PDA

View Full Version : Good trout streams above Visalia or Fresno?

baileyrj
04-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Most of my time is spent trolling Pine Flat and occasionally Kaweah Lake but looking to mix it up and try some stream/river trout fishing next week. Anyone have any suggestions on some decent places above or around Visalia? Dont mind hiking some to get to a place but would like to spend as little time on the road to get there as possible. Any ideas are appreciated.

keviwa
04-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Dinky Creek ;)

ryanerb
04-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Kings River below pine flat. Flows might be getting high on Dinkey from snow melt. Also check when dinkey creek is open for fishing, it might be part of the general trout season, april 25th - oct31 or something? check dfg for sure.

Fish_R_Us
04-16-2009, 04:04 PM
The Merced River up off of SR-59 by Snelling has plenty of highway accessible places to catch rainbows and browns. Access is closer to Livingston than Merced.

MattMan
04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Most of my time is spent trolling Pine Flat and occasionally Kaweah Lake but looking to mix it up and try some stream/river trout fishing next week. *Anyone have any suggestions on some decent places above or around Visalia? *Dont mind hiking some to get to a place but would like to spend as little time on the road to get there as possible. *Any ideas are appreciated. *
Try the Kaweah River just inside Sequoia National Park. I have fished this river a number of times and can boast a few 20 - 30 fish days. The river holds beautiful wild Rainbows. You can fish the Middle Fork behind Buckeye Flat Campground and along the Marble Fork along Potwisha Campground.

Both forks are just up the road from the park entrance. Take 198 to Three Forks, and on into the park. It's about 35 miles from Visalia. Good luck. *;)

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2358/k92za2.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7262/k132rv0.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1143/k82jj2.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8283/13362.jpg

ryanerb
04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I think matt c has the winner pick. I've always wanted to go there, never made it. Did hear there could be rattlers, could be wrong though? read up past posts maybe.

MattMan
04-17-2009, 05:47 AM
I think matt c has the winner pick. *I've always wanted to go there, never made it. *Did hear there could be rattlers, could be wrong though? read up past posts maybe.
Ryanerb, there are rattlers, though I have never seen one on the river, or on the trails. I did see one in the campground once, the rangers were wrangling it into a container, then later taking it away. ;)

baileyrj
04-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think we're going to try the Kaweah River near Buckeye and Potwisha. Its a pretty quick drive from Visalia.

Any suggestions on what to use? I thought I'd take some crickets and I have a bunch of flies I just picked up from Sportsmens Warehouse. Probably also take rooster tails, acme kastmasters, etc.

ripinlips09
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey bail never fish that river but the panther martin spinner always works great or salmon eggs.Good luck and if you ever want to take a drive north fork of the yuba river is off the hook.Fish on

Snowtrout
04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Up in Sequoia park there is Stoney creek. *Lots of good memories from there with heavy rainbow trout plants mixed in with native rainbows and brooks. *

baileyrj
04-18-2009, 01:17 PM
We made the trip up to Potwisha this morning. *Very first cast in with a cricket produced a small but beautiful wild rainbow. *It hit so fast, I thout it was the line or weight bouncing on rocks! *Let the little guy go unharmed for another day. *I thought to myself...gonna be a greast day...theyre hungry! After that...went downhill...maybe one bite. *Tried crickets, flies, panther martins, salmon eggs, worms and a kastmaster...pretty much everthing but dynamite. *Saw several other people including a couple of individuals fly fishing but didnt see anyone catching. *There are definitely some nice looking pools there. *Ill be back.