PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 4/11

Backcountry
04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Headed up early - wondering if the recent rains muddied up the water or the action. Pleasantly surprised to see the water realtively clear. Not so pleasantly surprised that the action was kinda slow (at least at first anyway).

Went thru Swallow Bay with grubs, but nothing going on so I headed up towards Heron and the dam. Spent a good 2 and half hours before I finally got a hook up coming down the west side away from the dam. Finally, skunks dead and the cat is off the boat. Got a bit windy so I headed back down towards Swallow Bay. Making the right turn into the straight both rods go off within 30 seconds of each other. Grabbed the rod with what felt like the biggest fish. Unfortunately only had him on for a few minutes - he felt like a good fish though, right up until he spit the hook anyway. Grabbed the other rod and to my disappointment that fish was gone as well. Crumps!!

Stayed with grubs and got another hookup right in front of the tules on the west side of Swallow Bay - nice 4lb'r that gave my 5' ultra light a run for the money. No sooner is he in the box and lines out again and bam - must have hit a school of very hungry fish (right around the bend going into the narrows) because for the next 20 minutes I was catching them as fast as I could real in my lines.

Ended up with six (one 2 lb with dark red meat) in the boat (3 released) and three that got away.

Off the water at 11:00 - but thinking of heading up again in the morning. Think it's definetly starting to pick up.

Good seeing out there Mark - hope you found that spot where the bite was hot.

-Backcountry

fishmaster
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Good talking to you backcountry. We hit heron for a few then went back to where we lost a couple big ones this morning. We got one of them! Just had to stick it out for quite a while, but it paid off.

Blktailhunter
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice to hear the slugs are back on the bite.

Klamdog
04-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Backcountry,
Thanks for another one of your detailed posts! *I always enjoy reading them. *Sounds like you had a pretty good day! *I've been real busy, haven't been out in a while, but I have next week off, so I'm going to go out Wednesday afternoon, spend the night, and fish Thurs. morning also! *Hopefully some sniffers will be out!