PDA

View Full Version : Lakes around Jackson Med...

Ugbomb
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Ok. I have been google earthing the heck out of Jackson Meadows Res. I know there are all kinds of lakes around Jackson within driving distance. For instance.... Webber Lake, Sawmill Lake, Bowman Lake, Faucherie Lake, McMurray Lake, Penner Lake, Middle Lindsey Lake, Lower Linsey Lake, Feely Lake, Carr Lake, Sanford Lake, (THIS AREA IS A GOLD MINE) :o :o French Lake, Meadow Lake, etc. has anyone been to these? And whats in them. I now think this is my favorite place in CALI! In the middle of freaking nowhere! Tons of lakes. I just am curious. What do I have to worry bout... what type of ride I need to get there? Has anyone been there? I WANT TO MOVE THERE! heheheh Do I have to worry bout bears or Bigfoot? heheheh

Thanks Boyz!

Ugs

johnbfishin
03-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Ugbomb, sometimes half of the adventure is finding out for yourself what is there. You can spend an entire summer and then some exploring the areas you just mentioned, so how can it be written in one post? Just go and have fun exploring.

Oh and bears? Only if you have food in your camp. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

GOLDENTROUT
03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Cutthroats in some, brookies, rainbows and browns in some and nothing in others. Some you can troll, some no motors gas or elec. 4wd For some, extreme 4wd for some and two wheel drive for the rest. Some (Webber) you will have to pay, its private. There is also catfish lake and its full of tiny bullhead cats. And yes bears can be a problem in this area, just keep food put away or at Jackson use the bear locker. I did grow up fishing and still every summer fish this area, and like JohnB said just go and check it out. You'll find some cool stuff, just check the regs before you fish. On google earth look a little north/west from Jackson Meadows and you'll find more lakes. Some big fish live in them ;)
Tight lines GT.

Mr_Ed
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Regs are needed since some waters are artificial,barbless and some are C&R only !!

Might call the Forest service for some info on the lakes,they can
help out if you talk to the right person.

With the new snow today, you have some time to get data,before you can get in to this area.

dboucree
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Ug, if you like this area, i like you. My favorite area too. so much to see, so little time. If you have a truck or car with good clearence explore this area. dirtbike or quad if you can. Bowman lake has an old gold mine that i always visit. there are pictures online of miners more then 100 years ago battling those mountains. google Henry W. Hartley. very interesting. contact me if you have questions on a certain lake. dboucree

Also gold lake area is amazing too. sardine lake was a hotspot over summer (but shhhh), tons of brookies and ranbows! feather river even blessed me with a 4lb brown

Ugbomb
03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
The thing is I cant just go and explore. I have a woman who is not into the whole roughin it thing. I just wanted some favorites. So I don't have to run around for a week. Well.........Webber is on the way. So whats in there? And does anyone know how to target bullheads? :(

johnbfishin
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
The thing is I cant just go and explore. I have a woman who is not into the whole roughin it thing.

Well that changes things alright, so what are the requirements? Piped water, flush toilets or vaulted......are none at all ok?

hellbent
03-10-2009, 03:40 AM
The thing is I cant just go and explore. I have a woman who is not into the whole roughin it thing.

who says she has to go- take a buddy and just spend a day messing around with a map ;)

There is no sustitute for time spent exploring- I have spent many a day just crusing around and trying new stuff- throw a bag in the back and sleep on the ground this way you can find your own favorites!

trbergen
03-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Just past the Jackson Meadows darn, down a dirt road and accessible to most vehicles when clear of snow, is little Milton reservoir, which is a beautiful wild trout lake with special regulations, but holds nice rainbow and brown trout, and is fed by the middle fork of the Yuba river. You will be hard pressed to find a prettier lake, and you could walk all the way around it in about an hour. I hear there are 20+" inch browns, as well as nice rainbows. This is always one of my favorite stops when in the Jackson Meadows area.

NorCal_OC
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Ugbomb,

I have spent many days in that country and like said before, you just need to go and explore. Of all the lakes, Jackson Meadows is one of my favorites, but if your looking for more there is plenty. Alot of the area is designated wilderness and no motorized vehicles allowed-get a Tahoe National Forest map. Otherwise almost all those lakes have fish, even the ones without roads going to them. For beauty-5 lakes basin, for camping then Bowman, JM, or Webber.

As for exploring: you can always camp at a domesticated camp ground, make it your home base and explore from there.

For the bullheads: they are small in those lakes, usually about 6". Just toss out a worm and you'll get plenty.

Zebco Kid
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Ugbomb,

I can't speak to the fishing, but Faucherie Lake is without a doubt one of the most beautiful drive-to lakes I have ever been to. My wife, dog and I canoe camped there. Very special. A night sky that was so thick with stars that I couldn't find the easy to find constellations. As was mentioned on other posts, a good 4-wheel drive is essential, as you'll be traveling along roads that were formerly used for logging. This is no place for a low wheel base or faux outdoor vehicles.

DG

Ugbomb
03-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Just past the Jackson Meadows darn, down a dirt road and accessible to most vehicles when clear of snow, is little Milton reservoir, which is a beautiful wild trout lake with special regulations, but holds nice rainbow and brown trout, and is fed by the middle fork of the Yuba river. You will be hard pressed to find a prettier lake, and you could walk all the way around it in about an hour. I hear there are 20+" inch browns, as well as nice rainbows. This is always one of my favorite stops when in the Jackson Meadows area.

Gonna Have to check it out! Thats what Im talkin bout. I WILL CHECK IT OUT!

dinos marine
03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
yeah. gold lakes basin area. very good fishing, good food close buy, piped water, cabins on the lake, good bakery at graegle. nice place, lots of fish less restrictions. take a look at that area as well. you can fish most of the lakes in a week,