PDA

View Full Version : Freshly stocked trout

bretmoua
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
It seems like all freshly stocked trout have locked jaws or something. * :-X *I was out fishing at a local pond that was stock with trout this morning and couldn't get a single bite for 3 almost 4 hours. * >:( *I threw everything known to mankind for catching trout and couldn't get a hit. *Anyone have any success on catching freshly stocked trout? *I heard that the fish are fed to the extreme so they don't bite anything....is that true? *I also heard that the fish are shocked? *Now that just sounds too weird, doesn't it? *:o * Lets hear how most of you catch freshly stocked trout. *
By the way, I wasn't the only one who couldn't get a bite all morning. Turns out, there were only 2 or 3 fish caught, when I talked to other anglers.

Captain Compassion
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
1/8 or 1/4 oz black and gold Panther Martin or a grasshopper Trout Trap Stinger mini jig.

CC

bretmoua
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Been used already. Believe it or not, I even used my trout magnet, which had a negative reaction to the darn fish.

fshnhunt
04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow, thats weird. Did you try the old standby, blue/silver Kastmaster?
Could you see them jumping and stuff? Maybe their was some big temp change from the water in the truck to the lake water temp that just shocked the hell out of them?? :-/

FishWisher
04-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Throw a handful of gravel over the pond and... get ready! (Seems that would mimic the feeding they're used to at the hatchery.) Well, I've often thought that would work, but never had gravel on the boat. Anyone ever try it?

Dale

BIG_ONE
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
give it till tomorrow then it'll start hitting. and yes they are shocked, pond waters have differ temperatures and when changing from one fish into another area without introducing the water temp to it. and just simply dump the fish in it, it will shock the fish as they have a much more sensitive skin than us human do. so for now, they need to adjust to the water temp and condition.

put on a 6-8lbs test, come tomorrow early morning before sunrise and use a all white crappie jig with no swivels, split shot, whatsoever...you'll start to nail them guaranteed.(don't take my words for it, things can change *:P)

8-)

rudy_divin
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Its in the regs , throwing gravel is not legal. There was a post a month or so back on that. I think i remember you from Coastside , you used to fish Hogan for stripers and and post alot. Any luck at Hogan lately ?

Fishdogg

fat_fish
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
That first statement wasn't necessary.....

tomorrow morn will be off the hook if not this eve. *they don't shock them, their body is in shock from the net, truck ride, net, plumit, and belly flop.

ff

rudy_divin
04-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Del Valle used to be the same way. After a plant they had lockjaw for 3 to 4 days.

Fishdogg

billfisher
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
*I also heard that the fish are shocked? *Now that just sounds too weird, doesn't it? *

So you're walking down the street in your neighborhood on a sunny afternoon wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Suddenly a space ship swoops down and sucks you up. You are in a small room with hundreds of other people. There is some air, but not enough oxygen to go around. After a couple of hours you are weak and sure you are going to sufficate. Suddenly the floor opens up, you all go down a shoot and fall in a pile on a frozen wilderness. Wolves immediately descend on the group and start picking off people on the outside edges. You fight your way to the middle of the group, but you are freezing cold, exhausted and scared.

How's your appetite? ;)

twoelk48
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
* * Several times I have been at a location when the planting truck has arrived and watch as the truck backs down a boat ramp, opens the dump vale on the back of the truck and the water from the truck blows out the dump valve taking the trout wiht them. *My partner and I tossed kastmasters and limited out quickly the went on to fish for bass. *A lot of time you can see the planted fish swimming in circles by the ramp as they get orinated to their new surroundings. *
* * Here is somthing else to think about. *I have had my boat out a min of 3 days a week almost every week this year catching a minimum of 10 planted trout per outing for the past 14 weeks for a total *of 420 *planted trout so far this year. *I am a non smoker are you? *Reason I ask is one of the guys I fish with was a heavy smoker and couldn't catch anyting till he put rubber gloves on. *Then you have another smoker lightening them up one after another and slaming fish go figure.
* * Guys I consider die hard fishermen are up at 330 am and starting the moring on the water by 6 am and that gets earlier and earlier during the summer. *We *tend to follow the fish and if not personally I can get a report in a heart beat. *Best of luck Kent

MontanaN8V
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
3-4 hours after a plant? The gang may have already fished them out by then. JK. Fish are weird like that sometimes. I fished right after a plant and did well. Other time I could not buy a bite, so I switched to bass gear looking for bass, and caught a limit of trout on a husky jerk bait in firetiger color. Go figure.

BIG_ONE
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Trout always have to be waited for a day or 2 to get the action started. Catfish are pigs and will start digging everything right away.

;D

shadbuster
04-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Throw a handful of gravel over the pond and... get ready! (Seems that would mimic the feeding they're used to at the hatchery.) Well, I've often thought that would work, but never had gravel on the boat. Anyone ever try it?

I tried doing this before years ago when I was a kid, before I knew it was illegal (I barely knew what a reg. book was :D) and it didn't seem to help at all.

paddle
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
During transport, stocked fish have been removed from one artificial environment and placed in another in which they are anything but happy campers...shocking, temp changes, altered oxygen content, etc. *Takes them a day or so to get comfortable in their new waters. *There is nothing sporting about catching them fresh off the truck. *Besides, Costco is cheaper. * I was at DellValle yesterday when the Lassen stocking truck showed up as I was hauling out. *I stood there and watched along with about half a dozen folks, some of which had *rods in their hands. *The water was pretty clear and you could easily see the disoriented fish around the launch ramp for a time. *We stood there watching the process and admiring some of the porkers in the bunch...7+ lbs. *To their credit, not one person threw out a lure, even after the stocking truck had departed. *These fish didn't stick around shore and in 15 minutes were a couple of hundred feet out heading for deeper water. *

FisherForLife
04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Couple years ago i used to fish local ponds with my cousin every friday or saturday. Right after the plant (like 5 minutes after) was the best time to catch them. They always went crazy and just bit anything and everything. I think they were just pissed and bit at whatever they saw. I've never seen this lockjaw you guys are talking about and i fished probably over a hundred times right after the plant. (Growing up of course, i've since moved on to bigger game) just throw a small white crappie jig like someone already said, or even better, a rainbow colored rooster tail. Can't go wrong with powerbait either.

Jetspray
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Thing is do you want the trout directly from the hatchery or do you want a hold over that has aclimated itself to the conditions of the lake.I would take the later myself.....Jetspray

danlbee
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
That seems to happen alot. I think they get a little spooked with thier new enviorment. A day or so and they usually come around. Good luck.

bretmoua
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
First off, I'm not a smoker...but my younger brother is a smoker and that hasn't affected his fishing since who knows when. Sometimes, he'll catch more fish and other times, I will. Anyhow, I tried again this evening for almost the same results. When I got there, I noticed a couple of fish being caught right off the back. So I set up my gear again. Threw out every possible colors of my kastmasters. Then switch to my super dooper. On to my rooster tails and panter martins for nada. I even tried my trout magnets again for the same results. I then switch over to power bait and got a couple bites. I was able to bring in 2 fish in that hour. Right before the sun went down, I switch over to all my lures again and couldn't get a single bite. I noticed a few people walking back to their cars with only one or two fish each only. Pretty slow evening. I'm sure it'll be on like donkey kong in the morning and/or evening.

STRIPER_STEVE
04-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Please dont take this the wrong way but where is the sportsman in catching freshly planted trout? I could see getting some kids hooked off fresh plants but adults should be fishing for a bit of a challenge. Try something that you may get holdover or a fish that isnt half stoned. Just my opinion hope I didnt offend anyone.

Captain Compassion
04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Please dont take this the wrong way but where is the sportsman in catching freshly planted trout? I could see getting some kids hooked off fresh plants but adults should be fishing for a bit of a challenge. Try something that you may get holdover or a fish that isnt half stoned. Just my opinion hope I didnt offend anyone.

They just had the Amador Fest that is based on catching freshly planted trout. It can be fun. ;)

CC

fat_fish
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
That first statement wasn't necessary.....

i apologize (sp?).

ff

MontanaN8V
04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I grew up catching natives up in Montana, and they were fabulous to eat, and fought well too. I had a blast last september and November when I went back. But I have gotten used to California, and put and take is the name of the game, so put me out there, and I will take some home for supper!

johnbfishin
04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I grew up catching natives up in Montana, and they were fabulous to eat, and fought well too. *I had a blast last september and November when I went back. *But I have gotten used to California, and put and take is the name of the game, so put me out there, and I will take some home for supper!

Yup, and our options are getting squeezed tighter and tighter, even some of the back country is seeing changes. :'(

Never
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
What pond are we not catching fish at?