PDA

View Full Version : Foothill/mountain lakes an hour-ish from Auburn

auburnfisher
04-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone... I'll be fishing this Saturday and would appreciate any recommendations for a lake within an hour or so from Auburn where I could launch my aluminum boat or drown bait from shore. I'm considering Stumpy Meadows or Fuller but not sure if they are accessible and not sure if the bite is on in those lakes. Englebright is a standby, but I'd like to try something new/different. Thanks!!!! Auburnfisher

Mickey_Thomas
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Call the Georgetown Ranger station on road info to Stumpy ;) The road should be getting close to being clear by now :D

hellbent
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Spaulding is still locked and you may have trouble at fuller, 2 weeks ago it was socked in but snow goes fast now....Lake Valley?

JJJ-Mo
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Folsom is pretty full, but hasn't exactly been on fire lately. There are some trout and a few leftover kings being taken. Trolling rapalas and crawlers seems to be working. I was out there friday for two planter trout. I'm in Auburn myself, and I tend to forget that I have it right there. The Rattlesnake Bar ramp is open, and the back side of the lake on the North fork is pretty sheltered from the wind, though not terribly productive.

I've also heard Rollins has some browns biting lately, but I haven't been there yet.

Clementine doesn't have many wakeboarders out yet (though with the warm weather that may change quickly). I was out there last week with nothing to show for it, but it is close by.

If the road is clear, stumpy would be a good option as well. I haven't been up there yet this season myself. I may give it a shot on Friday this week.

A better bet (if you like bass fishing) might be Camp Far West (about an hour). It has been a more reliable producer for me in the past, though again, I haven't been there yet this year.

If you want to drive a little further for trout (about 1 1/2 hrs), Bullards Bar might be nice too. Don't tell the locals I mentioned it *;D

rudy_divin
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Lake valley is still iced over i was there less than 2 weeks ago. The gate is also locked. We parked at the gate after getting advice from a forest ranger that it was a decent place to fish. we walked over a mile to near the dam ,then through 5to 9 ft of snow up and around the dam. Got to the top and completely froze over ! We did look through the creek there below the dam and saw some very small trout. Brookies???? They did not look like rainbows. They were about 6 to 8 inches long??? Baby Browns? Its still a mistery to me. I was in Auburn today and it was snowing flakes the size of quarters. Fuller is also still unaccessable to my knoledge. Good luck on your trip Auburn Fisher.

Fishdogg 8-)

gercor
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
My brother went out last weekend to Ox Bow just past Foresthill, he said the road was open and no problems. He fished for 4 hours for only two fish in the boat but he was fishing :). Just FYI and a thought, as it is about an hour from Auburn. You might try Suger Pine too but not sure if the road is open or not.

Antonio_Banderas
04-14-2009, 10:19 PM
You can get to Sugarpine but no camping for about 2 weeks

fat_fish
04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
ffg went to sugarpine a month back and hammered em on his float tube and fly rod. i would like to see another report from there.

ff

auburnfisher
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Sugar Pine, eh??? Interesting... I wasn't thinking of Sugar Pine because I went there only once and pulled crawlers, needlefish, rapalas, blah, blah, blah and got nary a bite. So I kinda gave up on it. If I hear a good report between now and then, Sugar Pine will be in the running. I'm hoping to go to Stumpy Meadows, but the ranger said still some snow. Might throw the dice and go there anyways...

kidfish
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
4WD / 6 TO 10 INCHES GROUND CLEARANCE SHOULD GET YOU IN.....DID IT MONDAY B/4 LAST .....IT HAS SNOWED THERE AGAIN SINCE THEN....3 HOURS ON THE WATER 1 SMALL BROWN .

Darin
04-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Sugar Pine, eh??? Interesting... I wasn't thinking of Sugar Pine because I went there only once and pulled crawlers, needlefish, rapalas, blah, blah, blah and got nary a bite. So I kinda gave up on it. If I hear a good report between now and then, Sugar Pine will be in the running. I'm hoping to go to Stumpy Meadows, but the ranger said still some snow. Might throw the dice and go there anyways...

I'm heading out to Sugarpine tomorrow (Fri) with the toon. I'll let ya know how it goes ;)

FFG

auburnfisher
04-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks FFG!!! Good luck today. Hope you nail 'em. OK, I'm going to push my luck here. would you mind posting a report when you get back? I'll be headin out in the crack of dawn. Either stumpy if its accessible or sugar pine if you slay them today. :-)

CraigV
04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Sugar Pine.

when trolling up until temp rises at end of june- silver or white needlefish with pink or orange. depths 20-35feet, set rigs around 20 feet down.

Bank or bait fishing- simple. last three years- ORANGE POWER EGGS. or combo with an inflated worm.

previous years was yellow powerbait or rainbow.

Darin
04-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks FFG!!! Good luck today. Hope you nail 'em. OK, I'm going to push my luck here. would you mind posting a report when you get back? I'll be headin out in the crack of dawn. Either stumpy if its accessible or sugar pine if you slay them today. :-)

This morning I had a change of plans and headed to a different local reservoir. PM me and I'll let ya know. Sorry, too many lurkers to post about this spot. I caught one of the biggest wild bows I have caught in a while..24" :o and two other small Bows and one 22" Brown. It was a great day to say the least. I was dead drifting a black bugger with a purple bugger dropper 3ft below the black bugger and a single split shot 2 ft up the leader. My drift was about 1/2 to 1 mph. Talked to two guys using worms and they had a skunk for the day :P..I'm kind of glad. Live bait kills these guys when they swallow the hook, and the fish are few and far between here nowadays. I forgot to get my battery off the charger for my camera this morning so no pics,,just my luck >:(. It was a little windy but it made the drift just perfect.

FFG

cofisherman
04-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Stumpy Meadows is accesible. I went there there 2 weekends ago. I didn't fish, but there was no snow there. A few miles up the road towards crystal basin there was snow.

Stumpy meadows has a ramp and there is no fee to launch.

auburnfisher
04-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone who gave their 2 cents! Partner and I decided to throw the dice and go to stumpy meadows. There was just a bit of snow on the side of the road, but access was no trouble at all. we toplined 1/2 crawlers behind flashers and started nailing rainbows and browns right away. we had 11 in the boat by 11:30 including a 19" brown which hardly put up a fight, but was a pretty fish. nice lake!