PDA

View Full Version : newbie to california

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Hello all im a newbie to california, Im from the east coast orig i have fished all my life as i was raised on a lake in maine...I had a question about trolling equipment for trout here in california im used to using spinning equipment for trolling trout i have a 15ft old town canoe with a min kotta endura trolling motor i was wondering if i should get a trolling outfit or if spinning equipment will do any replies would be greatly appreciated.. :)

03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Welcome to Cali. As far as which set up there will be a diferece of opinons but I prefer baitcasting set ups do to using downriggers and there just simple to use.

If you need any help on lake info feel free to PM me.

2sanchezs
03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
powerbaitfan

I me be the first to say "Welcome to the boards" I'm assuming that you would like to troll for trout in this great beautiful state of ours. Spinning gear will work fine for trollin, I prefer level wind. Trolling with blades and crawlers or Rapalas or needlefish, lots of options and you will have a great group of guy's and gal's that will have great info for you...Stay tuned.See you on the water.

trollin4life 8-)

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks so much for the info kyle as being new here i really dont know many places yet i live in roseville so im really open to anything thanks again

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks trollin its so awesome that so many people enjoy sharing tips about fishing and being on the water somone like myself who has fishing in there blood i kinda feel lost right now so all the info i can get is greatly appreciated

johnbfishin
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the boards PBF.

There's a ton of info scattered throughout the different boards here as well as some great reading from the Red Menu board in the top left corner of the home page.
Folks are usually almost always ;) ready to help with questions so feel free.

Captain Compassion
03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the Sniffer PBF and welcome to the area. I would say it depends on what you want to troll for. A trolling outfit would almost be mandatory on big waters for big fish such as Macks at Tahoe where you are trolling at depths of near 300 feet deep with down riggers. For the high mountain lakes spinning gear is more than adequate especially when top lining. I often use leadcore when I want to get down to around 30 feet in the summer. It may seem a little old school but it is quite sucessful in certain situations.

CC

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Im kinda limited to the big lakes captain i only have a 15ft canoe at the moment but i will make the best of it and thanks so much for your advice and knowledge its greatly appreciated

Captain Compassion
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm unsure where you located but once the ice goes there are many Central Sierra lakes where your rig would be effective. Look at the posts from last summer and fall on the trout board.

CC

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 08:54 PM
i have a rv that my family and i hope to do alot camping in the tahoe truckee area this year ive heard a little about stampede and jackson i have just heard theres some really nice trout but any info i can find will be awesome thanks so much for your help captain...kevin

johnbfishin
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Im kinda limited to the big lakes captain i only have a 15ft canoe at the moment *but i will make the best of it and thanks so much for your advice and knowledge its greatly appreciated

There's lots of lakes and impounds on the west slope that are perfect for a canoe. From Roseville 1-1/2 drive and you'll have lots of options during the Spring and Summer. Since you are new to the State I would suggest getting both a Tahoe and an Eldorado National Forest map.

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
i meant jackson meadow see im new my wife told me theres more than one jackson lol

metroutfanatic
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks johnb i will def have to do that thank u

Captain Compassion
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Man are you ever in for a treat. I fish the area south of Tahoe along Highway 88 and down US 395 in eastern California. The whole area is perhaps the most beautiful in the US. You can spend the rest of your life and never sample all the opportunities that are available to you. There is a book that you can get that may help you. It's called "California Fishing" by Tom Stienstra and it is published by Foghorn Press. It details over 1,200 California fishing locations with maps and tips. Lots in the area where you want to fish. Ask lots of questions and read older posts on the Sniffer. Get some good maps. Again welcome.

CC

dinos marine
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
welcome pbf,
i troll with spinning gear. as long as you have some good swivels i think spinning rods/reels are ok. i troll grubs, rapalas, small spoons. i have 5foot rods, braided line, and floro leader.
listen to the captain, he knows his stuff. i agree that the 88 corridor offers some great fishing. woods and red lake are nice small lakes for canoes, sometimes silver and caples (watch out for the wind). the rivers in the area are pretty good as well.
fallen leaf can be a good lake, as donner. good luck and now you gotta get some stars for that canoe!

Never
03-04-2009, 12:07 AM
closest would be Folsom lake get out there before the jet skiers and wakeboats realize they can go fast out there. If you go to rattlesnake bar you can go up about a mile and be in a 5mph zone, and kind of stay out of the wind. You can drive right down to the water to launch.
It's about 15 mi north of Douglas on auburn/Folsom rd.

I use a spinning rod 6# test with a dodger and crawler or powerworm 18"-24" leader.
If it's sunny and the water is calm I'll put a 3/8 egg weight in front of the dodger.

metroutfanatic
03-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the info u are all awesome i look forward to hopefully meeting some of u and good luck on the water :)

rudy_divin
03-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Powerbait fan,

I live in Rocklin just a stone throw away from Roseville. I have fished this area for 30 years and could show you around if needed. There are about 20 different places to fish for trout within 40 min of Rocklin/Roseville. Send me a pm for any local info. We will be going ice fishing sometime this week at Boca . Its about 80 miles up i80. Yep we have ice fishing less than 1 1/2 hrs away! Welcome to the Boards.

Fishdogg 8-)

Mackattack
03-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Welcome pbf,as others hace said there are hundreds of places to fish near you. Enjoy

*Mackattack