PDA

View Full Version : O-dark thirty at the Pond

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Lines wet at 6:30,first hit at 6:50. Lots of bites but no hook-ups ? I gotta figure this out. As I was leaving Acousticrain shows up(hope she has better luck than me.) Lots of surface activity before fist light,maybe time to practice with my fly rod !. Good luck Steph.

Mackattack

Mickey_Thomas
03-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Gee, with so many ponds it's hard to figure out where you were fishing ;D At least you didn't post you had limitls in an hour so we'd all be chopping at the bit to find out ;D ;D ;D

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Heather Farms

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Now the secrets out.

Mackattack

Martinez Frank
03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Where is the launch for that place :D

SuperDave
03-17-2009, 07:47 AM

With a name like "Heather Farms", hard to keep a clean response. ;D ;D

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 08:43 AM
DFG warden is on the way there now(a-hole throwing rocks at cormorants with fish in the mouths). No gas motors allowed besides you can cast across to the other bank you jokers.

Mackattack

CHICKFISHING58
03-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear no fish but at lease you got to go ;)

GCinGV
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Next time you might try throwing some Rapalas that are painted all black. Floaters for shallow flats and Count Downs for deeper water. Use the CDs if you can so you can cast further. I use #7s, 9s and 11s.
It sounds crazy using black lures at night but itís kind of a standard practice in some states for Black Bass and Iíve found it also works well for Trout. A black lures makes the most distinct silhouette of any color at night. Iíve tried glow in the dark stuff as well but havenít had any luck with it yet.
If you do try fly-fishing Deer Hair Mice also black or dark brown can be really hot at night. If you canít find any black ones a Magic Marker will darken them up pretty well.
Iíve also recently been trying rubber mouse imitations and other top-water plugs (small poppers, chuggers and prop baits) that you can throw with a spinning reel but havenít had any big successes yet. Still in R&D mode with those but the black Raps and Dear Hair Mice are in full on production mode at night.
GC

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks GCinGV

Mackattack

troutslayer05
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Mack what side of the pond do u normally fish? I mean i guess it doesnt really matter all that much but i saw guys to the left of the building seemed to be catchin more than us on the other side?

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Usually at the north end but also between the fountains. Dino got 7 on my usuall side. I've seen fish caught all over so i guess its just not my time yet !

Mackattack

Martinez Frank
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Get a hand full of gravel and throw it in the water, the fish will come running, they think it's feeding time at the hachery ;)

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Get a hand full of gravel and throw it in the water, the fish will come running, they think it's feeding time at the hachery ;)

I might get acussed of throwing rocks at the waterfowl

Mackattack

Mickey_Thomas
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Heather Farms

*Mackattack
I thought that was a golf course in Walnut Creek :o

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Golf course is Diablo Hills G.C. across the street Mickey. DFG is also stocking Hidden Lks. off Center St. in Martinez and yes thats close to a golf course also, Pine Meadows G.C.

Mackattack

rudy_divin
03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Its A Big Bathtub. Yes right by the golf course. And near the bb feild.

Fishdogg

dinos marine
03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
downriggers and fishfinders work pretty good at the pond as well ;D :D ;D :D
seriously, was out there 1-4pm today, caught one, missed two had five other light hits. secret seemed to be pink power bait fished with an open bail (yeah just like in the sierras!)
guy next to me caught two cats on a recycled crawler, and two trout, he missed about as many fish as well. the bite is light and picky, ehy will hit the bait and drop it. i even missed a couple with an open bail! he took out line, and just dropped the bait.
tight lines'
dino
ps see you thursday? gonna give amador a try tomorrow.

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM

I can see it now,A chinook or sikorsky dropping Frank into the pond at first light only to realize they set him on a fountain. Him yelling at all the joggers to toss him a PFD cause he left his at home, oh and waiting for the tide(fountains to start up) to come in and lift him off. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Dino I was thinking the same thing, open bail single hook with the barb exposed and just some small split shot enough to get into the zone ?

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
More pics(sorry fuzzy)http://i44.tinypic.com/dm8qk2.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/35kmmw6.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/21zsr4.jpghttp://i39.tinypic.com/148lrfr.jpg
Must of been an earth quake or too much java ?

dinos marine
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
i used a gammi #10, single egg hook. small pb on hook, then a squirt of krill juice or corn juice, short leader (12" or so), swivel, glow bead, then a small egg sinker. thats about it. tossed it btwn the fountains. i let it settle and then opened the bail.
the fish actually ran with the bait instead of nibbling it. its worth a shot. i kept getting taps, then the fish would leave. the open bail worked a little better.
rumor has it they might do another plant this week??
dino
ps,
the photos are hard to keep the blurr of unless you have a tripod. try to speed up the camera and see what happens. sometimes there is a iso setting, try 800 or faster.
gotta go, its late and i have to wake up at 430 to be at amador by 7am. go get em!

Mickey_Thomas
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Golf course is Diablo Hills G.C. across the street Mickey. DFG is also stocking Hidden Lks. off Center St. in Martinez and yes thats close to a golf course also, Pine Meadows G.C.

*MackattackThe only Hidden Lake I know was in Pacheco, I grew up swimming in that lake when everyone said it would give you polio ;D News flash, I didn't get it :D Before they build all those house's Hidden Lake was actually "hidden", it was like having a community swimming pool, if you could find it :o

Mackattack
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
News flash Mack is Back in town. Yes the pond gods were go to me tonight. Two in the bucket,one on Gr. PB, one on RWB PB. Yes they did stock this morning. Pics to follow soon. Dino and Rain Girl see you tomorrow.

Mackattack

dinos marine
03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
mackattack,
i hope to make it out tomorrow, but i think i am working...... if not ill be there. there is always friday?
amador was good today, check out the amador posting. limits finally at amador. almost lost my rod today, caught it just in time before it went over ::) guess why they call it slamador :o
dino

acousticrain
03-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I bought a new pole, Ugly stick, Basspro sure did blow me away when I saw it from the freeway. Only issue was that few gals in the store didn't know what i was talkin about when I was askin about different tackle, lol. Looks like this Sunday going to hit up the Feather River, only been there once in my life so not sure what to expect. I hope to hit up the Pond soon if not tonite then maybe tommorow, well see how I feel..sucks getting off right when the sun is going down.

Mackattack
03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Will be at the pond 5 to 7ish tonight and probably tomorrow also. Left my cell at home today so no text till I drop the Harley off and get in the Quadrasteer for that gruelling 5min. drive to the pond(lol).
See ya there.

Mackattack

troutslayer05
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Mack I think that i fished with you last week. I was the guy that came up and was fishing to the right of you guys when the kids came and fished inbetween us for a little bit. Next time i see ya out there ill do a formal introduction lol 8-)

Mackattack
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Come on by TS and say hello. Was there last night for a bit a caught 1 little guy that I gave to Robert who was wearing a Fish Sniffer hat. He said he has ties to founding fathers of this great info site. Dino was there and did pretty good before we got there.

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Also took a walk this morning around the pond in hopes of getting a pic of the beaver or otter, what ever it is. No critter but one guy there on the south end at 7:10 with two trout on the stinger already.

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Did a 1&1/2 hr shift at the old cement pond after work today. Some had fish,some did not. Dino was the hero of the day with the smoked Slamador trout he offerd me. It was fabulous. Thanks Dino. Tomorrow morning with the fly rod(WooHoo).

*Mackattack

dinos marine
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
good luck mack,
so final count, 6 trout, at least 10 misses. and of course after you left i caught 2 in the back corner ;D never fails...
went to the other side where the ol guys sit and caught 2 more. by 7pm, everyone started to get fish but me :'( oh well.
hope to see some sniffers out there mon or tues. im brining some slamadors, and it takes a couple of days to brine and dry.....then its smoking time [smiley=bananasplits.gif]
acousticrain never showed, guess she was sleeping. i thought she would be trying out that new rod.

Mackattack
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll be there for more Smoked Slamador treats for sure. Rain Girl may meet me there this weekend some time. You should post your recipie on the cookin your catch board. Good luck with the hockey games.

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Todays catch was one for me none for acousticrain but she did use her new ugly stick. Other folks had up to 4 per stinger.

Mackattack

Mackattack
03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah oldschool stoped by with his 16month old(young) fishing buddy(good looking kid). Nice to see you again. Get that kid a pole soon,the bite is on.

Mackattack

ridealong
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Jake,
Is the water full of ducks still? I drive right past there on my way to and from work. Last time I was there it was like duck doooo all over the place........I didnt even know there were fish in there except when the boyscouts do the yearly thing......do you eat the fish you catch out of there???

Mackattack
03-22-2009, 02:05 PM
High ridealong. *Yes duky dodo everywhere you just have to pick a some what clean area. I have yet to eat any(fish that is) they have all been given to friends but they are real clean looking. Acousticrain has eaten some and may give you a better report on cosumption. Not a bad way to spend an hour or two going to and from work. You folks coming to Pyramid in April ?

*Mackattack

ridealong
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
na, we are not going to make the April fest, we no longer have a boat, and if I look hard enough, I am sure there is still sand somewhere either in my camping gear or on my body from the oct fest. That was the coldest 4 days of my life. and to think it was my birthday celebration as well........I am thinking combo birthday trip to Hawaii this year.

I am thinking of actually buying my licence and maybe stopping by on my way home from work. My step son fishes every weekend at lake chabot, but I was thinking of telling his dad about this cement pond, and maybe one evening after work they can meet up there. Nicco is always game for a new place to fish.

I use to pick my daughter up there at that park from her summer day camp, we use to dodge the duck poooie and watch people fish. funny, I drive by there everyday and had not thought about the fishing there.
what about that other pond behind the cement pond, do they fish out of that one? the one that looks more natural???

Mackattack
03-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Wild life habitat dont fish there,off limits

Mackattack

acousticrain
03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
I went to the pond yesterday around 5, was very windy and cold..didn't get any bites but there was a guy that caught a trout and cat on the north end of the building.

Ridealong, I did eat the trout from the pond, fried it up in butter and it was just delicious. I dont eat trout often so I don't really know the difference from that trout and trout u catch from the stream, but I figure since these ones are from a hatchery it can't be any different. You should check it out for sure sometime, its definately enjoyable just being out there.

ridealong
03-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I think it would be a C & R pond for me. I am thinking about stopping, now that it MIGHT be warming up, and it stay's lighter longer. Might be a good stop between work and home..........

I will be sure to let you know when I go so we can meet up!!

Steph

ridealong
03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Wild life habitat dont fish there,off limits

*Mackattack

ahh the one that looks like a good place to fish, figures its off limits. but its good to have a habitat.........glad I asked.......

Mackattack
03-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Well the wife says she wants catch a whopper so off to the pond we go tonight.

Mackattack

ridealong
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
OHh dang, I would stop by and say hi if I didnt have to drive my happy A** to Napa to go see my daughter........

Maybe next time.........tell your wife ( sorry I have forgotten her name) that I said hello!!

Hope to see you guys out there soon.......