PDA

View Full Version : Trout planting at Lake DelValle

SlyDog
01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I talked with the fisheries manager for the East Bay Regional Parks today.He is in charge of the trout planting program at Lake DelValle.I was interested in the size of trout now being planted and the siize of trout for future plants.He told me that each week 750 pounds to 1000 pounds of trout are planted into DelValle which are purchased by the East Bay parks department.These fish come from the Lassen hatchery.15% of each load are trout in the 4 to 6 pound range with smaller fish ranging down to the 2 to 3 pound range. Larger fish in the 10 to 12 pound range have been planted from time to time.This is not a normal plant.From time to time the hatchery has extra big fish and includes them in the plant.Big fish in the 10 pound range cost 10 dollars a pound and are not purchased as part of the regular program.The Calif Dept of Fish and Game also plants smaller trout from time to time.This is a great program.Wanted to share this info with fellow sniffers.I will be there Thursday In hopes of some action.Looking forward to meeting up with some sniffers!-SD

STRIPER_STEVE
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Sly thanks for the post..... Finding it hard to believe that any lake would pay 100 bucks for a fish.... Then again I've been wrong before.

tragedyspring
01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
wow! Ive caught a 10.1 lb and a 9.14 lb there last year, what is that like 200 bucks?

fishmaster
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems like alot more people are fishing Del Valle in the past few years. I wonder if they take that into consideration when determining the plant quantities.

SlyDog
01-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Fishmaster-I don't know for sure,but it seems to me that they stock almost every week all year long,where in the past they missed a few weeks now and then.I would like think the amount of fish they plant is linked to the amount of money they collect at the gate.

Salvage
01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Ten dollars per pound doesn't sound too unreasonable given the cost and time to raise a trophy-sized trout. The word-of-mouth and media value of catching such a fish is probably worth it for the reservoir managers who need to justify their angler fees. Given the increasing costs to the average angler, increasing the size of hatchery fish will probably be the trend of the future.

Cheers,
Salvage

dinos marine
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
so how mush does it cost to fish the lake? i have a cartopper, do they charge for the boat inspections as well?

Backcountry
01-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Thx for the info SlyDog - now if mother nature cooperates and the lake gets full by spring we should be in for another year of great fishing.

Cost - 4 bucks for daily fishing permit and 6 bucks to launch a boat - cartop might be a bit cheaper.

-Backcountry

Woody
01-27-2009, 06:30 AM
+parking

I'm not sure how much any of it costs.

All I know is my wife handed me my new all inclusive annual EBMUD pass last night.

Includes:
-parking
-Launch
-Fishing
-Dog

Woody

johnbfishin
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I believe a car top is 3 bucks to launch and of course the inspection fee.
The annual pass is the way to go though, I get the parking & dog pass every year. I think it's fairly recent that they expanded to boat & fishing permits, I'll have to look into that for next year.

Jigster
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
+parking

I'm not sure how much any of it costs.

All I know is my wife handed me my new all inclusive annual EBMUD pass last night.

Includes:
-parking
-Launch
-Fishing
-Dog

Woody

That's a $250 membership for residents of Alameda and Contra Costa County, you lucky dog! ;) The regular membership (without the launch and fishing fees) is $50.

J

reefman
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I to have the pass its great. I think it paid for itself the first two months. I figure it cost me 17bucks every time that was before all this boat banding BS and I was going to Quarry lake like twice a week. So it paid for itself pretty Quick. But its up at the end of March. So almost time to get another. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this pass if you go as much as some of us do.

Woody
01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Fishing spirit don't order your new pass tomuch before the old one expires. Because they will just send out the new one with a new date. I basicly lost a month off my old one.

Old one was good until Feb 28th just got the new one and it expires Jan. 31st 2010.

Woody

dinos marine
01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
so this east bay pass, 250 for the year. does it include all the ebparks? san pablo, lafayette, dellvalle, quarry lakes? if this is true, i might think about that...... ive been out to amador at least that many times since october.
dino

reefman
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
thanks woody thats good to know

It is for all EBRP I use it for just getting into parks to park even if Im just taking the family on a hiking trip (sunol regional park)

reefman
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM
be out there saturday to slam them, try out my new used motor that was suppose to be seized but yet started right up... 25bucks 9.6 hp sea king.lol

Backcountry
01-28-2009, 04:32 AM
I second Woody's comments about renewing to early. Last year I renewed (online) shortly after recieving the renewal notice from ebparks - subsequently lost a month. This year I renewed (online) a little over two weeks before expiration. Got the card ontime with the proper date stamps.

See you guys up there this weekend - I may go Friday and will report if i do

-Backcountry

Jetspray
01-28-2009, 05:08 AM
That $10 per pound may include transportatin and handling fees. If you had a tank full of 10 lb fish you would have less to plant than say 1 to 2 lb class. They do a good job of transporting fish and planting them, I just hope the state fixes their problems in this area to keep the program going......Jetspray

johnbfishin
01-28-2009, 08:10 AM
so this east bay pass, 250 for the year. does it include all the ebparks? san pablo, lafayette, dellvalle, quarry lakes? if this is true, i might think about that...... ive been out to amador at least that many times since october.
dino

San Pablo isn't an EBRP, I'm not sure about Lafayette. There is a pamphlet you should be able to get at any park (kiosk) that lists all the parks. and if there is fishing or not.
As was said it comes in handy not only for fishing but just to get out and enjoy the outdoors. The park system offers some great hiking, biking or horse back riding. Little Yosemite in Sunol and there are some falls above Delvalle (when it rains), are just a couple of cool places that come to mind.