PDA

View Full Version : shasta reports?

playnhooky
04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Headed up there in 2 weeks. Any reports?

fishon_chris
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I too am heading up for the kokanee power derby in two weeks.If any one has any it would be great.

Thanks
Chris :)

shake-n-bake
04-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Headed up there in 2 weeks. Any reports?

Just got back from fishing Shasta for 2 1/2 days with Mr. T17 the wind really kicked our butts. Launched at Hirz Bay everyday, the Hirz Bay campground is still closed so check first if you plan to camp there. Monday we started fishing at about 12:30 when we got there we *fished the McCloud arm and only caught one small king on a pink tube @ 30' Tuesday fished the McCloud arm again started down by Holiday Harbor and worked back towards Hirz Bay (it was against the wind) Picked up one trout and 2 small kings about a 1 1/2 miles down stream of Hirz Bay ramp these came on lead line out about 5 colors on Excel spoons all fish were caught within 15 minutes then nothing the rest of the day. Wednesday we decided to fish the dam so made the run to the dam from Hirz Bay graphed lot's of fish at Digger point so started there and worked towards the dam Mr.T17 had a king on within 2 minutes on the lead line agian and an Excel so we thought we were on them, didn't get another bite we worked to the dam then across the front of the dam and back to Digger Point nothing, so we trolled all the way back to the McCloud arm with nada. We picked up and moved back to our spot downstream of the Hirz Bay ramp and Mr. T17 caught 2 more Kings on Needle Fish with the lead line in short order and that was it. We were talking to a boat from Oregon and they talked to Gary Miralles who was fishing on Wednesday and the three people on his boat only got 6 so we didn't feel so bad.

Sorry I don't have a better report for you but things should be much better in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck

Zebco Kid
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Shake-n-Bake (aka Raider Nation),

I was with my friend from Oregon. He was the one talking with you on the radio for a couple days. Rough going indeed. We were impressed with your tenacious drive to keep on going. More than once we said, "those guys are real fisherman."

You did a lot better than us. We simply had a few bass over the course of two days. First the McCloud arm where the wind kicked our butts all day long. Not fun under any circumstances, but for trollers...eek!

The next day we launched out of the main body, and worked towards the dam, and up to the bridge. Another poor showing.

We redeemed ourselves on day #3 on Lake McCloud. Nice body of water, and nice fishing.

I'm back up for a clinic this Friday and Saturday with Miralles. I'm thinking about exploring Iron Canyon on Friday morning.

shake-n-bake
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
DG

It was nice talking to you guys, it was definately tough conditions all around, sorry we couldn't put you on the fish glad you found some success at Lake McCloud. We had big dreams of catching some of those big Shasta trout but maybe next time. Next month we are going to try Lake Almanor hopefully the conditions will be better.

Hope to see you on the water again.

Zebco Kid
04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out an Eagle Lake / Almanor combo trip myself.

Cheers.

DG

shake-n-bake
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Great hope to see you there, we will be fishing May 19-24 not sure which campground we will be using.

S&B

Woody
04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
We just got home from Shasta as well are luck was really good we didn't plan on even going to Shasta. *We camped at Whiskey town Thursday night had a nice boat in campsite that we stayed in Thursday. Then we were told that it was reserved for the weekend so we packed up camp and moved to Shasta Bridge bay Marina. *

Fished Friday Afternoon at the Dam Started at Little backbone and worked are way to the dam. *Caught are first fish within 2 minutes a very small King then 3 small trout in the next 30 minutes then a bass then 2 more small kings. *As the sun went down things slowed down so started switching things up finally found what the trout wanted and caught 3 more trout all about 16 inches across from Toupee island.

Saturday morning we started *at Lotte backbone *first thing we caught a small trout then it was slow for about 45 minutes and my wifes rod goes off and I thought she had a snag but when I looked at the depth and it was 100 ft I knew it had to be a fish we got it close to the boat it was a king about 4 or 5 pounds and it took off and that was the last time we seen it. *
From there we started working our way to wards the dam but it was so windy it was hard to fish as we started to reel in we caught a small king and a nice 18 inch trout. *
Made a long move up the Pitt arm above the Arbuckle boat camp. *By now it is Noon and getting pretty warm started making our way back down river and right in front of the camp we lost a good fish so we worked that area for the next hour and put 3 nice trout in the boat. *We also let 3 other bass go.

Saturday afternoon we went back up to the Arbuckle camp and as soon as we put lines in the water we started catching fish we had doubles, triples, and multiply singles. *We caught so many fish in a short period of time my wife was ready to give up because she was tired of catching fish. * I lost count of how many fish we caught Saturday afternoon but it was pretty crazy for about 2 hours.

In 1.5 days I would guess we caught

10 salmon
15 bass
25 Trout

Lures

-Orange *Flee Bitty( top producer)
-Blue/silver Wee-Tad
-Orange Brass Criplure
-Red/brass Criplure

Firetiger Rapala
Perch Rapala
Blue/Silver Kastmaster

Woody

Zebco Kid
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Woody,

That was the trip we were all hoping to experience. Good job!

DG

We just got home from Shasta as well are luck was really good we didn't plan on even going to Shasta. *We camped at Whiskey town Thursday night had a nice boat in campsite that we stayed in Thursday. Then we were told that it was reserved for the weekend so we packed up camp and moved to Shasta Bridge bay Marina. *

Fished Friday Afternoon at the Dam Started at Little backbone and worked are way to the dam. *Caught are first fish within 2 minutes a very small King then 3 small trout in the next 30 minutes then a bass then 2 more small kings. *As the sun went down things slowed down so started switching things up finally found what the trout wanted and caught 3 more trout all about 16 inches across from Toupee island.

Saturday morning we started *at Lotte backbone *first thing we caught a small trout then it was slow for about 45 minutes and my wifes rod goes off and I thought she had a snag but when I looked at the depth and it was 100 ft I knew it had to be a fish we got it close to the boat it was a king about 4 or 5 pounds and it took off and that was the last time we seen it. *
From there we started working our way to wards the dam but it was so windy it was hard to fish as we started to reel in we caught a small king and a nice 18 inch trout. *
Made a long move up the Pitt arm above the Arbuckle boat camp. *By now it is Noon and getting pretty warm started making our way back down river and right in front of the camp we lost a good fish so we worked that area for the next hour and put 3 nice trout in the boat. *We also let 3 other bass go.

Saturday afternoon we went back up to the Arbuckle camp and as soon as we put lines in the water we started catching fish we had doubles, triples, and multiply singles. *We caught so many fish in a short period of time my wife was ready to give up because she was tired of catching fish. * I lost count of how many fish we caught Saturday afternoon but it was pretty crazy for about 2 hours.

In 1.5 days I would guess we caught

10 salmon
15 bass
25 Trout

Lures

-Orange *Wee-Tad ( top producer)
-Blue/silver Wee-Tad
-Orange Brass Criplure
-Red/brass Criplure

Firetiger Rapala
Perch Rapala
Blue/Silver Kastmaster