PDA

View Full Version : Something Cool I want to try

fat_fish
01-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I've only got two of these native trout down. *Now I just need to go back and do it again with documentation and try some new fishing spots.

DFG News Release
DFG Recognizes the 100th Angler To Complete Heritage Trout ChallengeJan. 7, 2009Contact:
Harry Morse, DFG Office of Communications, * *(916) 322-8962 *
Roger Bloom, DFG Fisheries Branch, * *(916) 464-6355 *

Sacramento - Gavin O'Leary of Fresno is the 100th angler to complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge. The challenge requires anglers to catch six of the eleven types of trout native to California. The California Heritage Trout Challenge highlights the diversity of native trout and provides an incentive for anglers to learn about native trout and their habitats.

This special program offers a unique angling alternative. While many California anglers fish for planted trout, pursuing wild native trout offers an intriguing alternative. These native trout can be found from San Diego County to the Oregon border and offer anglers an extraordinary look at California's heritage.

“We worked to develop a program that would highlight the diversity of native trout found in California and provide an incentive for anglers to learn about native trout and their habitats,” said Roger Bloom, Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Program Manager for the Heritage & Wild Trout Program.

Anglers who complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge receive a custom certificate listing the name of the angler, color illustrations of the six different trout caught and a notation on the date and location of each catch.

“The certificate I was awarded for achieving the California Heritage Trout Challenge is one my most treasured documents,” said Steve Berg of Carmichael.

“The Heritage Trout Challenge was a great way to introduce my son to fishing the backcountry,” said Chris Bell of Sebastopol. “He is hooked - and so am I -- on pursuing native trout throughout California and beyond.”

The first 100 anglers completing the challenge came from 11 different states. There are no time restrictions and the releasing of fish is encouraged and may be required depending on the regulations for different waters.

Anglers interested in participating in the challenge can contact a DFG regional office or the Heritage & Wild Trout Program headquarters in Rancho Cordova. For information on drainages, different waters, where these fish are available and a downloadable application, please visit www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing.

cool stuff.
ff

Darin
01-30-2009, 02:25 AM
That is a proud certificate to have. Anyone here have one? That is a question that I have been meaning to ask on this board. This was my newyears resolution for 2009 ;)

These three subspecies of cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki) and eight forms of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) are your targets to complete the Challenge.

"Catching six different forms of native trout from their historic drainages may take you to varied locations around the state. Some may be caught in roadside waters while others may only be caught in wilderness areas"

Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki)

coastal cutthroat trout

Lahontan cutthroat trout

Paiute cutthroat trout

Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)[/b]

coastal rainbow trout

Eagle Lake rainbow trout

McCloud River redband trout

Goose Lake redband trout

Warner Lakes redband trout

Kern River rainbow trout

California golden trout

Little Kern golden trout

Captain Compassion
01-30-2009, 04:33 AM
I think I got 6 or 7 but that's over 35 years of fishing and most before the program started.

Costal Cutthroat. (Mattole River)
LCT., W. (Carson, Heenan)
Costal Rainbow (Many Places)
Kern River Rainbow (Upper Kern)
Both the Goldens (Litle Kern, South Fork, GTW)
Redband, Not sure which. (Upper feeder streams of Blue Lake Modoc)

Not much documentation either. ::)

CC

Fishin510
01-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Wow! That would be a great achievement to have under you belt. I could only hope to one day say that I have achieved this.

CHEESECAKELADY
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the boards and good luck in your challenge to catch and document the task ahead of you.

Dee

NorCal2500HD
01-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Are there any pics of all the different types of native trout for reference?

epzamora
01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
yes, there are photos of the fish on the web site of the organization sponsoring this challenge. for even more photos, embrace google as your friend, the internet will be wide open for you.

eric
fresno, ca.

fishingfan
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
wow. i might just try that out this year... ;D