PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Trout Bait

hunkfisher
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
So I was killing an hour while the truck was getting a look over and I scoot over to my local Wal Mart, head back into the fishing department and stumble upon a Berkley trout hatchery formula floating bait, its brown and shaped like the nuggets you pay a quarter for at the hatchery, now I gotta ask has anyone used or had success with them cause Ive never seen em or used em but hey I bought em! Going to try it at Amador on Thursday and Camanche on Friday. Thanks for any input guys/gals

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi ! Brad
I've used the power nuggets before. Preformed PB. Is that what your talking about or something differrent ?

Mackattack

hunkfisher
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Mack-No I've used those before think I have a can left in my tackle box just never bring it. Here's a pic of what I bought......

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/troutbait-1.jpg

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Mackattack
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Like they need to give you an advantage anyway guy. You rock on the catch list in my books. Good luck and i'll get some too. See you on the water soon.

Mackattack

Captain Compassion
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Once I got some of the feed from the dispenser at Hot Creek Hatchery. I crushed it up and covered Powerbait with the powder. It didn't seem to work. :( Let me know how the stuff works. Until then I'll stay with the green Gulp. :)

CC

fat_fish
03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
you'll kill em @ amador is my guess.

ff

YakMotor
03-18-2009, 01:44 AM
This is what they plump 'em up with at Amador ...
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7663/amabowfoodcu822nw3.jpg

... that and straight oxygen ... from a "bong" of course! *:D

steveo79
03-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Looks like your matching the hatch.... ;)

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Well if they dont work I also went by Big 5 and picked up some much need Gulp. Fully loaded and ready to go, darn paper for one of my senior classes is getting in the way right now the weather looks fantastic out right now!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

jyang
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I've used Berkley trout hatchery formula few years ago. I did catch trout on it. Also the nugget size is little too small for me. I would smash two nuggets together to put it on the hook. But would I buy another pack? No. I do better with Berkeley Power Eggs. Just my 2 cents.... :)

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I agree with all of you on better tried and true tactics ( ive actually done the pea gravel many times at amador, silver and caples works pretty darn good) but I saw it figured I would ask if any sniffers used it, we have lookslike we've caught fish on it too, I am willing to give it a shot, don't worry guys I'll bring more bait ;D ;D ;D.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Once I got some of the feed from the dispenser at Hot Creek Hatchery. I crushed it up and covered Powerbait with the powder. It didn't seem to work. :( Let me know how the stuff works. Until then I'll stay with the green Gulp. :)

CC

CC that might have sunk the Powerbait I know I've put a size bigger hook than i usually use and the hook went right to the bottom, didnt know it tell my buddies caught more than me and I tossed it in the water before I casted one time, just a thought knowing your wise A$$ you probably had that factored in ;).

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
This is what they plump 'em up with at Amador ...
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7663/amabowfoodcu822nw3.jpg

... that and straight oxygen ... from a "bong" of course! *:D

Those fish would fit in well up at Humboldt State *

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Actually looking at Sec. 1.32, sound and gravel used to produce the sound are illegal chum. Delete my posts if inappropriate. Still funny though.

:oWOW I would have never guessed that, well scratch that off the tactics list.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Never
03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Dumb planters will eat the pea gravel probably!
I haven't seen that kind of bait in sacramento anywhere!
Where is your local wallymart?

FisherForLife
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, i bought the same hatchery formula stuff thinking it would be a great improvement over rainbow powerbait. I still got bites, but i'd guess only about 25% of the normal amount of bites. And i kept trying it over a 3 month period so it's not just from one day. Now i have 3/4s of the bag just laying around. Probably gonna toss it soon. Can't see myself using it anymore unless i somehow run out of powerbait. I doubt these hatchery fish have a preference over what they eat, or even a memory lasting more than a few days. Personally i've seen them bite any and every thing you throw at them.

crippled
03-18-2009, 05:05 PM
is there a diffrence between powerbait and gulp? they both are doughs, both made by berkley, and both come in almost the same colors?

hunkfisher
03-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Gulp was created for asian markets, its more biodegradable than powerbait(required for those countries I guess?) and has more amino chains in it as well that mimic feeding responses in trout, bass etc. I do know one this Gulp works a heck of a lot better, That hatchery formula stuff I bought may or may not work ill find out tomorrow morning!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

crippled
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
let us know after you give it a whirl. good luck.......

Captain Compassion
03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
is there a diffrence between powerbait and gulp?

About $2.00 a jar. :o ;D I started using the stuff two years ago and I get many more bites than with Powerbait. It has two minor drawbacks. Gulp doesn't float as well as Powerbait nor does it stay on the hook as well. Make sure that you soak the bait on the hook for 30 seconds before you throw it out and make sure your bait is floating. I'll never use Powerbait again. ;)

CC

cgagex3
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Green gulp, especially the one with the bits of garlic. I'm with you CC, I know that as much as I prefer a catch on my trusty gold little cleo over bait any day, if I had to pick one bait to fish with that would be the one. Followed not to far behind by white power eggs.
Yes it needs a little more care than PB, but with the results that you and I have seen it is well worth the extra care and the $2.

CG

shadbuster
03-18-2009, 09:31 PM

I know its not to close to Sacramento but I've seen it for sell at bass pro in Manteca. Was thinking about getting it but decided against it, let us know how well it works.

FisherForLife
03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Nearest to sacramento that sells it would probably be in rocklin at Sportsman's Warehouse. Or actually i also saw it in Sports Authority which is on manzanita i believe? Never seen it at wal mart. You could try Big5. There's a chance they carry it.

hunkfisher
03-19-2009, 03:32 AM

I know its not to close to Sacramento but I've seen it for sell at bass pro in Manteca. Was thinking about getting it but decided against it, let us know how well it works.

Jackson is my local wallyworld, we either have that stuff up there cause it works or were just so far behind the rest of the world ;D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Cosmic_Benji
03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Just a thought. Though not legal in many states, maybe this product was intended as "chum". If it floats, then that might not be as effective, but if it slowly sinks after it gets soaked, then maybe that's its MOST effective intended use. You're right though, it DOES look almost exactly like what you can throw handfuls of out at the hatcheries.