PDA

View Full Version : Words of wisdom for San Pablo Reservoir Opener?

Zebco Kid
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Hello All,

I'm going to brave the crowds at San Pablo Reservoir for the opener. Any words of wisdom?

DG

fishmaster
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Throw lots of patience in your tackle box. You will need it for the long, long line.

Anybody know anything about the water clarity?
Usually heavy rain like we just had will stain up the water pretty good and if my memory serves me right, takes quite awhile to clear. Best of luck to you! Let us know how you do.

stonesfan
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
DG, San Pablo was once one of my Favorite lakes to Fish, but it's
been years since I've been back, Please do Report.............. ;)

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

dinos marine
02-27-2009, 12:06 AM
dg,
ditto. i used to fish the dam everyday til i had kids. havnt been there in almost 18 years. let us know how the fishing is.

Zebco Kid
02-27-2009, 05:00 AM
I read an article about the lake, which named particularly productive areas. I checked the maps on this website, but there is no map of San Pablo Reservoir. Anyone have a link to a map that names the areas (coves, points, etc.).

Thanks.

DG

ps...on a side note, I really wanted to be at Del Valle, but I simply can't take the turn-away one more time. To that end, I'm pre-inspected at San Pablo.

gmdcdvm
02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Any advice for a San Pabloe newbie...I'm off next week and thinking of checking it out. I'll be fishing from shore with my dog in tow.
G

Zebco Kid
02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Hey El Jefe Chingon,

Tough dog restrictions at San Pablo. They don't let them on the water in a boat. I don't think they'll let them on the shore either. Call before you have to leave yours couped up in your car.

I always fish with mine, but must leave her at home. It's almost not worth going for that reason. But...I need to catch some fish after a long winter!

DG

The Reel Deal
02-27-2009, 07:17 AM
how is the water level at San Pablo? I heard that is has been real low the last few years. I have not fished that lake in over 10 years, i used to go all the time.

also, its the inspection band at Del Valle good for San Pablo and vice versa?

mwcoleman
02-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Here's an article from yesredays sf gate. It might help. Good luck.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/26/SPCR164184.DTL&hw=san+pablo+reservoir&sn=001&sc=10 00

DazShooter
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
2 foot visability.......bring plenty of stink juice.

fishon_gethenet
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
For awhile there I fished SP pretty regularly. This was at least 4-5 years ago. If you fish from shore try to fish over by the concession area. For whatever reason, there always seems to be more fish caught on that side of the reservoir. Use Powerbait..I think the green Powerbait with sparkles in it was the ticket back then..

If you have access to a boat go over to Scow Canyon and fish from the shore. Scow is located directly across from concession area (where you can rent boats)..the season opener tends to be hit or miss. We fished the opener one year and didn't get a single bite? Not even a nibble. A few weeks later we went back and got limits.

Good luck -

troutslayer05
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
We used to bring my dog to San Pablo all the time! There was plenty of space on the shorline and that huge grassy area. I havnt been there in years but it used to be a prety good lake. That cove across from the marina used to be pretty hot.

Old_School
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
its the inspection band at Del Valle good for San Pablo and vice versa?

I posted this question a week ago and got no responds.

I did see a sign at Del Valle saying they accept EBMUD tags, so DG or anyone else dont forget the tag when you leave and it should get you past the Del Valle inspection.

As far as EBMUD lakes accepting EBRPD tags that is still my ananswered question.

Good luck to whom ever goes.

Blktailhunter
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a feeling the fishing will be good, but the catching will be terrible. *San Pablo is on the no stock list thanks to the Center for Biological Diversity which sued to have trout stocking halted to protect a tadpole. * It will not be stocked with trout for the foreseeable future.

No stocks

Notable lakes and streams that will not be stocked in the future include (north to south):

Bay-Delta region: Contra Costa County: Lafayette Res., San Pablo Res.; Marin County: Alpine Lake, Bon Tempe Res., Lagunitas Lake; Napa County: Lake Hennessey; Santa Clara County: Cottonwood Lake, Coyote Res., Lexington Res., Stevens Creek Res.; Santa Cruz County: Loch Lomond Res.; Solano County: Putah Creek, Lake Solano.

Silver_Hilton
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
It won't be stocked by DFG, but it will be stocked by the concessionaire/operator.

http://www.norcalfishing.com/san_pablo/index.php

Mackattack
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Just called San Pablo Dam Res. and yes you can bring your dog for 2$ but has to be on a leash at all times and 50ft away from the water and they did stock either today or yesterday 4,600 lbs of trout. So no dogs on boats and it would be hard pressed to find a place to fish other than the lawn area at the main rec. or the launch area with your pup left in the truck. Good luck.

Mackattack

Zebco Kid
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Old School,

I called Del Valle immediately after getting my band at San Pablo, as I'd rather be at Del Valle. The guy who answered the phone said they won't accept the San Pablo band.

Ugh!

DG

its the inspection band at Del Valle good for San Pablo and vice versa?

I posted this question a week ago and got no responds.

I did see a sign at Del Valle saying they accept EBMUD tags, so DG or anyone else dont forget the tag when you leave and it should get you past the Del Valle inspection.

As far as EBMUD lakes accepting EBRPD tags that is still my ananswered question.

Good luck to whom ever goes. *

wcslingers
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
My words of wisdom is DONT GO lol. Ive been to 3 openers and 1 fish to show for it. To many people fishing. Id wait a few weeks.

gmdcdvm
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Sounds like some strict dog rules. Maybe I'll go alone. Either way I wont be checking it out until either Monday or Tues.
G