PDA

View Full Version : June Lake Loop??

kingman65
04-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Decided to fish June lake loop the week of May 3rd. I have never been to the area before, was wondering if anybody out there was familiar with the lake(s) in the area, what's hot and not, areas etc. Will the lakes be iced over?? Can't find a good updated website for the area, are there any?? Thanks for any help giving!!

Captain Compassion
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the Sniffer Kingman65. You came here for information and information you shall have.

June Lakes Loop has 4 lakes and a fine fishable creek.

June Lake is a good sized body of water. It is stocked with catchable bows by the DFG and with jumbo Alpers Bows by the local merchants. In addition to this the DFG is trying to establish a cutthroat fishery. From shore fish the SE corner south of the beach at Oh! Ridge. Climb down the rocks from the highway goind along the south shore of the lake.om a boad fish the south east shore around the tulies with a bobber and worm combo. Troll the south shore and in front of the Beach at OH! Ridge. Use Gulp, Power Bait, Worms either floated or with a Mallow. Luers such as Kastmasters, Bouyants, Phoebees and such can work as well. Troll With Flasher/worm, Needlefish or Raps. You can use bigger boats here.

Gull lake is a smaller body of water to the SW of June Lake. It has stocked bows and Alpers bows. It is an excellent lake for smaller boats and tubers. Fly fishing is good here. Standard techniques will work. Most of the biggist fish during opening day come from this lake.

Silver Lake is NW of Gull. It is a good shore fishing lake and is heavly stocked by the DFG. Fish the south end of the lake below and to the north of the parking area. Fish from the boat rental area on the west side of the lake up to the Camp Ground. Gulp, Powerbait, worms and lures cast from the shore work well.

Grant Lake is North of Silver Lake. It is a large body of water that is often low due to drawdown for LA water. There is shore fishing at the narrows south of the boat ramp. You can shore fish the north west part of the lake where a small creek enters the lake. You can also fish the east side of the lake by crossing the creek below the dam. There is trolling on this lake and bigger boats can be used if water levels permit. Troll the narrows, West shore off the points and around the dam. Good opportunity for sizable browns here.

Rush Creek runs between Silver and Grant Lakes. It is a beautiful small stream with lots of pressure and trout. There is fishing for stockers immediately below Silver. Further down there is a canyon where a little bit of effort can get you into holdover bows and fat Browns. Flies, eggs, small Panther Martins, worms ans small plastic jigs all will work.

Hope this helps.

CC

mike_l
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
hey Kingman...I'll be there the same week. Based on several years fishing at this time, I believe the June lakes will be fishable and probably Mammoth as well. Convict is usually fishable by then too. The higher lakes like Rock Creek will either be iced over or still have at least some ice to deal with. To the north, I believe Lundy will be open, maybe Lower Twin, but the Virginia Lakes are very high and probably still iced up.

This info is based on past experience and may be incorrect for this year. If so someone from the east side (I'm sure) will halp us out with better stuff...

I'll be tubing Gull and others of those lakes after hitting Crowley in the mornings. Good luck...-Mike

my edit...CCompassion's write up on the waters themselves is GREAT info...-m

random hookups
04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
The June Lake loop is probably my favorite place to fish. Beautiful area and my family has been going there since the 50's. I mainly fish Gull, June, Grant, Virginia and Little Virginia.

I put the boat in at June and dock it at the Marina during my stay. IHave had great success trolling with bouyants and top lining muddlers and wooley buggers.

I float tube around Gull near the reeds to the right of the boat dock. My biggest fish out of this lake was a 6.5 rainbow on a bouyant lure from the float tube.

In Grant, Virginia, and Little Virginia I like to walk the shoreline and throw a fly with a 4-5 foot leader below a swivel and a bubble filled appx. 3/4 with water. It gives you weight to cast it out but will keep the fly in the top 6 inches of water. I retrieve the fly very slowly and twitch the rod every 3 to 4 turns of the reel handle. I suggest muddlers, wooley buggers (olive, black or auburn), or hornbergs (brown). I only fish Grant the last two hours or so of sunlight but have had success at both Virginia Lakes during all hours of the day.

kingman65
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Thank U all for the info. CC i've been reading the forums for months just recently joined and started posting, but thank you :) CC also want to thank you for your earlier info., that's way I chose June lake loop. Hopefully have some nice pics to post when we get back!

kingman65
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
mike hope to see u out there, i'll be in a tube too! going to stay at campground hopefully around june or gull lake. I'll probably be wearing something that has Sacto Kings on it, hope to say Hi to ya!!! good luck to u to!

mike_l
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Kingman....we camp down by Tom's place and hit crowley in the mornings til the wind kicks up and we get tired of sitting in the boat...after lunch and a brew or 2 we hit close by lakes...I'll be in a fish cat 4. If you see a guy in a cove napping...that's me ;D

-Mike

troutbum20
04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I will also be up in that area Kingman im staying in Bishop and then traveling to The Loop. another option is the Bishop water, Intake 2 will be heavily stocked! Bishop creek, north lake, south lake, sabrina, pleasant valley, and the owens all have some bruisers! hope to see you up there!