PDA

View Full Version : Trout Plants

smokie
02-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Is Fish and Game saying what lakes will be receiving all the extra trout or are they keeping it a big secret?

Fishin510
02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I haven't heard anything,.....but I sure would like to know!

panther
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
I had posed this question to the folks at California Sportfishing Protection Alliance, and they suggested that I contact the DFG. So I did, and got this reply back on 1-12-09, "The Department of Fish and Game is currently in the process of reallocating our stocking allotments for 2009. What this means for any particular body of water I do not know, but what I can tell you is that in many locations the Department of Fish and Game will be planting more fish in waters in not impacted by the Court Order. These areas will be coordinated with the regional DFG staff to assure that the potential increase in stocking will not have adverse impacts on the environment."

So, I guess that's all we know for now.

Panther

phengly
02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
"...These areas will be coordinated with the regional DFG staff to assure that the potential increase in stocking will not have adverse impacts on the environment."

Let us know which ones and I GUARANTEE you the "impact to the enviroment" will be none as all the fish will be fished out in a few days. *;D The only enviromental impact would come from those few fisherpeople who litter and leave their trash behind.

SuperDave
02-05-2009, 06:19 AM
I've heard rumor of one particular lake that is now a giant hatchery pen. I plan on checking it out and reporting back.

Mikespyke
02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
SuperDave-

Can you at least tell us what region the lake is in (you big tease ;))?

mike_l
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Salmon King...I think you're probably right about the environmental impact...The economic impact is going to be some concessionaires will get a nice kiss, while whole towns like Kernville on the Kern River are gonna take a heck of a hit.

I'm not smart enugh to know the right and wrong of it all, but the dfg should have done their job on the EIR a long time ago and they dropped the flipping ball...and small businees guys in a lot of places are going to pay the price...too bad...

GutHookd
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
What the message tells me is that all the water that will still be stocked will be stocked with more fish than before.

johnbfishin
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
And the waters that aren't stocked could have some nice holdovers to be had.

hellbent
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
And the waters that aren't stocked could have some nice holdovers to be had.

I totally agree, it may just move some of the fisherman into other techniques- nothing wrong with getting better at what we do!

Look at Caples- they pulled out a total of 16,ooo fish during the relocation. *That just amazes me that a lake like that holds that many fish, there should be plenty around to grow bigger while they fight this issue out in court.

gbslade
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
DFG has been updating this page since the court ruling: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/stocking/

fishable_waters
02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
i noticed some of the places they wont plant, really dont get planted anyways. i'm curious though does this mean they wont plant salmon in those lakes too?

Captain Compassion
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
i noticed some of the places they wont plant, really dont get planted anyways. i'm curious though does this mean they wont plant salmon in those lakes too?

On the waters on the no plant list no non native fish of any species can be planted by the DFG including trout, bass, salmon, catfish etc. The two loopholes are that fish from private sources can be stocked if there is a permit for that stocking. Such as Amador. The other loophole is that fish that are native to the waters can be stocked. In theory the DFG can stock LCT in the Carson Rivers becauce they are native there.

CC