PDA

View Full Version : Pardee bank fishing rookie questions + reports

bobcatken
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Tomorrow it looks like it's going to be dry so I think I'm going to try my luck bank fishing at Pardee. *I was planning to visit Amador but I've been reading the exciting reports and it looks like I have a decent chance of catching fish there. *This will be my first ever trip to Pardee.

How far do I have to walk from the parking area to reach the water? *I'd rather not walk too far in the mud. *Last time I walked in the mud and slipped and hurt myself (and my pride). *

Any bank fishing tips for Pardee?

I promise to file a report with pics. *A pet peeve of mine is when people ask for help here but we never get to hear how they did. * :-?

thanks in advance!

stonesfan
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
You go get'em BobcatKen......................................... ..... ;D

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

Jonezin2fish
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Ken there are a number of hot spots from the spots next to the ramp all the way around to the spillway dam. There's small parking lot before you get to the dam that will give you short walking access to a lot of shore. Areas around the peninsula where the boathouse is have been producing trout and bass. Chartruese and white have been doing well. So do Wooly Boogers behind a adjustable bobber work too. Good luck!

jopes
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I am headed off there for my second trip. my first trip was on friday the 13th, and well either it was just not my day but the trout bite was definatly off on the banks.

I hope with the passing of all this rain they have gotten a little more hungry. :)

bobcatken
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's trip. The news's weather report indicated there might be dense ground fog. I hope not. :P

fat_fish
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
don't get discouraged if it's foggy...it'll keep the morning bite going longer. good luck and report back please.

ff

DuxUnlimtd
02-18-2009, 12:42 AM
I was there today (2-17) and me and my cousin fished off of Rainbow Point and were done by 12:30. *Plenty of time for sandwiches and soda afterwards. *The bite really picked up after 10. *Good luck.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7209/l054cffb49c0e4d1d9e988cyr7.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l054cffb49c0e4d1d9e988cyr7.jpg)

NorCal2500HD
02-18-2009, 01:23 AM
nice fish dux.....

DuxUnlimtd
02-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Thank you. We had a blast, even though it was rainy, cold and wet. :D

Mr_Ed
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
You will up your odds getting more bites with the smallest test you feel safe with. 8 & 10 pound is ok for your main lines but you need
lighter leaders.

In clear water I go with 4 pound and a light drag and small hooks.

montev
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I was there today (2-17) and me and my cousin fished off of Rainbow Point and were done by 12:30. *Plenty of time for sandwiches and soda afterwards. *The bite really picked up after 10. *Good luck.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7209/l054cffb49c0e4d1d9e988cyr7.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l054cffb49c0e4d1d9e988cyr7.jpg)

Nice fish Dux! How big was the big one? We are thinking of going on Friday. We were going to take the boat, but with your success from the bank, don't know if it's needed. Did you see many boats out and if so, how were they doing? How was the water clarity for trolling? What did you catch em on?

Thanks...and good goin' on the 'catchin'...

fat_fish
02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
nice work DU-that big-un sure makes the others look small.

ff

sollimes
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I'll be banking out there tomorrow.

DuxUnlimtd
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice fish Dux! How big was the big one? We are thinking of going on Friday. We were going to take the boat, but with your success from the bank, don't know if it's needed. Did you see many boats out and if so, how were they doing? How was the water clarity for trolling? What did you catch em on?

Thanks...and good goin' on the 'catchin'...

5.5 lbs. * The only boat that went out while I was there were four younger guys about my age. *They had two poles between them in a boat that was about 12'. *Not smart with the white-caps we were seeing. *I doubt fishing was their main priority, if you know what I mean.. * ::)

There were only about 6 people there all day until we took off at 1. *The water was stained at the shore about 6' out. *Mostly from the bank runoff. *Not bad towards the center. *

1 on a Kastmaster. *1 on Powerbait. *8 on Chartreuse Powerworms. *Stuff was like candy. *Definately the preferred bait for em. *We would have been done sooner but my cousin was missing missing fish left and right. * A much more pleasurable trip than on the opener. *We almost went to Amador, but I wasn't willing to traverse the steep mudslick banks there. *Surfing mud isn't a pleasurable pasttime of mine. *;D *

Jonezin2fish
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Nice Job Dux. Hope the info helped, That's what I used to use when I banked that point. Anything Chartruese, White or sometimes Orange would work.

PapaGreg
02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
:)Hit it today for two limits, near the launch ramp, power eggs, power bait and nightcrawlers all worked, they didn't want anything to do with hardware, but one guy near us was doing okay with a wooly bugger.

Dux-NICE fish!

Bobcatken, did you make it out today?

catcheatrelease
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
any size pgreg?

PapaGreg
02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
:)Not really, a little bigger than pan-size, but a lot of fun!

Had one that might go 2lbs, the rest were all around 1 to 1and a half lbs.

The guy fishing the wooly bugger had one break him off close to shore, he said it was close to 5 lbs, but I didn't see it.
I know they have put some big fish in there early.

Might hit it again tommorrow, was going to try Melones, but haven't heard any reports from there, so we may repeat tommorrow.

montev
02-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info Dux! I called the marina this afternoon and the lady there said there were boats out today but that she hadn't heard any reports from them yet. Shoot, I'm leaning towards bankin' it after hearing your report and PapaG's report.
Way to go PapaG...sounded like a good day!

fat_fish
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
i found a babysitter so ill be out there tomorrow in my boat will try bankin it too. see ya'll there...i'll be in my 14'er...my 1st time out there. i'm excited, as ive heard many good things about pardee. gonna try raps and crawler/dodger. if things go well, i'll try for some bass as well. who's gonna be out there?

nice work on the 2 limits papagreg.

ff

PapaGreg
02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
:)montev, if you go, they were biting funny today, they would hit the bait, come in with it, and just sit there, if they were still on the line.
A couple times, we thought we missed the bite, and we were reeling in and bam, they were still on the line!

It was a "lite" bite today, not the normal "wham" and they're hooked!

Talked to a guy who is camping there and he fished Rainbow yesterday, said they were just slammin the bait.
Funny how a day and the weather changes things!

Pretty sure we'll be back tommorrow, not sure where, but banking it.

PapaGreg
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
:)fatfish, thanks, if you need help launching or just want to bs, we'll probably have the Chevy p/u, light 3 quarter ton 4x4, Harley decal in the rear window.

You're more than welcome to join us bankin' it, if you want.

P/U color is green.

fat_fish
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
papagreg-i will definately stop by and say hello @ the least...my cousin n i will be out there around 12-12:30. i drive a black dodge nitro.

ff

trackertundra
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
How are you guy's rigging those power worms?

Tracker

jmeds
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a few questions. what time can i drive in to start bank fishing? If i follow the directions to the recreational area is there bank fishing there? how long does it take to reach lake once you get of hwy 99?

Thanks 4 any info.

fool4fish
02-18-2009, 08:20 PM
i was out there last friday/13 with c@fish 101 and only caught one and lost one at the bank. we fished the first point to the right of the launch for a couple of hours with no takers. and neither was anyone else getting anything. then we decided to move but drove around the launch area to see if anyone had any stringers. Nothing. it was a pretty cold and slow day for everyone there. i did discover something that is probably still fairly new for pardee since it has just opened....GARBAGE!!
After we moved we drove to the campgrounds and hiked down to the lake and thats where we caught our fish. there was two other guys there also fishing to the right and they pulled in 3-4 fish. But back to the garbage....when you make it down to the lake, there is a beautiful stream emptying into the lake there through some boulders, me and c@fish101 paused to take in the beauty and serenity there, kind of secluded, but not secluded enough for the lake rats to find this spot and leave all there beer bottles, water bottle, snack wrappers, empty bait bottles, plastic bags, all along the shoreline! and whats even more maddening is that there were two garbage cans right above, maybe 15' away where they could of thrown this garbage away.
i was prettty disgusted and ashamed of my fellow human beings who have not been taught how to be responsible and to care about our environment. i did pick it all up of course but left there with a dis-hearted feeling that what i see at amador, the rivers, is now going to start at pardee!! Enough to make you cry.

bobcatken
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and tips last night. *I did spend much of the day at Pardee and ended up taking home 3 trout that weighed 3 pounds total. *Nothing spectacular but fish were clean, free of sores, hard fighting, and had pretty decent tails. *I fished several spots on the Rainbow Point area until I got to a spot where the fish were biting on real and artificial worms. *Lots of soft bites and nibbles. *What surprised me was how the power egg/power worm combo got more bites than my inflated nightcrawler bait. * Usually my nightcrawlers outfish any of my artificial baits. *

Highlight of the day was meeting fellow Sniffer Jopes. *Hes a cool, laid back guy. *Great meeting you today!

Beautiful weather
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2809/img0450cropyj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4638/img0454cropir9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sniffer Jopes and his ultralight rod at work
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6075/img0446cropyc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3160/img0449crople3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

My first Pardee fish *;D
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1074/img0444cropru2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Overall it was a good first trip to Pardee. *This Pardee rookie will be going back in the future. *Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips! *Sniffers rock!

fat_fish
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
nice report bobcatken-pics to boot...thanks for the tips.

ff

bobcatken
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a few questions. what time can i drive in to start bank fishing? If i follow the directions to the recreational area is there bank fishing there? how long does it take to reach lake once you get of hwy 99?

Thanks 4 any info.

The website indicates the gates open 5 am everyday.

Yes, the recreational area is where I saw all the people bank fishing. *There are multiple parking lots in this main rec area and most are very close to the water. *

www.pardeelakerecreation.com * * for more info

fat_fish
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
also...ant one see the boat inspectors there today?

ff

bobcatken
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
How are you guy's rigging those power worms?

Tracker

Somebody taught me how to rig the power worm today. *There may be several ways but this is what I was shown *First, thread a white power egg just past the hook's eye. *Then hook the worm through the circular end. *Next slide the hook down the center of the worm for about a half inch. *Last, slide the worm all the way up to the eye and leave the hook's point exposed. *The worm should cover much of the hook's shaft and should be straight. *Hope that helps. *

jopes
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
It was good meeting you Ken and having someone to keep me company most of the day. I never did catch another, had some bites but nothing ever really took it. Yet people on both sides of me were still catching. Think the sliding sinker kept grabbing the line and when they bite they would just drop it.

On a side not, DFG walked around and checked everyones catch as well as thier fishing license.

jopes
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
i was out there last friday/13 with c@fish 101 and only caught one and lost one at the bank. *

I was there along with a buddy of mine, the weather was not all bad from 8 am ish till 130 ish when we left. We both only caught 1 each and never did get another bite while we were there.

jmeds
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM

Thanks 4 any info.

The website indicates the gates open 5 am everyday.

Yes, the recreational area is where I saw all the people bank fishing. *There are multiple parking lots in this main rec area and most are very close to the water. *

www.pardeelakerecreation.com * * for more info

thank you. i'll be out there soon.

PapaGreg
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
:)fool4fish, where does a creek enter the lake, are you talking about the culvert near the marina?

Sad to hear about the trash, thanks for picking it up.

Was there today and left with two limits again, power eggs and worms.

fool4fish
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
hey papagreg, we fished the campgrounds. *there is a gate there that leads to a trail that goes down to the lake, nice secluded cove, and its not a creek but just where the water finds it way down to the lake and does flow into some boulders and rocks then into the lake. *very scenic and serene. *i have never used the combination of bait that eveyone seems to using at pardee. *i have never heard of using these power worms with power eggs on the same hook until the day before i left for pardee. *though i did have some green power worms and did buy some white/green power eggs and put them on the same hook. *but only got one bibble and it was very, very light. *i caught the two fish on rainbow pb and i dont know what the other two anglers were using to catch their fish.

when i was a kid some 45 years ago, fishing stevens creek reservoir with my brother and father, there was no power bait, only worms and pautzees green label salmon eggs. *then someone came up with the idea of using small white marshmellows with the salmon eggs to keep the bait floating above the lake bottom. we called this combination a cherry pie. and thats what everybody used. *then there was inflated night crawlers, but the trick was that you needed to know someone who used syringes because you could not get them over the counter. we used to use my dads friends syringes to inflate our crawlers. *he had diabetes and he was a fishing fool like us. *i actually learned this from a Japanese man who showed me this secret art of inflated night-crawlers while fishing at parkway lakes. lol! *

then after the inflated NC came power bait. *just plain yellow. *now we have every color of the rainbow, along with power pellets, power worms, power nuggets, and i am sure there is other stuff as well. *there was a time when my go to bait was a natural bait like night-crawlers, that i could dig up in my back yard at no cost at all! *now i have to pay upwards of $4 to $15 for a various sply of power bait and power worms to be competitive. *looking at this power egg and this power worm on my hook looked so unnatural and fake that i felt like fishing for trout just does not give me the same natural euphoria i used to get when i could rely more on how natural my presentation looked and how i presented it. *its getting to the point where this old dog cant/wont learn new tricks. *
sometimes i long for the simpler times when people really needed to put some effort into their fishing and always picked up after themselves not leaving all their garbage for everyone else to pick up.

PapaGreg
02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
:)fool4fish, this sure is a small world, do you remember when the lodge was still at Stevens creek before it burned down?
They used to rent boats there years ago.
Remember how the old road wound around the creek to get there, before the golf course and the townhouses and such were built?

We used to look forward to opening day there, when if you were late, there was no parking anywhere, including the shoulder of the road!

I remember when there was only park ranger there, real nice guy, it was .25 cents to picnic, can you believe that?

Yeah, the only thing you left out about the bait was velveeta cheese and liver for trout.

Another way to rig those worms and eggs is with a treble hook, put two eggs on and then hook the worm through the middle with the remaining hook, it's been working like crazy for us the last three trips to Pardee.

Where did you go to school?

jopes
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Here is the 3 I had caught on the 18th when I was at Pardee. *

http://www.1ton4x4.com/fishing/Pardee/feb182009.jpg

hunkfisher
02-22-2009, 03:10 PM
People are figuring out that Pardee is a great place to fish, i just dont like how its closed from november to february, however its a great place to fish in the summertime lots of deepwater access out by the woodpile, last year the owners did not put the numbers in like they have this year and in 2007 thins are looking good for this year!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Mackattack
02-22-2009, 10:50 PM
pautzees green label salmon eggs.

One egg or two on a hook with a split shot or two and toss it into the river and bam fish on. Those were the days my friend.

Mackattack

PapaGreg
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
>:(Tough day today, WINDY, rain was hardly a problem at all, only managed two from the bank, moved three times to avoid the wind.
Would have stayed where we started, but had the grandson along and he didn't like the wind.
Ended up at the "mud-hole" and picked-up one fish for fours of trying >:(I did see some fish caught, in fact, I saw four guys limit out, just depended where the fish were holding.

Oh well, it was better than being at work!