PDA

View Full Version : S. For American River/Hwy 50

bobby
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
anyone ever fish the accessible area of the South Fork American River along hwy 50 goin to south lake tahoe??

Im headed out that way thursday morning....

any feedback would be great?

or any other decent eay to get to spots?

Mackattack
05-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Theres a day use area just before you get to Bridalvail Falls. They do charge you entry. Lots stream axcess there. Or up the road at the campgrounds or futher up just before Twin Bridges is a free day use area with axcess.

Mackattack

Jetspray
05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Haven't tried those places in years myself, might just give them a day try. I'm only 30 min from Tahoe....Jetspray

Mackattack
05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Stop in at the Siver Fk. general store. The lady that works there has good info for that area. Dont forget to report back to us good or bad and take pics,we like pics.

Mackattack

Jetspray
05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry Macattack I don't do pic's just not that savy and looks are everything. That is CC's dept anyway.....Jetspray

JimmyC
05-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I know it's not exactly off the freeway, but I camped and fished a few years ago up Silverfork Road about 3-5 miles at the Chyna Flats CG and caught some real nice bows there. Right past the campground there's a day use, and up the road a mile or so there's a bridge you can fish under.

bobby
05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys ill give it a shot, ill have a 4 month old baby sittin on my back in one of those backpacks so i cant get too crazy!! But il give it a shot, ill snap some pics too

is echo open?

Bridalvail Falls sounds cool, is this easy to find?

is the no stocking of this area gonna kill the fishing?

Does the "Silver Fk. general store" have a website? or a phone #, i googled this but found nothing

Mackattack
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Bridalvail Falls sounds cool, is this easy to find?

Its on the right side of the road just before Hy 50 hits the river. Theres always people stopped there but you can miss it if your not looking for it. Small falls unlike the one at Twin Brdges but still cool to look at as its right on the side of road.

Mackattack

Mackattack
05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Does the "Silver Fk. general store" have a website? or a phone #, i googled this but found nothing

That may not be the actual name but you cant miss it,its on the right side along with some other buessiness.

bobby
05-11-2009, 02:01 PM
mackattack, thanks for the info, bummer none of this stuff is NOT going to be stocked, was hoping to catch a quick fiosh for our daughter before we hit south lake....

do you think the flows will still be too high to fish too?

IS there anyway to find out if echo is open, could be lots of snow too huh?

Mackattack
05-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Some locals ca chime in help with that. Warm days high flows is my guess. I'm sure theres still fish in the river just got to try.

Mackattack

silversmolt
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
yes it very prolific form bot dry and wet flys. The problem is that most of the fish are 10" or less, but at least they are wild

bobby
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
ill be there checkin things out, ill have the camera!

JMat
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Theres a day use area just before you get to Bridalvail Falls. They do charge you entry. Lots stream axcess there.
I live in the area and as of yesterday the gate to this place is still locked. You can still walk down to the river from here and it's totally paved but with a baby on your back it will be a trek.

JMat

bobby
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for that last bit of info, sounds like I just might wait a few weeks, Im actually going up for a wedding and was gonna try to sneak in some fishing, another week or two and Ill go fishing!!

As always, SOLID feedback from the guys!

Mackattack
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
You could always take the kid for a walk along the stream profile chamber at Taylor creek.

Mackattack

random hookups
05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Just some extra information...I stopped by the lower S. Fork Friday and it is still really high. I have had great luck with dry flies, bouyants, and some home made spinners I bought years ago from a small tackle shop in Bridgeport while fishing the S. fork in the area you are talking about. My biggest was a 20'' brown that hit my Bouyant lure as I was pulling it out of the water. I usually don't start fishing those parts until mid June.

bobby
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks Salmonstud!

Mackattack this sounds good
"You could always take the kid for a walk along the stream profile chamber at Taylor creek."

where is this, ill snap some pics to post!