PDA

View Full Version : Float tubing Pineflat

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Has anybody float tubed in Pineflat or have you seen others while you are out in your boats. A friend and i are going to go to Pineflat on Sunday with our tubes. I have never had my tube in Pineflat so I am not sure what is the best place to launch to look for trout. Thanks for your help.

ReelJerks
02-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I've been fishing that lake since 1960. Yes I have seen a few....God rest their souls.

Edd

jannwells
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
[smiley=rotfl2.gif]
You got a mean streak Edd.

ReelJerks
02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
No No No. I just mean I don't think it's a safe lake for float-boating. I actually prefer them over lake lice and skiers.

Edd ;)

jannwells
02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Well.....I'm sure "kgphotos" feels much better now Edd, you looking out for his safety and all. [smiley=cheesy.gif]

kg, if you read some of the posts regarding the fishing at the Flat lately, its anybody's guess. I've heard twice now Windy Gap has produced a few trout but if you try to tube or hike to that area Edd is right, have your will in order.
Are you throwing a fly, spin casting or what?
Bf18

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
We will be fly fishing and I don't plan on getting to far from the shore line. I don't want to become a target for boats. I just wanted to find out which launch ramp was closest to the most trout. Thanks.

jannwells
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, most of the trout caught fly fishing this stretch of the Kings river come from either the upper or lower river areas. Most of the trout caught on the lake come from either trolling or bait fishing.

If you are a learned fly fisherman you might want to target some of the trophy hybrid trout in the river below the dam. I understand they are in the 8 lb range.
Check the Fly Fishing board, there are a couple lower Kings knowledgeable people there.
good luck and tight lines. ;)

By the way,,,its a beautiful area this time of year.
Bf18

Ironhead
02-10-2009, 06:03 AM
If I was going to go onto the lake this time of year, I think I would stay in the Deer Creek area. Easy access and protected some. Could be holding some trout in the shallower water right now.

I agree with BF18 on the river. Some great areas to fish.

Ironhead

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks Ironhead, thats what I was looking for.

ReelJerks
02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
.....I think I would stay in the Deer Creek area. Easy access and protected some. Could be holding some trout in the shallower water right now.
Ironhead

Nope! I caught all those Trout about a week and a half ago. Sorry [smiley=fishing1.gif]

Edd

Ironhead
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
.....I think I would stay in the Deer Creek area. Easy access and protected some. Could be holding some trout in the shallower water right now.
Ironhead

Nope! I caught all those Trout about a week and a half ago. Sorry *[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Edd

From the reports coming out of that lake, some body has caught all the trout. Sure it was you? ;D ;) :)

jannwells
02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
kg, what time are you going to be on the lake? I'm thinking about going up sunday myself. Providing the weather isnt to bad.

Bf18

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Don't know for sure yet. Plan on being there early Sunday morning so that we can fish till early afternoon and then head up to the Upper Kings to camp, fish and shoot. Will you be bankin', tubin', or boatn'?

jannwells
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I'll be Boat'n.
Probably launch at Deer Creek. I'll check in with you if I see you.
Check your PM.

Bf18

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks. There will be two of us in green Outcast floattubes

M-hawk
02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
kgphotos,

I have a couple of suggestions from experience.

Before you go to Pine flat, you might consider Avacodo Lake. It is downstream from PF dam on the south side of the Kings River, just "upstream from the community of Tivey Valley. Stocked with rainbows during the winter. The back side of the lake butts up against the C&R section of the Kings River. In that section it is barbless hooks and artificals only.

We Have had good rains lately and Sycamore Creek and Big creek may have decent flows into the lake. These flows attract trout into the coves. The Trimmer Springs Road will take you past Trimmer and then around both of the coves that these creeks form. It may be a real walk down to the lake (and back up) depending on where you park and how high the lake is (low right now). The road comes closer to the water along big Creek than Sycamore (get a topo map to plan). The road is closer to the water on the west side of both coves

Trout enter the mouths of these creeks when there is sufficient flow. The back ends of these coves are protected from wind by the hills, and from boaters by the 5mph markers. The trout can be there even if the creeks are not flowing well.

I would drive around Sycamore to Big Creek and check it out, then decide which has the best cove and water flow, as well as best access at this time. Someone else on the trout thread who has been up there recently could give you an idea about the status of the coves and perhaps even the creek flows.

Good luck

C-hawk

ashtree1
02-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I'll be out there too KG, going to the upper if weather is cool, hope to see you out there, will hit the lower for sure. I was trying out my 8 wt. fly rod on the lake casting getting some practice in, shallow in the back of the lake is your best bet, no pressure back there.

crippled
02-14-2009, 09:04 AM
man if i where you i would just go for it. wear a life jacket and pack really light and hit it up man. you'll never know if you dont try

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys! I will post a report when I get back; good, bad, or ugly!!

Trapper43
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
This is a late reply, but maybe you can use the info. for another trip. I have used my float tube and flyrod in deer creek around the docks. I use a 10' sinktip type 4 line and either an olive or black woollybugger. I have also used that combination drifting with my boat. It generally gets some fish. Hope this helps.

kgphotos@pacbell.n
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks Trapper. A little late is better than never. Just like my report. :D We launched at Deer Creek and fished back in the cove to the left of the marina. Tubed for about four hours and didn't get even one fish. I tried intermediate sink line with an olive bunny hair pattern that I made up(similar to a woolley bugger) and then I switched to a type IV fast sink line with a brown bugger/booby style fly that I like. After four hours we gave up.
I think I would like to try McClure with my tube. Anybody ever float tube there?

Trapper43
02-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Those stocked trout might be moving up the lake fairly quick after being planted. If you can find out the day they plant then float tube, you should do very well.