fish. Hopefully I run into that fish's 16 Lb big brother someday. ;D Keep at it and I think you may give Neilson a run for his money on that lake record.

STRIPER_STEVE
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
All I can say is wow what a great fish and to say that if I ever had a chance to fish those waters and catch the same fish. Thanks for the pics post and release!!!!

Darrin.deel
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Thank you for releasing that fish. Good Karma.

bennyfisher
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
THATS A BIG BROWN 8-)

Steelhead1
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
:o :o :o :o nice one

tahoetopliner
05-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice Fish SFA, the brown bite has been outstanding, also congrats to Red for some stealth kayak action! We sent some pics to the paper edition through some sponsors and in support of the paper edition! Mr. Sockeye, all the records are open to be broke, thats wy they are kept! The paper record we do have, the last 3 as a matter of fact, but I Know of a few larger caught but never certified, a 16 that was lost by Gorge Rupel and found a day later by Stan Hansen and hangs at the Sportsman next to his 30lb Mack at S. Shore, and old stories from Stan Pomin and Jack Martin of a 22lber weighed in at the Outdoorsman by Ivan Ivanhoff in the late 60's. They just got the new mount of the lake record and have a cool derby this summer for anyone who wants to see it! Keep up the good work!

King James
05-11-2009, 06:39 PM
What nice lookin brown....man that's a healthy great looking specimen..Thanks for the wonderful write-up and picture...so fine..

Sierra Fin Addicts
05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey thanks Mike. *Your the Brown Trout man down there on the South / West Shore! *I've definitely haven't been getting any real numbers as of yet up here, but the ones landed have been nice ones. *Things should really start to get interesting here in the shallows in the very near future. *I think another round of big Browns are due to come as we start nearing this next full #$%&!

Darin
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif Wow Nice Brown. Thanks for shareing that beauty and great job on the release.

FFG

Schu
05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
amazing