PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Stunted Tails on Big Trout?

smokie
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I've seen pic after pic of big planted trout with stunted tails. What's with that? It seems like only the 4lb+ fish have 'em. Does not look very appealing.

NorCal2500HD
03-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I think it might be from the hatchery clipping the trouts tails....

kokaneekid
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
It's a new strain of trout there called Western roundtail :D

JrF ;)

johnbfishin
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
It has to do with the feed at the hatchery, there isn't sufficient nutrients to allow for full tail and fin growth. The large trout have been brood stock, obviously they have been in a hatchery longer so it's more pronounced.
I've seen fresh planters up to about 16" with full tails and pink meat, I believe this is due to a higher quality of food. With the cut backs I doubt we'll be seeing many more of these.

2sanchezs
03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Pen Raised, they don't have enough room to grow. Or they don't need to grow normal size tails because thier Pen Raised. The planters that F&G plant have more of a tail because thier raised in bigger Hatchery type Pens and thier not feed as much as the private raiser's do.

trollin4life 8-)

Troutoholic
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I have asked this question to many anglers and DF&G wardens and have heard all these answers posted above. Can't say one is right or wrong but the latest answer i was told by a customer who was a Warden said it was due to the pen. He claimed they also rub against the cement walls of the pens but who knows.... Tight Lines- TK 8-)

untalan1
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey jerks r free, I think the new strain is called the western no tail.

johnbfishin
03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
He claimed they also rub against the cement walls of the pens but who knows.... Tight Lines- TK 8-)

I think there is some truth to that as well, I also wonder about the fish nibbling at each others tails at feeding time.
I haven't heard about the pens causing rounded tails but it would follow the same logic as the raceways.

stonesfan
03-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I've seen pic after pic of big planted trout with stunted tails. What's with that? It seems like only the 4lb+ fish have 'em. Does not look very appealing

smokie, the only thing I see a-peeling about those Big Brood Stock
Trout is the 8lb Cajun Red Line from my Abu Garcia 4600c........ ;D

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

Troutoholic
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
the only thing I see a-peeling about those Big Brood Stock
Trout is the 8lb Cajun Red Line from my Abu Garcia 4600c........ ;D

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

hahaha sweeeeet 8-)