PDA

View Full Version : tangled up mess

jesballs
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
hey can any one tell how to stop tangles on turns when trolling? It seems like the only time i dont get tangles is when i only have two lines out.i take turns wide as possible but i still get tangles

jesballs

The Reel Deal
03-30-2009, 08:01 PM
when having 3 or 4 rods out, run the middle rod(s) about 20-30 feet closer to the boat. usually i will go out 110' on the sides and 85' or so in the middle.

I speed up on the turns, usually to about 4 MPH when making the turn, this also can help trigger strikes.

make sure your lures are running true, I have found with grubs I get a tangle once in a while, i think due to the fact that they dont swim as straight as rapalas and such.

hope this helps

-Jeff

rfresema
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
The best way to avoid tangles is to keep everything the same length back. Count the line out carefully or use a line counter reel. The lines will cross when you turn if you don't. You can turn pretty tight this way with no tangles.
If you're running lipped lures such as rapalas, check them by the boat first to make sure they're running straight.
Another trick is to put an egg sinker on ahead of your leader to keep one of the lures running a little deeper. If you have downriggers you can keep everything at a slightly different depth also.

dave_in_el_dorado
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
different lines can make a difference as well. i noticed braid doesnt respond as fast in turns as mono. so if toplining braid and mono at same time keep them on opposite sides of boat.

my normal set up is one down rigger line, one lead core line and one to two toplines. i havent had a bad tangle yet (is there a smilie for knockin on wood?)