PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Lagoon trolling

Troutbum43
03-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Woke up Monday morning, saw what a beautiful day it was, strapped the kayak on the roof and headed for Freshwater Lagoon. The day was more of an equipment test than anything, I had the trolling motor/battery set up and the portable fish finder on my 12ft kayak, I have been hoping this will make it easier to fish bigger lakes like Ruth, everything seemed to work ok although the big hand me down trolling motor is way more muscle than I need but hey I won't argue with paying free ninety nine.

Freshwater has come up, average depth in the 12 ft range, some areas to the north as deep as 14ft. Started out trolling a fly on leadcore, had one nice series of hits but it never buttoned up. Trolled for another few hours using different flies and lures but never materialized. One bankie with a sliding rig and floated crawler had a real nice trout, probably 3lb range. Since they aren't stocking anymore pretty much any trout you catch will probably be a nice one, who knows how long they will last. Its catch and release for me from now on there, it won't be a take lake until stocking resumes.

No one else seemed to be doing much good although I have heard that before the big storm it was pretty hot, maybe it will get a little better. I am thinking Ruth will be my next trip after I hopefully bag my gobbler. Big Lagoon looked low and murkey, Stone looked ok and tempting.

tarbuckle
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Big Lagoon is low because it broke open last week.Water clarity is terrible yet I managed a 19inch steelie last week. I was casting a kastmaster while working the spit.

Troutbum43
03-25-2009, 07:52 AM
way to go tarbuckle, good things happen when the spit breaks open there. way back when I caught a 29 inch steelie out of there that was pretty sweet. Looked like a Mattole fish, long but skinny as a pencil. I have just been really gun shy of big lagoon after getting caught out in the wind in my kayak, that was the epitomy of "not too much fun here". I love the lagoons and love even more getting the paddle and a fish deal ;)

I'm sure I'll see you up there one of these days this spring, I'll keep my eye out for that handsome dog of yours! I've got a white Jeep with some duck stickers and an HSU Alumni plateholder on it, stop by and say hi if you see me.

tarbuckle
03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Yep, It was a skinny guy. Biggest I've caught in big lagoon was also 29 inches and also skinny.
A couple years ago I got caught out their in the wind in my little coleman crawdad. It was pretty hairball. I thought to myself " O.k. , now I see how people die out here "
I had to beach the boat at the 101 causeway and walk back to the truck. You could see the white caps start at the other end and they were on me in seconds.

Ruth should be doing well right now.

EGWaterGuy
03-25-2009, 05:09 PM
When I went to HSU Big Lagoon was the first place I fished up there and just happened to walk up on the right spot by the spit, pretty good sized group of steelhead. I have always wanted to get my boat in there and troll around. In college it was one of my favorite spots and yes all the steelhead I caught in there were pretty snaky also.

Travis