PDA

View Full Version : Heather Farms 03/31/09

gmdcdvm
03-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Alright,
I had some time off this week so after weeks of hearing Macattack post about Heather Farms I figured I would go try it out. The main goal was to get my dog out and let him stretch his legs, but if there were any trout that wanted to cooperate I was more than willing to let them.

Made it out there a little after 12p.m. It was an awezome day, about 75-80 degrees, and a little breeze to help keep it cool. Set up shop at the west end. There were two guys fishing near the club house, and word was they had 3 in the box. They took off shortly after I got there. The north end was occupied by a guy who was there with his two kids.

Set up using power bait off the bottom. About 20 minutes after I got there the guy and his kids start yellling! His son landed what looked like a nice 1.5lb trout. That was apparently his first fish ever (he was about 3 or 4 years old). They proceeded to land another about an hour later.

The best part of the day was meeting Russ. He is the guy in charge, and we talked for about an hour swapping stories. He had just stocked the pond last Friday. That will be the last trout plant, and then he will be stocking cat fish and hopefully some blue gill and black crappie. He is not sure if he'll be able to get some, but you never know.

Spend the day reading and rebaiting without any obvious bites. About 3:15p.m. my rod went off and I landed a nice 1.5lb trout. Tried again until 4p.m. but no further takers.

Met Jack on the way out who was their fly fishing. In the brief time he was there I saw him land 3 or 4 pretty quickly. Thanks for the fly fishing info. Jack.

Final count for me: 1 trout. Final count for the guy with his kids was 3, but they were still there before I left. Saw one trout someone had left along the bank and another floating belly up near the shore on my way out :'(, not good.

Maybe I'll try again Thursday afternoon when it cools down a little.

G

Mackattack
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry I missed you G. I stopped by again after work to check the afternoon bite at 4:45pm and Phil was there along with some other's. He got one as we were talking for 20mins or so. Another was caught by some guys near us also. the fly guy got some ,thats awesome. Tomorrow i'll take the fly rod for a last ditch effort. I think if you want trout you better get there quick.

Mackattack

gmdcdvm
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
No worries Macattack. Next time I plan on being there a little later in the day. I forgot the sunscreen and now have a pretty good burn (not good with a bald head).

Jack, the fly fisher, not only bagged a few but was bagging them pretty consistently. He had 4 in less than 30. He was using a small midge of some sort with lite leader. I asked him what type, but he couldn't remeber. It doesn't surprise me that he did so well. Even though the fish were not biting on power bait during the day they were constantly rolling in the shallows feeding on flies and other small bugs.

Any ideas what the small bait fish are going around in schools? I don't think the trout spawn in their and they did not look like catfish.

G

acousticrain
04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Cool beans congrats on your first trout at pond G. I saw a few dead trout before as well and it could be that the cormrantes got em or people tried catching and releasing and the fish didn't make it. So that is pretty sad. I got there at around 6pm, Phil and Robert were there as well, was there till about 8ish, final count 1. Had a few bites, was using worms with green power bait. Gonna see if I can get some hits after work today as well. :D

Mackattack
04-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Any ideas what the small bait fish are going around in schools? I don't think the trout spawn in their and they did not look like catfish.

G

No idea what they are ?

Mackattack

Mackattack
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
The family and I are going back out to the pond tonight. Any takers ?

Mackattack

acousticrain
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Got to the pond at 600pm. Final Count was Jake with 4 and Steph with 2 woohoo. Was a bunch of other people catchin stuff here and there. Called it quits at about 8ish! Went home, got out some of the smoked trout I had made earlier and made a mean sandwhich mixture out of it..mmm. All I need is bread now. :D

dinos marine
04-01-2009, 09:06 PM
hey raingirl,
1/2 trout, 1/2 cream cheese, a little hot sauce [smiley=sonar.gif] [smiley=stirthepot.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] some crackers....... yum