PDA

View Full Version : How to know the natural food in a lake?

916towerguy
02-26-2009, 09:42 PM
I know it is important to know the natural food in any given lake. So how do you find out what the natural food is?

fishable_waters
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
check the organic isle!!! ;D

Ugbomb
02-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Catch some fish..... Then check the stomach contents. In Jackson Meadows Res. I cleaned a trout and there was this BIG grey minnow type thing in its stomach. Then I kept tossing out silver minnow imitations and had a great day slamming the trout! ;)

deep_troller
02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
get a sticky fly trap that hangs down. kind you use in a house. put it from a bush or limb. great idea right

Ikan_Mas
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Ugbomb is right. *Check the stomach contents of whatever you may happen to catch. *It can give you insight into whats there. Also, check the sniffer board for what people have been catching on lately and keep your eyes open for hints while you are begin to fish.

Example. *I was at Los Vaqueros last Friday. *Threw a white beatle spin (a bass lure) and caught a small trout. *Hmmm, you occasionally catch a trout on a beatle spin, but maybe only one a day. *Lots of work for little reward. *What are the fish telling me? *Oh! *I read on the sniffer that some guys the week before had been trolling at LV and the trout they caught had white minnows in their bellies. *I happen to know that these are Delta Smelt, a really common forage fish in this lake. *Yes, the holdovers are feeding on Delta Smelt! *So I put on a small, white and reflective silver spoon, about the size of a Delta Smelt or my little finger, that I happened to have bought recently. *Works pretty good and I catch 5-6 more, losing a couple over the next 4 hours. *Not bad for a day that wasn't supposed to be good by the moon. *Now I'm taking a few other old scrap spoons that have lost their finish, and repainting them to match the lure I had bought. *They will each have different action and we'll see which works best.

You can see the thought process here. *Keep your eyes and ears open and look for clues. You will become a much better fisherman that way. ;)

Mackattack
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Great reply Ikan_Mas Very good info.

Mackattack

916towerguy
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Ok kinda what I thought not really any written info on each lake.

Ikan_Mas
02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Good point. *Perhaps we could get together a compilation of what the typical bait fish is in any given CA lake. *Most everyone knows what is in their home lake and it would bennefit those travelling to new lakes (gee, do I take the white ones for Delta Smelt or the green ones for Tui Chub?). *

So, I'll start:

* *Los Vaqueros: *Delta Smelt
* *Salt Springs Reservoir: *Tui Chub (large) and Lahontan Resides * (small)
* *Pyramid Lake: *Tui Chub

OK. *There's 3. *I would like to know what the bait is in Padee (beside Kokanee) myself.

Trailin it: *What lake are you looking at?

shon42073
02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I think it is safe to assume most of our lakes at mid to low elevation have threadfin shad.

Ikan_Mas
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Threadfin Shad:

Like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/orangputeh/Threadfin-Shad.jpg

Looks like many bass lures. So you would find them in say Cammanche, Pardee, New Melones, etc.?