PDA

View Full Version : New to site...Del Valle???

Fishin510
01-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to posting on this site, but have been reading it for a while now. You guys all give great information.

Been out a few times this year already, but nothing to show for it yet. :-/
Have fished the shore at Quarry, Shadow Cliffs, and Chabot. Skunked at all >:(.

Hopefully this is all about to change though because I just picked up a bout this week! 12ft Klamath with a 5hp 4 stroke Merc!

Anyway I'm gonna spend the weekend getting it ready to take out. I'm hoping to head to Del Valle next weekend, so if anyone could give me any tips, or spots to try. What are the fish biting on right now? Anything would help!

Thanks!

Fishin510

johnbfishin
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the boards Fishin510 and congrats on the boat.
First, this time of year you won't need down riggers, top lining or with 1/4 to 1/2 oz weight will do just fine.
A lot of folks are using grubs, J5 or J7 rapalas or a spinner lure such as a wedding ring with a crawler. Bottom fishing at the south end while anchored is also productive if you don't mind fishing in a fleet.

If you do a search on Del valle you'll find about a days worth of reading to keep you busy when you're not working on your boat. ;)

Fishin510
01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
JohnBfishin, Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give it a try.

The Reel Deal
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I will oversimplify it for your first time out. There are other tactics such as grubs, Downriggers, etc that can help but for your first time out with a new boat keep it simple.

Get some j5, j-7, f-5, f-7 rapalas. if you can only get one, get a f-5 in Firetiger pattern (walmart carries them). Kastmasters also work well.

Do not use flashers, dodgers or anything like that. Just tie the rapala directly to the line using a Rapala Knot (google it to see how to tie it). Personally I like to avoid twists so I put a barrel swivel up about 3 feet from the lure.

Let out between 90-110' feet of line

Troll at 2.5 mph (bring a handheld GPS the first few times till you get a good feel for the speed).

Troll near shore, Swallow Bay and Herron bay have been fairly productive.

Have fun, good chance you will catch some nice sized trout.

Let us know how it goes.

-Jeff

Fishin510
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Reel Deal! I'll be sure to give your advice a try as well! I will definitely post a report to let you all know how I did.

The Reel Deal
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
also, get yourself a handheld VHF radio. tune to challen 69 to chat with other sniffers on the lake

Fishin510
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Its seems like a lot of fellow sniffers fish Del Valle on a regular basis, So I will definitely have to get one.

Woody
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Fishon510 The best advice I can give you is get a VHF radio. Then go to the top of the trout board page and signup for the Minifest that is planned for the 14th. You will learn more on that day listing to VHF then you would learn in the next year.

Also as John said do a search on Del Valle and start reading. Right now DV is pretty tough to troll it is changing form day to day hour to hour. But should settle down soon.

Woody

Fishin510
02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice Woody! I think I'll be doing that... 8-)

Fishin510
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Well Sunday is going to be the maiden voyage with the new boat. Everyone wish me luck. I'll be sure to post a report of my happenings after I get back!

Also be headed to the delta tomorrow on a friends boat, hopefully will find some luck out there too....

Backcountry
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Fishin510 - the fisherman that have replied to this thread can pretty much chart the bottom of DV without a sounder - guess what I'm saying is that they're spot on if you want to catch fish up there and have a good time to boot.

I'm planning on going up tomorrow, but may end up going Sunday if the weather is upside down in the morning.

Welcome to the board.

-Backcountry

Polebrother
02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Fishin510: *You probably already know this but your boat must pass a mussel inspection at Del Valle before you can launch and must be bone dry when you arrive. *If any water is found on the boat or trailer you will likely fail and be sent packing. *I'd hate for that to happen to you on your first trip to the lake. *During the inspection you will be asked to lower your outboard motor and if a drop of water trickles therefrom you will likely fail. *Total cost to enjoy your outing will be $20 which includes parking, launching, fishing and the $6 inspection fee. *Good luck and give us a report, good or bad, fast or slow, big or small. *Thanks. *

Old_School
02-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Fishin510,

I really dont think I can add anything else except have fun, and congrats on the new boat. See ya out there.

Old School

The Reel Deal
02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Fishin510,

Polebrother makes a good point. Not sure how the inspections will go in the rain. best bet would be not to plan on a time. just wait for some break in the weather, dry the boat and raise and lower the motor several times to make sure no water comes out. whatever you do, DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR AT HOME before going to the lake. According to the inspector, this is the #1 reason for people failing the inspections.

also, bring some towels and before you get to the inspection area, pull over and make sure your boat is dry.

have fun.

-Jeff

NorCal2500HD
02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
What are the inspectors doing when people go out when it rains?? Are they just not allowing it......

Fishin510
02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Didn't end up making it out there this weekend. I hit the Delta for cats with a couple buddies on Saturday. I was pretty worn out after that, plus the chance of rain. I decided the maiden voyage would have to wait.

Thanks for the heads up on the inspections. I've got the boat very well covered right now, not a drop getting in. Also got the motor on a stand in the garage so its not out in the rain either.

Thanks for the heads up guys!