PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish in eastern sierra's for trout opener

kingman65
04-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Me and a friend of mine have the week of May 3rd off and we where planning a fishing trip somewhere in the eastern sierra's. Never fished the area before, what lake or lakes would be good to start out at? We'll be camping for about 4-5 days. We will be fishing from the bank and float tubes, any advise would be greatly appriecated!! Thank you.

rc mckokanee
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
where are you traveling from ? most likely that time of year, sonora pass and tioga pass will be closed. ebbetts probably also. unless the snow levels are so low they might be . the june lake loop might be ok, grant lake has some nice fish and there is a stream running between most of the lakes that you can fish. bridgeport lake and twin lakes maybe with stream fishing on robinson creek. topaz lake. the carson rivers area , red lake, silver lake, woods lake. all are good areas. maybe some of the sniffers who live on the eastern side can chime in.

troutfan
04-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Keep in mind the opener is April 25. * *All the lakes along the US-395 corridor will be full of fish. *Most all of the lakes in Inyo and Mono county are on the "stock" list. I guess they're not too worried about frogs! ;) ;D How fishable the streams are will depend on the weather between now and then. ;)

Captain Compassion
04-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Moat cards are on the table. ;D You are going the week after the opener. First choice for me would be the June Lake loop. Good shore and tube fishing at June, Silver and Gull. Camp at Gull if you can. Good shore fishing in the narrows at Grant. There are CGs at all lakes. Rush Creek between Silver and Grant is a must. A little farther afield throwing Kastmasters off the Dam at Lundy can get some browns. The 88 lakes, Red, Caples and perhaps Silver (Amador) will still be iced. The W. Walker could be good if flows are down. The Little Walker should be excellent. If you can get a boat ride Bridgeport and Twin Lakes should be excellent.

CC

kingman65
04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry forgot to mention i'm coming from Sacto. I usually fish caples and blue lakes, love blue lakes! I've just never gone farther, have a friend that always talks about Convict Lake?? I've been leaning towards the june lake loop though. thank you to all for the advise much appreciated!!!! hopefully will have nice pics to share with everybody! oh ya, wanted to go week after opener hopefully less crowds! :)

Captain Compassion
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Going the week after is not a bad way to go. I'll open somewhere on the 25th because that's tradition but the week after I'll hit some of the places I discussed. Convict lake is in my book the most beautiful lake in the Sierra and the fishing can be quite good. It is hammered on opening day weekend. Also in that area is Crowley Lake that can be good shore fishing from the east shore. The higher lakes such as Mary, Mamie and George above Mammoth and Rock Creek Lake will still be frozen at this time. You really can't miss this time of year. It's a ways to drive but worth it.

CC

NRJohn
04-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Plan to fish 26th-28th at Crowley. I'll post a report when I get back. Tubers usually fish McGee Bay and the point; Sandy I think it's called.

Convict is spectacular although personally have never caught much there. You also might want to try Lundy. Have done very well there around the opener. It was very full last fall so should be interesting to see how it is now.

direct
04-05-2009, 07:10 AM
last year we fished under the bridge at the hiway 88 inersection , if you ere turn left you would be headed towards markleyville. 4 of us pulled out 14 fish of course mine was the biggest at around 4.5 lbs. also the west carson is good. yeasterday bob simms radio show dfg was on she was saying something about there not as much planting this up coming season I only caught the last part of the interview.

troutfan
04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah the West Walker and points south would be a much better bet for the opener! ;)