PDA

View Full Version : Dell Valle - this is why we fish

Backcountry
01-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Got up to DV early looking forward to catching some fish and catching up with some of the folks that fish DV regularly. Was not disappointed as I hooked up with Woody and JohnB early. Was disappointed however that my boat would not start. After monkeying around with it for almost an hour, still couldn’t get it to fire up. Had a thought it was the fuel pump, but didn’t want to commit insofar as I fired the boat up yesterday afternoon and it ran just fine. To make a long story short, I’m sitting at the dock like a dead duck (which essentially I was) when Woody and Mike swung by and offered a ride if I couldn’t get mine started (that’s why we fish – if someone is upside down, there’s always someone to lend a helping hand). Anyway, I told Woody that I just wanted to get the darn thing fixed so I passed and pulled the boat out of the water to get it home and fixed. Quick trip to the boat store to pick up a new fuel pump and I was back in business…headed back to the lake around 12:30. Passed Woody and Mike on the way in and they said it was tough today…figured it would be, although I hoped the afternoon bite might pick up. Nonetheless I just wanted to take my repair for a test drive. *I headed out toward Heron Bay and the boat was running good. Decided to drop lines and run through the back of Heron Bay – just a little while later I got a shout from Fishmaster to say hello *– it was good to talk to a familiar DV fisherman, especially considering I was not 100% certain my boat was on the up and up. (Fishmaster – enjoyed finally meeting you [in person] – thx for the info re: game hunting – do you bow hunt?
I didn’t catch any fish today, but I did have an opportunity to talk with some fellow fisherman who enjoy just being out there and as importantly are always willing to lend a helping hand.
Woody / Mike / JohnB / Mark –thank you. See you guys soon.

SlyDog
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Backcountry-Great report.Even though we don't know fellow sniffers it is good to know we are out there for one and another.It is all about fishing with good people.Not about catching fish.Hope to meet you and the others at the DelValle fest!!-SD

Klamdog
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Backcountry,
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the boat. What a drag, I know you haven't had a chance to get out for a while, and to have that happen-what a bummer! :( And yes, one of the best things about DV is the nice group of guys that fish out there. Today, willing to help you out, and always sharing info./etc. with others! I'm going to try to get out next weekend, hopefully things pick-up!

Polebrother
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Backcountry: *Excellent report. *Most serious anglers have had days like the one you experienced when the best laid plans simply don't work out. *Your resolve is quite evident by the fact you left the lake, tackled the problem and returned to splash all in the same day. *While the "catching" part didn't materialize as you'd hoped, you still "went fishing." *Agree with you 100%..."this is why we fish." *Your next trip will be better, for sure!

reefman
01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I kinda had one of those mornings too launched the boat at 7:10 pulled the starter rope and ended up with half of it in my hand yep rope broke so I hooked up the electric and started out with that had 1 in the boat by 8:00am JSR-5 FT then I really did not want to deal with nimits freeway in the shallows so I started off to the narrow and boy did I catch something sanged on full rod and reel fully set up still locked into the pole holder ;D ;D :o

So If somebody can tell me what kind of pole /reel,and set up they had on it when it got ripped of the boat. oh yeah pole holder too. nice set up. you can have you stuff back.

So one fish and one fishing pole is all I caught today real slow.

I know that full trout Jones pulled out a 9 pounder today.

The Reel Deal
01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
one good thing about the low lake level is you can find some good stuff. I have gotten some nice lures in the last few weeks, just troll close to shore and keep your eyes fixed on all the roots and trees that are usually underwater.

I have gotten a few Rapalas, bombers and such.

fishmaster
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Backcountry, It was nice talking with you today. Glad to see your back on the water. We ended up with 5 fish today, all caught on rapalas. 1-Heron bay,2-swallow bay and 2-south end of the lake. I Will be back out tomorrow with the family. Yes I do bow hunt.

The Reel Deal
01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Fishmaster, how did thre boat do? was this the maiden voyage?

stonesfan
01-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I know that full trout Jones pulled out a 9 pounder today. [/quote]

Why are all the BIG FISH being taken from the Lake before the
Del Valle Mini Fest in March........................................ :'(

Stones [smiley=rollingstones.gif]Fan

STRIPER_STEVE
01-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice to hear about good people out willing help one another. I went out today around 2pm ..thought I would try a few hours with " Fishing Princess Emma" so we did .. Figured for only a couple hours we would try banking it. We took our bikes and rode to the narrows where we were graced with a great evening but no fish. Idid see a couple small fish being taken out on stringers but didnt see any caught..................... Was graced with the nonfisherman buzzing me on the bank ( 25 ft. off the shore) with rental boats. I had to actually tell one guy to take a hike when he was heading straight for me anly 15 ft. off shore.
Also did some scouting for the Minifest.

SlyDog
01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Stonesfan-There will be lots of big fish for the fest.I ordered them from friends in low places!!-SD

johnbfishin
01-31-2009, 10:10 PM
What I can say is it was nice day to be on the water and January didn't get by without the boat getting wet.
Not even a bump for me trolling, but it was nice to get out and BS with some sniffers.
That's cool you got'er going Rick and back on the water, that's impressive.

There is some redemption to be had here it's just a matter of when. ;)

sgtschlang
01-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Backcountry,

Was that you in the white/red glass 18' boat that I pushed-off of twice from the dock at about 7:10 this AM? I was having some motor issues myself sorry for the boat "spooning" either way I'm glad you got the boat running again - been there done that it is no fun! I think I saw you top lining two rods solo in HB about 12:30 and then you hit the face of the dam E to W.

We had an good day today in the SS Skunkmaster II put 12 bass to the boat all except one in the 2-3 lb class all largies except one nice smallie. We lost a striper to Mr. Farmer...

All of the yrs exclusively fishing trout at DV at this time of yr we always put a lot of fish into the cooler on the bank in HB vs. trolling I saw VACANCY at all of our old bank spots. Also saw all of our favorite trolling lanes wide open. We have always killed the fish trolling when the mercury hits about 60-62 degrees anything lower than that our success rate always better from bank. Always avoided the south end (Coney Island) in favor of HB and 99% of the time the Trout Gods were good to us.

Tight behinds,

SGT Schlang

Backcountry
02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words - am looking forward to meeting everyone (real time) at the mini-fest.

Fishing Spirit - you can be fairly certain the rig you snagged is not fishmasters - if you look at his "webbot" signature he'd still be attached to it yikes!!!

sgtschlang - no worries - I was almost to the point where if my boat sank right then and there it would not have mattered that much ;)

For those of you that headed out today I hope things picked up. I decided to take care of a couple of other minor issues on the boat to make sure I don't have another morning like yesterday.

See you all next weekend.

-Backcountry