PDA

View Full Version : Rockies!

Freshwater_J
08-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Hey fellow anglers! Have a question for you!
I recently went out in Bodega and landed a fair amount of Rock Cod... Only problem, I don't know how to cook these buggers. Anyone have any ideas? Something simple an tastey? I hope to cook it tonight. I would love any suggestions.. Thank you! ;D

memebop
08-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Simple and tastey?

How about egg stirred up with salt and pepper added.

Have a flat plate with some bread crumbs (or spicy breadcrums for extra flavor).* *

Coat the filets in egg, flip them into the breadcrums and fry on a hot skillet with light oil or margarin until done.

That is only a minute or so per side.* The sides should be golden brown and the meat will flake right off when you poke it with a fork.

Yum yum, have fun!

Bartender
08-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Yup, no better way.

żżż
08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
When they're fresh I like 'em steamed whole with ginger, soy, green onions, cilantro, and doused with piping hot garlic oil.

Off_The_Hook
08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
My wife mixes up flour and Pappy's seasoning, then fries them in a little olive oil about 3 minutes a side. That is my favorite way. Or, you can just wrap them up in aluminum foil and throw them on the BBQ for 10 minutes or so. Great for fish tacos.

slick88
08-17-2009, 07:14 AM
When they're fresh I like 'em steamed whole with ginger, soy, green onions, cilantro, and doused with piping hot garlic oil.

I'm with Mooch on this one. You can do it to fillets, but it's best to just scale & gut the rockfish and steam them whole. No waste that way, and the cheeks and meat right behind the head are the best parts.

Steaming this way is also good for stripers and lingcod too, but they will have to be cut into smaller chunks, of course.

Farrier_Frank
08-17-2009, 08:15 AM
The above cooking advice is great, I love both methods, but I don't think there is a bad way to cook rock fish. Cook it anyway your taste or dietary requirements tell you to cook it. The great thing about rockfishing is you usually come home with enough for any number of meals so experiment. Even if you manage to blow it in the kitchen the cat will be happy. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

Freshwater_J
08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys!